Parsons Corporation

Updated October 19, 2014
3.2

Parsons Corporation CEO Chuck Harrington
Chuck Harrington

Pros
  • Majority of co-workers are team players and great people to be around everyday (in 10 reviews)

• ESOP-Employee Stock Ownership Plan (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant focus by upper management of improving the company share price detracts from core values (in 18 reviews)

• No work/life balance or respect for the employees with children (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

best working environment

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Parsons Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

people are nice. professional project management system

Cons

office locates at Galleria, bad commute experience

Pretty good

Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, great people, good learning opportunity.

Cons

Timesheets daily, HR confusion and errors. Decent benefits and time-off policies. Good work-life balance with opportunities to network.

A great place to work and grow.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like the people, the opportunities, pay and benefits.

Cons

Along with opportunities comes relocation and travel. If you're adverse to this, this is not the place for you.

Keep up the good work!

Deteriorating

Current Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company that has diversified so that there are a wide array of opportunities all over the place. I've had three managers, two were outstanding! One was awful and he was let go (I don't know why).

Cons

Salary increases barely keep up with cost of living. No matter how wonderful your performance is, there is NO correlation. In order to remain competitive, they simply do not compensate you for that UNLESS you bring in new business. Accounting systems are abysmal and it can be months before you get reimbursed for your work-related travel expenses. Company web portal is very disorganized, not cohesive. Poorly managed administrative systems.

When your bottom line does not include rewarding your best workers (not just those who bring in business), you lose them. That is why I have decided to leave after 6 years.

No room for growth

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were decent for the area
    Very interested in employee safety

Cons

Too many cuts were made in overhead and put a lot of pressure on the employee to find billable hours (NOT their supervisor).
    If you weren't willing to go to the middle east you were passed over for any other opportunity

Old Style but Awesome in their Niche

Current Employee - Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some very good co-workers Good salary and benefits Low level managers care about doing good work and treating employees well. Also the company can organize and execute big projects, and small engineering firms cannot do that.

Cons

One of my coworkers once described the company: the line managers act like they are managing the corner gas station and the upper management acts like they are managing General Motors.

Warning: there is talk about grants of company stock through the ESOP. While this looks good on paper, it is risky. Unlike other companies where employees get stock, Parsons does not allow you to sell it back to the company when you leave. You have to keep it until you are in your 60s. By then your stock could be worth a lot of money. Or the company could go bankrupt when you are 61, leaving you with nothing.

Go public. This will impose market discipline on the management, which often seems to run the company for their own benefit, not for the stockholders.

This was a seasonal job from 2011 to 2014

Current Employee - Assistant Structure Representative in Manteca, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Structure Representative in Manteca, CA

I have been working at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

worked with California Transportation/professionals. Was left on my own with decisions backed by CAL TANS. Respected My past experience.

Cons

Had to travel 2-3 hours to get to job site. There wasn't much chance for personal growth. Shortness of duration of job. Did not work during summer which should have been peek time to work. due to CAL Trans not hiring consultants.

Very Satisfying

I have been working at Parsons Corporation

Pros

Being able to work with some of the most talented people in the world.

Cons

Haven't had any negative experiences.

Keep hiring the best and brightest out there.

Stay away from this company

I worked at Parsons Corporation full-time

Pros

During several years of my employment at Parsons I did not find any pros. If somebody will eventually buy them, the new owners will have a hard time to solve all these problems.

Cons

Where to start? Absence of promotions. Impossible to build a career. The upper management cannot even comprehend that the employees want career advancement. The deadlines and allocated budgets are absolutely unreasonable in many projects. The company ignores business opportunities. Too much focus on small technical details without any business vision. No attention to business development. No growth strategy. Too much office politics. No work-life balance. The CEO is homegrown. He spent all his career at Parsons and never had an the exposure to practices of other firms. The previous CEO, Jim McNulty, could not do his job either. He instituted the culture of fear. I recommend to stay away from this company.

Please exercise at least some integrity in your actions.

Disappointing stock performance

Former Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Parsons Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, co-workers. Sometimes you get good and interesting projects. Big company allows you access to people who are knowledgeable in various fields.

Cons

I haven't worked at Parsons in a long time, so I can't comment on current conditions, but I wanted to share historical stock prices. Parsons stock price is announced once a year

1989 $14.78
    2011 69
    2012 ?
    2013 61
    2014 62

Between 1989 and 2014, stock went up by a factor of 4.19. S&P500 index went from 297.4 (1/3/89) to 1789.59 (1/2/14) - a factor of 5.99

That works out to a compound annual growth rate of 5.9% for Parsons and 7.4% for the S&P 500. (This isn't exactly apple and oranges because most S&P500 stocks pay divideds and Parsons no longer does).

Comparing to Fluor, a direct competitor that is a public stock. At start of 2001, Fluor stock was $13.78/share. At start of 2014, it was $75.33. This is a multiple of 5.47, and a compound annual growth rate of 14.0%. During the same period Parsons went up by a factor of 2.30, for a growth rate of 6.6%.

Parsons Corporation Photos