Parthenon - EY Reviews

Bill Achtmeyer

Incredible experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to develop strong consulting / analytical chops

Cons

Work long hours, but that's the tradeoff you make if you want to grow quickly / learn a ton

Microcosm of the 1% versus the rest of us

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks, meals, fun coworkers & events, good benefits, paid maternity leave.

Cons

Long hours, not CA employment law compliant (perhaps because HQ is in Boston) - this may have changed after my departure, as I heard they were acquired by/partnered with EY. The SF management team surprisingly takes business matters quite personally, and for a consulting company it's surprising how unwelcome suggestions and constructive criticism are. They expect high turnover, and thus have very little experience or expressed desire in maintaining employees. This leads to a strange dynamic - you bond closely and quickly with a group of colleagues, and then watch as they all drop away - often to very good companies (great place to form lasting connections & relationships), but for the support staff it's commonly just to anything else. The small nexus of individuals who have tenure proved to be extremely unkind, to the point of seeming snobbish even. Don't get me wrong, there were some great people there...they just don't tend to stay. I think it's a great place to work if you want to be in big business or consulting (and plan to leave within 2 years)...but, particularly if you are more interested in HR, legal, EA, OM/support type work...you can easily find a much better fit that offers more compensation, appreciation and opportunities.

Advice to Management

I think your model works for what you want - get the freshest crop of grads from the top schools, extract knowledge and energy from them, and then send them off to do great things from which Parthenon can also glean more future work...so I guess there really isn't much to change. It would just be great if the organizational team was more professional and less ostracizing. It would also be so refreshing if you could look at the talent pool outside of your traditional streams (top schools), and perhaps consider nontraditional paths with your support staff. It's heartbreaking how many talented people you have there who go completely unrecognized and underpaid.

Good job

I have been working at Parthenon - EY

Pros

Really amazing group of people

Cons

Going through a lot of challenges, awful work-life balance

Office Services

Current Employee - Office Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, great location, great pay and great benefits

Cons

Not growth opportunities at all

A former boutique education-practice driven firm

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good, deservedly reputed for education work, good pay & benefits

Cons

"Clique-y" homogenous environment where few will belong and most won't fit. Boutique claims and desires fell away in actual practice -- firm has been acquired by large behemoth to become an also ran.

Repetitive, bad expectations

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Firm culture is great in terms of social engagement, joking around in the office, company events are fun. Coworkers are very smart and for the most part managers are very good. Coursework can be extremely interesting and engaging, and you can get experience in a wide range of industries very quickly. Education work is great, if you're specifically looking for that

Cons

Expectations on work life balance are completely unreasonable, and nobody seems to have any incentive to change it. 140+hr work weeks are not unheard of, and people will go months in summer at 100+. As an associate (entry level) you basically have no control over your workload and when you have to do work--expect getting 4+ hour assignments at 11pm that your manager needs the next day at 9am. You basically never have more than a day or two for an assignment, and frequently much shorter. Get used to telling your friends "I won't know until 15 minutes before" if they ask you if you can come to something--weekends included.

Advice to Management

Either pay us more or set up actual controls on what managers can ask. There has been a slow slide on expectations to where people think it's OK to do pretty absurd things to the people below them, and that is only going to get fixed if the top leadership changes how they do things. We get a lot of documents talking about how important work life balance is, and then things to the effect of 'please don't work all night on this. But I'm giving it to you at 8PM and need it by tomorrow morning'-

Can't beat the culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After having spent almost 3 years at Parthenon, and leaving for a much more corporate organization, I realize I should have appreciated the collaborative and friendly culture that pervades through the entirety at Parthenon much more than I did. This is an A+ employer - great atmosphere, extremely smart people, and amazing career opportunities. The leadership is committed to providing the best opportunities that they can for their employees, even if that mean significantly tailoring the associate experience to each individual. Can't reinforce the Parthenon motto enough... the company is truly full of "smart, nice, and driven" people.

Cons

Definitely long hours at times, but the work is always appreciated

Advice to Management

The two case model can oftentimes get overwhelming in terms of hours and work load... considering shifting certain types of projects over to the one case model.

9. Smart, nice folks who work hard.

Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make TPG worth the time and effort.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge -- but it is anywhere, really.

10. Great career launch pad

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time

Pros

Great mentorship, amazing company culture, lots of responsibility and opportunities for growth, less travel than other consulting firms. Parthenon really cares about its people and wants them to succeed. Casework is truly strategy focused. Other employees are very intelligent but enjoyable to spend time with, which is key during the late nights.

Cons

Long hours, two-case model can be challenging, can be hard to predict busy periods.

11. Excellent first job

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Parthenon - EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, good level of responsibility

Cons

Learning curve flatten after 1.5 to 2 years

RSS Feed </> Embed