Parsons Brinckerhoff

Updated September 26, 2014
2.9

Parsons Brinckerhoff CEO and Director George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Pros
  • if you get a great manager they are very supporting of work / life balance (in 19 reviews)

• There are some great people there but most of them are leaving (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not connected to work being performed "in the trenches" (in 16 reviews)

• No work life balance and no satisfaction in terms of employee's welfare (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

management

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work if you are an engineer, a lot of career development opportunities, mentoring etc.

Cons

Not such a hot place to work if you are not an engineer.

They have just been bought and hopefully the much needed change will happen - starting with a review of senior leadership.

Plenty of potential

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time

Pros

Range of work, Available Expertise, Dynamic work

Cons

Poor management, not enough senior staff, no feedback

Mediocre

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

nice people and good social group and activities. Reasonable interaction with other offices across the country.

Cons

pay is very low, and is difficult to argue case to increase. No loyalty to long standing employees.
    New employees are looked after much better.

look after your current employees, lots of existing employees are not happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where do I start?

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WSP may bring leadership, vision, hope and decent management systems.
    Some good people remain.

Cons

Well, I'm sitting here at 9pm on a Friday night, waiting/praying for that our rodent powered computer network recovers from its freeze and hoping I haven't lost too much work on the document I am going to spend the weekend working on. I have to work the weekend because some dolt in another city bought a job from a client I was already working for, and who gave me great reviews, without getting me to review the fee. I bet they're having a good weekend.... 10 mins into the crash and things aren't looking hopeful. So here goes on cons:
    - despite the concerted effort that PB put towards cutting it out through redundancies and just being nasty, there is plenty of dead wood, particularly in the 'responsibility free' tiers of the company (lower level execs)
    - we have some of the worst and most inconceivably unproductive management systems you can imagine (e.g. we spend more time working out how to use our risk management system than actually identifying, assessing and managing risks)
    - literally nothing else matters, other than profit. And pretending that we operate safely. But you can't spend money on safety unless you bill it.
    ... computer hasn't recovered in 20 mins. I'm going to do something else...

Start doing anything. No-one at the actual client facing level knows what you really do, where you think your taking the company or why you deserve your jobs.

management review

Former Employee - Safety Manager  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - Safety Manager in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company overall with some fantastic projects and some fantastic leaders

Cons

Lack of techincal competence. In certain operationsl, incompetent people occupy high position as they have been there long enough but is counter productive and create frustartions to younger talents

Identify those with big mouth but in effect non competent and non performing

Lost in a maze of re-organizations

Former Employee - Senior Supervising Planner
    Former Employee - Senior Supervising Planner

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary was good, as were benefits. I worked with some of the brightest people I've ever met, most of whom were very generous with their time and expertise.

Cons

I had no support, the organization was dysfunctional, there was low office morale, and there was no trust in the leadership. People lied to my face, After being bought by Balfour Beatty about 5 years ago, it was recently sold to a Canadian firm. so I'm sure the confusion will only get worse.

No long term development

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good projects to work on.

Cons

No commitment to the employee. They will hire to fill a position on a project. No commitment to career development and continued employment. They say they will share work between offices but that is not the case.

Work harder to develop staff. To many overpaid managers. Overhead rate to high. Priced out of may markets. Need to get lean.

Strategic consulting and advisory services for A&E firm

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very large organization with international opportunities offering potential experience on most infrastructure projects in the US and the rest of the world. Possess a very good reputation in the US and has close connections with key actors. Some excellent (too few) senior managers and leaders.

Cons

Limited career growth opportunities and no financial incentives for high performers especially for the junior consultants that have left by dozens in the last 24 months. Very bureaucratic and process driven leaving little room for innovation and new ideas. Advisory services are (I feel) intentionally limited / constrained in terms of ambition and business opportunities. The firm number one business is planning and design and does not sufficiently leverage the quality of the advisory practice.

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great local and regional reputation with high standards. Well respected. Opportunities to work on a range of projects and locations.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge due to high profile, fast-track projects and schedules. Lack of retention incentives. Some offices feel a little 'top heavy.'

Very Structured Company with excellent professional development opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager  in  Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Structured Company with excellent professional development opportunities

Cons

Flaws as any Thailand based consulting company (due to the contract structure with the client)

Parsons Brinckerhoff Photos

Paving on Cypress Rd. in Redding California

+ Add Photo

Worked for Parsons Brinckerhoff? Contribute to the Community!