Parthenon - EY Reviews

Parthenon - EY Founder and Senior Managing Director Bill Achtmeyer
Bill Achtmeyer

Incredible experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to develop strong consulting / analytical chops

Cons

Work long hours, but that's the tradeoff you make if you want to grow quickly / learn a ton

2. Not what it used to be before the merger

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience very quickly; strong set of colleagues in the Boston office

Cons

Often poor work/life balance (doing 2 PE diligences at a time simply does not allow for much of a life outside of work) you rarely know in advance if you will / will not have a late night; lots of bureaucracy now that Parthenon is part of EY; compensation growth has decreased notably at the post-MBA level under EY; senior management seems like it either doesn't care what's happening, or no longer has the power to impact it. At least when Parthenon was independent you could make the argument that all of this was to help build a boutique strategy firm.

Advice to Management

Don't be surprised when a bunch of people leave - the writing has been on the wall, and for a year your people gave you the benefit of the doubt that this merger would not be a net negative for us and that we would stay competitive with top-tier consulting firms. Be engaged with what's happening within Parthenon and not just trying to network within broader EY.

Office Services

Current Employee - Office Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, great location, great pay and great benefits

Cons

Not growth opportunities at all

Can't beat the culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After having spent almost 3 years at Parthenon, and leaving for a much more corporate organization, I realize I should have appreciated the collaborative and friendly culture that pervades through the entirety at Parthenon much more than I did. This is an A+ employer - great atmosphere, extremely smart people, and amazing career opportunities. The leadership is committed to providing the best opportunities that they can for their employees, even if that mean significantly tailoring the associate experience to each individual. Can't reinforce the Parthenon motto enough... the company is truly full of "smart, nice, and driven" people.

Cons

Definitely long hours at times, but the work is always appreciated

Advice to Management

The two case model can oftentimes get overwhelming in terms of hours and work load... considering shifting certain types of projects over to the one case model.

6. Smart, nice folks who work hard.

Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make TPG worth the time and effort.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge -- but it is anywhere, really.

7. Fun, fast-paced company with great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time

Pros

Friendliest people you'll meet in the business, light travel

Cons

Limited practice areas, two-case model, long work hours

Parthenon is a great firm with unparalleled culture

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Small firm with great opportunities - As a small firm (~250 people across 5 offices) you have opportunities that you wouldn't have at larger firms. I know the Chairman and founder on a casual, first name basis, I know the staffing managers well and they come to me with cases they know I would find interesting, and I know most of the case team leaders well even if I haven't worked with them. It's a family feel, and people do everything they can to help each other and to promote individual development. 2) Great exposure to different practice areas and industries - Parthenon sometimes gets the reputation as an education or private equity focused firm, but I've spent most of my time doing true strategy work with corporate clients. I've worked on corporate growth strategies, sales force design and alignment, entry into emerging markets, and pricing optimization in my last few years. I've also gotten a chance to rotate into our healthcare and industrial practices to get exposure there too. I've definitely done education (2 cases) and private equity (2 rotations in the practice group in the last 6 years), but that's only a subset of my experience at the firm. 3) Strategy work - My cases at Parthenon are great evidence that we do much more true strategy work than my friends at other firms. Only one of my cases in the past 4 years has been an "implementation" project, and that was a short, post-merger follow-on project to a growth/M&A strategy/due diligence case we did. Many of my friends at other strategy consulting firms joined expecting to use their experience and their MBA on strategy projects, and they found they have spent at least 50% of their time doing more implementation-focused projects. 4) Great people - Parthenon hires people who are "smart, nice, and driven", and everyone at the firm fits that description. From the moment I come into work in the morning to the time when I leave, I'm surrounded by people that I like personally, with whom I like to work, and that I really respect. 5) Reasonable travel - With the two case model, it would be nearly impossible for us to have a travel model that kept us at the client site from Monday-Thursday. Our clients know that we're not going to move into one of their conference rooms and they don't expect that. Instead, we travel when it is necessary and productive for our projects, and the rest of the time we work in our home offices. I have done two day trips and one overnight trip in the last 6 weeks, and at the most I have traveled 2 days a week for a particular project. It all varies based on the project, but I knew that when I moved to Boston and joined Parthenon that I wouldn't really be living in someplace like Harrisburg, PA or Biloxi, MS for more than 50% of my time!

