Parthenon Group

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Can't beat the culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After having spent almost 3 years at Parthenon, and leaving for a much more corporate organization, I realize I should have appreciated the collaborative and friendly culture that pervades through the entirety at Parthenon much more than I did. This is an A+ employer - great atmosphere, extremely smart people, and amazing career opportunities. The leadership is committed to providing the best opportunities that they can for their employees, even if that mean significantly tailoring the associate experience to each individual. Can't reinforce the Parthenon motto enough... the company is truly full of "smart, nice, and driven" people.

Cons

Definitely long hours at times, but the work is always appreciated

The two case model can oftentimes get overwhelming in terms of hours and work load... considering shifting certain types of projects over to the one case model.

Smart, nice folks who work hard.

Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make TPG worth the time and effort.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge -- but it is anywhere, really.

Fun, fast-paced company with great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time

Pros

Friendliest people you'll meet in the business, light travel

Cons

Limited practice areas, two-case model, long work hours

Parthenon is a great firm with unparalleled culture

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Small firm with great opportunities - As a small firm (~250 people across 5 offices) you have opportunities that you wouldn't have at larger firms. I know the Chairman and founder on a casual, first name basis, I know the staffing managers well and they come to me with cases they know I would find interesting, and I know most of the case team leaders well even if I haven't worked with them. It's a family feel, and people do everything they can to help each other and to promote individual development.

2) Great exposure to different practice areas and industries - Parthenon sometimes gets the reputation as an education or private equity focused firm, but I've spent most of my time doing true strategy work with corporate clients. I've worked on corporate growth strategies, sales force design and alignment, entry into emerging markets, and pricing optimization in my last few years. I've also gotten a chance to rotate into our healthcare and industrial practices to get exposure there too. I've definitely done education (2 cases) and private equity (2 rotations in the practice group in the last 6 years), but that's only a subset of my experience at the firm.

3) Strategy work - My cases at Parthenon are great evidence that we do much more true strategy work than my friends at other firms. Only one of my cases in the past 4 years has been an "implementation" project, and that was a short, post-merger follow-on project to a growth/M&A strategy/due diligence case we did. Many of my friends at other strategy consulting firms joined expecting to use their experience and their MBA on strategy projects, and they found they have spent at least 50% of their time doing more implementation-focused projects.

4) Great people - Parthenon hires people who are "smart, nice, and driven", and everyone at the firm fits that description. From the moment I come into work in the morning to the time when I leave, I'm surrounded by people that I like personally, with whom I like to work, and that I really respect.

5) Reasonable travel - With the two case model, it would be nearly impossible for us to have a travel model that kept us at the client site from Monday-Thursday. Our clients know that we're not going to move into one of their conference rooms and they don't expect that. Instead, we travel when it is necessary and productive for our projects, and the rest of the time we work in our home offices. I have done two day trips and one overnight trip in the last 6 weeks, and at the most I have traveled 2 days a week for a particular project. It all varies based on the project, but I knew that when I moved to Boston and joined Parthenon that I wouldn't really be living in someplace like Harrisburg, PA or Biloxi, MS for more than 50% of my time!

Cons

1) Specialized practice areas - Parthenon doesn't have the same number of deep practice areas as other firms, so if you're interested in specializing in healthcare and then think you might want to reconsider and specialize in airlines, Parthenon isn't the place to be able to do that.

2) International cases - Parthenon has 5 offices (Boston, San Francisco, London, Mumbai, and Shanghai), but in our US offices we are less likely to handle all of the global strategy for our clients. Also, inter-office transfers are possible and encouraged, but we don't have the scale to have a lot of them happen all at the same time nor do we have as many offices from which you can choose.

3) Hours - It's true that you work a lot at Parthenon (I probably work perhaps 5-10% more than my peers and friends in the Boston offices of the Big 3 consulting firms), but I knew that coming into the firm and so I wasn't surprised. Even if I'm at the office for 1 hour longer per day, it's made better by the fact that I'm not always on the road and that time in the office is spent with people that I really like.

Parthenon values its employees and invests in their development.

