Parsons the New School for Design

Updated January 11, 2015
Updated January 11, 2015
4.0

CEO

Great for adjunct position, with obvious limitations

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Creative, motivated students; well-run; good facilities; excellent support from tech folks. Overall, great culture-- creative, up to date, and focused on excellence. The head of my department is supportive, smart, and totally on the ball, and in general I have had good experiences with colleagues.

Cons

An adjunct position has obvious downsides as far as pay, benefits and opportunities for advancement compared to a tenure track position. But if the main goal is flexibility and/or supplemental income, then this position is a reasonable option.

EXCELLENCE

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great creative staff, very open minded and teach very effective theoretical design approaches that train the mind to open up to endless possibilities while, staying contentious of modern global issues in design.

Cons

No cons worth writing about.

Excellent experience

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible time: you pick your own hours, self monitor: you have full responsibility for your job and you only report to your supervisor once a week.

Cons

Home base: it is difficult to work from home because you have to be very responsible to make it work.

Not exactly sure where kid's tuition goes... but we could make some educated and observational guesses.

Current Employee - Admission Counselor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Admission Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Domestic and international travel, seeing student art from around the world, the brand is recognized, comp time, take free classes. If you have a family life, you are out of there by 5pm and don't have to take work home with you.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are extremely political, no communication from up top, no raises, no individualized recognition, more corporate than in recent past due to new management. Since the very expensive and very new building went up on fifth ave, some admin jobs have been talked about becoming obsolete in order to help pay for the building. Just get ready to remain professionally stagnant.

Since you obviously have to make decisions for us as a corporation, why don't you first ask us what we think. Simply ask your staff what we think, so that you may at least trrrrrrry to make the most informed decision. Making blind decisions that trickle down to eventually surprise us, is not effective communication. Also, please don't say that we are all replaceable and expendable. It keeps office morale extremely low.

They don't pay much

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, laid back atmosphere

Cons

They really don't pay much. If you want to keep great people, you have to pay them enough so that they can live in NYC.

Pay your employees reasonable salaries.

Passionate staff, always changing, but HIGHLY disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Parsons the New School for Design full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Excellent benefits--as of 2012, f/t admin staff received 22 vacation days, unlimited sick days, plus several personal days and floating holidays. Clerical staff are unionized under Teamsters, so it is great that those staff members are protected and granted good benefits. Also, tuition waivers, solid health, vision, dental, life insurance, 401K, etc.

2. Flexible--of course, each department is differently run, but overall, the institution understands the need for flexibility for its workers.

3. Robust HR departmetn--like anywhere else, the HR department isn't *really* there to protect workers rights but, rather, to protect the institution, but the New School HR dept has a fantastic staff of highly trained, dedicated, helpfu professionasl. They offer numerous trainings throughout the year open to all staff and faculty, including trainings for new managers, "managing up," and many other topics dealing with common but challenging workplace issues.

4. Always changing--this is sort of a con, as well, but it is nice that it never gets boring because you don't know what small or large change is coming next at the school.

5. ENGAGED STUDENTS--The students at New School/Parsons are incredible. They truly are trying to make the world a better place; this is part of the mission of the school and is true for so many students there. From on-campus and off- protests, sit-ins, and other activism, it reminds you that you are working for something important, rather than just a money machine (which the school is NOT!).

Cons

1. HIGHLY DISORGANIZED--I can't stress enough how much of a mess the place is! With all its drastic name and organizational changes over the last decade, the school barely knows who it is itself. Departments are constantly being reorganized, and usually without the input of the experts in that particular field. Certain upper administrators make decisions about how to combine, change, or eliminate certain offices and departments, and it has been to the detriment of the school and to student experience in many cases.

2. Pay is low--This drastically varies from one department to the next, but overall, the pay is very, very low. There was a salaray freeze from about 2009-2012, and is probably still going on, so no one was getting the generous 3% raise we usually got.

3. Take it too personal--Many "strong personalities" have great influence just because they've either been there a long time or have the right element of pushiness, and if you can't push back, you won't get the things you ask for. Many of these "strong personalities" take these too personally, and I found it often difficult to deal with bosses who could not leave their personal baggage at home every day; it often influenced their work relationships and decisions.

Look to the experts when determining how best to reorganize the school. Don't just go with the fanciest person sitting at the board table.

Good colleagues but overstretched staff.

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits: health care (plus dental and vision), many vacation days, free courses, summer Fridays off. Leadership can be great, depending on who the dean is. Lots of interesting colleagues and work being done. Good feelings of collegiality.

Cons

Staff and faculty are overstretched with what they are expected to do. Many feel under appreciated in terms of the work they and their departments do. Departments are often praised on their work but then asked to sacrifice something for the "greater good" of the university. Pay, as with most non-profits, can be low.

Great for students

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design as a contractor

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is super supportive. Great place to work when studying at the new school. Would recommend it highly.

Cons

Getting paid can be a bit of a pain. They have a very antiquated way of paying students (slips, pay periods, order numbers) it's very complicated.

Instructor at Parsons...

I have been working at Parsons the New School for Design

Pros

Nice instructors, great students, great facilities...

Cons

Bureaucracy, seniority structure, not enough computers sometimes...

Unsustainable as a career.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor

I worked at Parsons the New School for Design as a contractor

Pros

Facilities, Freedom, Students, Creative Environment.

Cons

Salary, Health Insurance, Benefits, Community.