Cons

1) Specialized practice areas - Parthenon doesn't have the same number of deep practice areas as other firms, so if you're interested in specializing in healthcare and then think you might want to reconsider and specialize in airlines, Parthenon isn't the place to be able to do that. 2) International cases - Parthenon has 5 offices (Boston, San Francisco, London, Mumbai, and Shanghai), but in our US offices we are less likely to handle all of the global strategy for our clients. Also, inter-office transfers are possible and encouraged, but we don't have the scale to have a lot of them happen all at the same time nor do we have as many offices from which you can choose. 3) Hours - It's true that you work a lot at Parthenon (I probably work perhaps 5-10% more than my peers and friends in the Boston offices of the Big 3 consulting firms), but I knew that coming into the firm and so I wasn't surprised. Even if I'm at the office for 1 hour longer per day, it's made better by the fact that I'm not always on the road and that time in the office is spent with people that I really like.

Parthenon values its employees and invests in their development.

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Choose Your Own Adventure: Ability to focus in a practice area of interest to you, or remain a generalist across sectors - Opportunity: Given tremendous opportunities at early stages in your career; Principals will manage Associates immediately following business school, and constantly being places in 'stretch roles' - People: I have yet to find a colleague who I don't enjoy working with from Associates to Partners; everyone is extremely smart, will push you, and is fun to be around - Access to Sr Mgmt: our case teams can be small and it is common to be in internal meetings brainstorming with Partners, and they care about your professional development and career trajectory

Cons

- 2 Case Model: this is great at times and difficult at times; you get exposure to more types of clients/sectors/workstreams than you would otherwise, but at times you have to juggle many things at one time and it is difficult to feel that you are giving 100% to both projects - Work/Life balance: evenings are definitely the norm as they will be at all consulting firms, but work is also often done on weekends at Parthenon

Parthenon's people and culture make it a fantastic place to start a career in strategy

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) The People--Top to bottom Parthenon cares more about attracting people who are not only smart, but also people who you want to spend a lot of time with in and out of the office. 2) Culture--There's definitely a "work hard, play hard" mentality with a strong emphasis on the latter. Firm-wide events are more fun than you could ever imagine and the investments the firm makes (both financial and time) to support the culture are very high. 3) Size -- The great thing about working for a smaller firm is that all the partners will know who you are within the first few weeks. Bill (our CEO) knows everyone by name in the firm. It's pretty impressive and shows that he cares about all of Parthenon's employees. 3) Exposure--The two-case model and more focus on strategy cases (and less implementation) cases translates to many more cases. In 2+ years as a Principal I've worked on 20-25 cases. As an Associate for 3 years pre-business school I worked on 30+ cases. If you are looking to go into consulting to learn as much as you can...why join a firm where you could be staffed on 1 case for 12 months? 4) Responsibility--By necessity smaller firms have less infrastructure for internal roles and responsibilities and therefore more opportunity to take charge of the firm's future. As a 3rd-year Associate I ran undergrad recruiting for one of our core campuses and now as a 3rd-year Principal I run recruiting for one of our core business schools. 5) Less Travel--On average Parthenon travels significantly less than other consulting firms. This is due to the type of work we do (more strategy, less implementation) and the 2-case method. With the exception of some of the non-profit education work we do, traveling 4-5 days/week is very rare. In addition to it being nice that you actually get to spend time in the city you live in...less travel also makes for a far more collegial office setting because you actually do spend time with one another (and don't just see each other 1 or 2 days per month).

Cons

1) Hours--Parthenon works you hard. 60 hours/wk on average but range can be 40-100 hours per week depending on case load and presentations. 2) Breadth of Practice Areas is Limited--The smaller nature of the firm means that Parthenon cannot be an expert in as many areas as large consulting firms. 3) Brand Name -- The Parthenon brand name (although well-respected) is not as well known as other larger firms.

Parthenon has helped me grow as leader and business strategist.

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for professional development. Intellectually stimulating. Outstanding coworkers - everyone is friendly, intelligent, and ambitious. Senior leaders are generous with their time.

Cons

Successfully navigating the two case model requires sound time management skills. Industry practice areas are still developing, so do not expect to be able to pick an industry and work only in that industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed