Parsons Corporation

Parsons Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Parsons Corporation CEO Chuck Harrington

Chuck Harrington

Pros
  • Majority of co-workers are team players and great people to be around everyday(in 9 reviews)

• ESOP-Employee Stock Ownership Plan(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant focus by upper management of improving the company share price detracts from core values(in 16 reviews)

• The senior management will turn a blind eye towards managers who indulge in unethical behavior but generate profit(in 7 reviews)

Excellent Company

Associate Construction Engineer/Specialist (Current Employee) Aiken, SC

ProsBenefits, experience, decent pay, great benefits and 401k

ConsBig Company, tough to move up in salary and job level

Challenging but rewarding.

Associate Engineer (Current Employee) Perth Amboy, NJ

Pros9/80 schedule allows for every other friday off. Great coworkers, and young staff.

ConsTendency for managers to micromanage, complicated reimbursement system, not a steady workplace.

Parsons offers a diverse environment, and a great opportunity for career development

ProsHard work and efforts are respected. Great benefits. Flexible to a variety of schedules (part-time, work from home, etc.)

ConsMost good employees work far more than 40 hours/week. If there isn't enough work on the table, headcount is reduced, making for unstable job security.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good government contract job with good benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt provides a regular paycheck and benefits when things are going on schedule. Excellent emphasis on employee safety and diversity.

ConsThere are down time periods where necessary busy work could be accomplished. There is always time to do something meaningful.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make more direct observations and direct evaluations. Although a team effort was advocated it wasn't "backed up by management".

It provided a job when I needed one

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, VA

ProsOffice Culture is great! Being on a project you get to work with so many people from different areas.

ConsThe focus is on engineers for career growth. Nearly impossible to move up on a project or learn something new. Everyone is not offered the same benefits. RIF's are no fun

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the supporting team, not just the engineers. Offer the complete benefits package to ALL employees.

So risk-averse that its hard to imagine growth.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsParsons is a huge corporation with several different divisions. Their offices are spread throughout the US and the world. Telecommuting is common and accepted, which is a huge pro. Salaries are competitive. Support staff (Talent Management, Procurement, Finance, Contracts, Project Controls, etc.) are excellent and responsive.

ConsParsons is so risk-averse that innovation or new growth is hard to imagine. Parsons grows by acquiring smaller companies with no apparent strategy for melding corporate cultures. The markets that Parsons chooses to focus on seem to change with the wind and its all about short-term gain with no appetite for the long game. Benefits, particularly PTO, are antiquated and the bureaucracy is so rigid that there is no room for negotiation with regard to PTO. Even at a high level, PTO for a new employee is only 2 weeks. The notion of "One-Parsons"--that is to say, working with and across Global Business Units--is a farce. In reality, cooperation between the GBUs is extremely difficult and not supported by Upper Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management of Parsons Government Services is extremely risk-averse and almost entirely focused on the US market. With the exception of Parsons' large presence in the Middle East, Parsons Management demonstrates no desire or appetite for expanding into other areas of the world--a stance that benefits Parsons US and international competitors.

Good and fun experience, can be better

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood company to work for, excellent benefits. Many of co-workers are team players and fun to work with.

ConsManagement needs to reach out beyond middle management from interns to younger professionals who are often limited in communication & growth. Limited growth opportunity in spite of good learning curve.

Very professional company and a good place to work.

Project Manager, Principal (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsReasonable compensation, good training programs, offer reasonable career growth. Employee stock plan. Good insurance. Enjoyable and professional team members.

ConsCompany is focusing on the middle east for growth more limited USA opportunities. Company does not perform direct construction work as a part of their core strategy.

Great Company when there's Work and you're in the ESOP

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsESOP (employee stock ownership plan)

ConsCompany quickly lays off unneeded employees, rather than trying to find work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on long-term investments, rather than chasing performance with acquisitions. Give regions and acquisitions regional or business-line BD budgets, so that the domestic market does not shrink and lose market share to our competitors. When opportunities are greater, increase BD budgets if win ratios are being maintained, rather than holding to an annual plan, and turning down work. Keep the backlog alive!

CSA Construction/Safety Superintendent

CSA Construction/Safety Superintendent (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat company, I've worked on a number of different projects for Parsons and the atmosphere was team oriented and always worked with a nice bunch of people that turned into life long friends

ConsThe only issue I have is the length of time between projects, it could be a couple of month to 6 months. I'm currently waiting for the next project.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your Superintendents and realize that one super can't be involved in all aspects of a project and be effective. There needs to be a team of supers to cover an entire project to perform in a way to benefit Parsons and their relationship with there clients.

Worked for Parsons Corporation? Contribute to the Community!