Parsons Brinckerhoff

www.pbworld.com

Parsons Brinckerhoff Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Parsons Brinckerhoff – Redding – “Paving on Cypress Rd. in Redding California”

Parsons Brinckerhoff CEO and Director George J. Pierson

George J. Pierson

Pros
  • The staff at PB are generally supportive and the work/life balance is excellent(in 17 reviews)

• There are some great people there but most of them are leaving(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not connected to work being performed "in the trenches"(in 15 reviews)

• Most of the good technical staff either quit or have been made redundant in the last 2 years(in 7 reviews)

PB Life

CADD (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosfriendly office environment , challenging projects , great benefits

Conspoor management, poor communication , horrible commute

Advice to Senior Managementconsider budgeting for staff training , accept occasional telecommunication as a viable option for remote or long distance employees

Expired Consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good place to learn politics and emulate high paying executives / managers role without doing much. This is especially true at Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne offices. The good values of the past have been eroded away with the appointment of young and inexperience managers.

ConsThere are too many inexperience engineers in recent years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot a good time selling to Atkins or anyone. Time to change those managers who are focusing on useless proposals and ventures.

No strategy, no direction, poor future

Business Development Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff at PB are generally supportive and the work/life balance is excellent.

ConsThe previously positive work culture has now been eroded and morale is terrible. The large number of people made redundant, poor management, and lack of strategy mean that the outlook for PB is bleak. However, now that Balfour Beatty has put PB for sale, a potential new owner just may rectify the problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementProceed quickly with the sale of PB and start again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost its way

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsNice offices and good locations.

ConsThe company is currently being managed into the ground by poor middle management beholden to balfour beattys failed country model. What was once a fantastic collaborative company is now siloed with an almost combative internal structure. Reward is being given to negative management practices based upon misaligned kpi's.

Advice to Senior ManagementRewind the clock and go back to basics.

Average job

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe pay is very competitive and the benifits are good.

ConsLarge company and problems with management.

Good first job experience

Engineer II (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsA very good training ground for fresh grad as we are given a lot of jobs to do

ConsNo work life balance and no satisfaction in terms of employee's welfare.

Good company struggling in a tight market.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPB has a strong history of overcoming challenges

ConsThe relationship with staff and the business has become strained, so until it improves (and trust returns both ways), the business won't be able to make big leaps forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe serious about leadership.

Good start, lost some traction now

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Adelaide (Australia)

ProsWhen I started there was quite a bit of positive energy, especially around new technologies and staff benefits. They've slowly eroded over time - particularly since the integration with Balfour Beatty and since the engineering sector has faced a downturn.

ConsThere are some terrible managers and a culture of avoidance that sweeps some of these things under the rug, so they end up staying where they are or are promoted. A lot of lip service paid to change and surveying of staff, but little seems to come from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe decisive and set direction for staff. Clamp down on teams who waste money when times are tight. Consider reinstating some of the flexibility policies that made the company more attractive than the competition 5 years ago.

Good Company but can improve to be the best.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood culture until Balfour Beaty took control. Now they are selling them hopefully this will return. Flexible working. Good work colleagues. Professionalism.

ConsBureaucratic. Minimal salary reviews. Make sure you negotiate the max possible salary when negotiating a contract. Limited training.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for staff. Give mid-tier management opportunity to move into senior positions. Reward on a regular basis.

Great Company

Disaster Inspector (Current Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsA pioneer in the industry and one of the oldest engineering companies in this country.

ConsNeed more diversity , especially in mid to upper management positions. Really across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to address diversity issues in management and also in the common work place.

Worked for Parsons Brinckerhoff? Contribute to the Community!