www.partek.com

Tom Downey

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Partek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company with good values and one that is strong ethically. A line-up of employees that have an abundance of talent, endless vision, and treat one another like family. A company that recognizes that their staff are people and not just employees.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement vary for staff and are contingent on the development and growth of business. For developers and engineers, the possibilities are weighted more on product growth which has been healthy, stable, and significant over the company's history.

Continue fostering a family-type environment.

Great place to Work

I have been working at Partek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Interesting work with nice and interesting people
    2) Variety of tasks so I'm never bored
    3) Presented with new challenges that allow me to learn and grow
    4) I get to wear many hats, so I can try out new roles and responsibilities enabling me to make informed future career decisions
    5) Satisfaction of knowing that what I do matters and the work the company produces matters
    6) No bureaucracy, political headaches, or insane requests
    7) Reasonable rules, policies, and felixible working hours

Cons

Just the normal things one would find at any small company. The pros far outweigh the cons though.

Consider adding another layer of management. It would free your time to focus on other things, speed decisions, give more oversight, and give employees additional advancement opportunities.

Great small company, best kept secret in St Louis.

Current Employee - Field Applications Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Applications Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Partek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined Partek right off the bench and academia. Having no industry experience, I was scared of making the big jump. But after working here for almost year, I can say it was the best career decision I have ever made. I finally found a job where my efforts are appreciated. I thought selling out to the commercial side would waste all my previous scientific training. On the contrary, my training comes in very handy and I am even learning a lot more than before as I have to keep abreast with current trends in genomics. I am also becoming familiar with the business side of science. And with our partnership with many companies, my network and scope expanded exponentially. Being a small company, I wear a lot of hats that all my skills are collectively being honed. I do have to step up my game but it’s been a great and I’m never bored.

People are nice and I find the management does appreciate the work of employees. Because of some remote working arrangements, some employees may find the structure a bit like they are being micromanaged. But I think some metrics are necessary otherwise they won’t be given recognition for their efforts. That part we just have to roll with.

Cons

Location, location, location. I do not see a lot of scientists and developers clamoring to relocate to St Louis. That is sad. If you put the Partek headquarters in a biotech hub, such as Boston or the Bay area, scientists and developers would beg to work here. But since it is not the case, we do get short-staffed sometimes.

We can always use more PTO just like some parts of Europe.

Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Partek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expectations are low, so it's easy to cruise if you keep your head down. A good place to work if you want short work hours, reasonable pay, and mindless bay work.

Cons

Micro management is the norm - the fact that they've had success in the past leads to a know it all a strict adherence to the worst of 90s software engineering principles.

Keep hiring intelligent, skilled people - but give them the tools needed to do their job and let them do it.

Overall good place to work

I have been working at Partek full-time

Pros

A casual work environment, friendly and intelligent coworkers. It's a small company so there is not a lot of hierarchy or bureaucracy and your ideas can be heard all the way to top management and you can really make a difference. Pay is good, matching 401k, good health benefits, and work hours that allow us to have a life outside of work - this is not a sweatshop like some other software companies. This is also a place where you will learn a lot about science and technology. I'm happy here.

Cons

Some of the things about large companies such as very clear policies are missing here, but that's ok with me.

No complaints.

Work hours and benefits are good, the technology is intellectually challenging, co-workers are intelligent and friendly

I have been working at Partek

Pros

The technology is more interesting and challenging than most jobs in the midwest
    The health benefits and 401k are good
    People are friendly
    Casual work environment
    Global customer base and co-worker make work more interesting

Cons

I guess the normal cons of a small company do apply. Management could improve communication and have a more clear policies.

Management should continue taking steps to improve communication and make policies more clearly. Have more regular meetings that include everyone in the company.

An OK place to start but no place to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Partek

Pros

Coworkers are easily approachable and very willing to help.
    The company provides a casual working environment and good work-life balance.
    - Recommended for somebody with a very laid back personality who wants a 9-5 job for a mediocre pay.

Cons

Disrespectful higher management making people feel under appreciated, resulting in low office morale.
    No opportunities for professional growth or career advancement.
    Inefficient / nonexistent communication between the management and employees.
    - People looking for a career rather than a job, keep looking.

RESPECT your employees.
    Stop micromanaging. Set the goals and let people do their jobs.
    Give people positive feedback when they do a good job.

Working with great people doing interesting science

I have been working at Partek full-time

Pros

I get to travel to some of the best cities in the world and work with great people - both great coworkers and great customers who are doing research to benefit the health and well being of people.

Cons

Some months the travel can be a bit much, so if you don't like traveling, this job may not be for you. During conferences, the days can be a bit long.

Stay away from Partek

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Partek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Staff is great to work with and friendly

Cons

This is a very small company. Launched products that are not ready for the market. If you are a remote worker you seldom know what is happening in the company. Bad internal communications from senior management to the rest of the company. No clear sales or marketing stratergy. Senior management don't trust remote employees and they seldom give you a fair hearing and decisions are made with out consulting you for an opinion. Don't understand the full European market and no real clue on the sales potential for the European market. No SWOT analysis on competitors and don't really understand customer needs. There is loads of meetings scheduled that is just a waste of time.

The senior management team ( president and CFO) has great ideas but they are not people persons. They have no leadership or managment skills. Wished they employeed people to run the company and no what they doing. They never thank you if you do a great job.

Hard working but Under Valued

I have been working at Partek

Pros

Interesting work in an emerging field (sequencing technologies)
    Fair compensation
    Low stress environment
    Talented, helpful, friendly coworkers, including excellent support and sales staff
    small but established company

Cons

Unfortunately not a place where one can advance in his or her career. Fairly high turn-over rate because people get stuck in their initial roles. Initiative and differing ideas are seen as threats to the management and treated with resistance. No true human resource division makes it difficult to ensure fair treatment of employees.

A few key people are the backbone of the company. Make sure you truly listen to them and allow them to manage tasks assigned to them.

Partek Photos