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Choose Your Own Adventure: Ability to focus in a practice area of interest to you, or remain a generalist across sectors
    - Opportunity: Given tremendous opportunities at early stages in your career; Principals will manage Associates immediately following business school, and constantly being places in 'stretch roles'
    - People: I have yet to find a colleague who I don't enjoy working with from Associates to Partners; everyone is extremely smart, will push you, and is fun to be around
    - Access to Sr Mgmt: our case teams can be small and it is common to be in internal meetings brainstorming with Partners, and they care about your professional development and career trajectory

Cons

- 2 Case Model: this is great at times and difficult at times; you get exposure to more types of clients/sectors/workstreams than you would otherwise, but at times you have to juggle many things at one time and it is difficult to feel that you are giving 100% to both projects
    - Work/Life balance: evenings are definitely the norm as they will be at all consulting firms, but work is also often done on weekends at Parthenon

Parthenon's people and culture make it a fantastic place to start a career in strategy

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) The People--Top to bottom Parthenon cares more about attracting people who are not only smart, but also people who you want to spend a lot of time with in and out of the office.

2) Culture--There's definitely a "work hard, play hard" mentality with a strong emphasis on the latter. Firm-wide events are more fun than you could ever imagine and the investments the firm makes (both financial and time) to support the culture are very high.

3) Size -- The great thing about working for a smaller firm is that all the partners will know who you are within the first few weeks. Bill (our CEO) knows everyone by name in the firm. It's pretty impressive and shows that he cares about all of Parthenon's employees.

3) Exposure--The two-case model and more focus on strategy cases (and less implementation) cases translates to many more cases. In 2+ years as a Principal I've worked on 20-25 cases. As an Associate for 3 years pre-business school I worked on 30+ cases. If you are looking to go into consulting to learn as much as you can...why join a firm where you could be staffed on 1 case for 12 months?

4) Responsibility--By necessity smaller firms have less infrastructure for internal roles and responsibilities and therefore more opportunity to take charge of the firm's future. As a 3rd-year Associate I ran undergrad recruiting for one of our core campuses and now as a 3rd-year Principal I run recruiting for one of our core business schools.

5) Less Travel--On average Parthenon travels significantly less than other consulting firms. This is due to the type of work we do (more strategy, less implementation) and the 2-case method. With the exception of some of the non-profit education work we do, traveling 4-5 days/week is very rare. In addition to it being nice that you actually get to spend time in the city you live in...less travel also makes for a far more collegial office setting because you actually do spend time with one another (and don't just see each other 1 or 2 days per month).

Cons

1) Hours--Parthenon works you hard. 60 hours/wk on average but range can be 40-100 hours per week depending on case load and presentations.

2) Breadth of Practice Areas is Limited--The smaller nature of the firm means that Parthenon cannot be an expert in as many areas as large consulting firms.

3) Brand Name -- The Parthenon brand name (although well-respected) is not as well known as other larger firms.

Parthenon has helped me grow as leader and business strategist.

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for professional development. Intellectually stimulating. Outstanding coworkers - everyone is friendly, intelligent, and ambitious. Senior leaders are generous with their time.

Cons

Successfully navigating the two case model requires sound time management skills. Industry practice areas are still developing, so do not expect to be able to pick an industry and work only in that industry.

Keep up the good work!

Perfect firm to build a post-MBA consulting career

Current Employee - Senior Principal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am in my fourth year at the firm and have loved the work, experience, and people. Here are a few of the highlights of what I think makes Parthenon great:

Work: focus on strategy projects, more quantitative approach, diverse set of clients and industry exposure, customized projects for each client (not "off the shelf"), two-case model.

Responsibility: manage associates and work directly with senior clients on day one, constantly learning and getting more responsibility, run internal initiatives (e.g., recruiting, training, mentor programs).

Culture: people have lots of energy and work very hard, high value placed on having FUN, collaborative, entrepreneurial, ability to rise quickly through the ranks, top-notch perks. Strongly believe that you will have more fun working here than at other firms.

You have to be prepared to work hard, and we do travel, but ~1-2 days per week feels a lot different than 4. I have been able to create a manageable work/life balance at Parthenon while balancing a family and other priorities, and recognize that this is rare in consulting.

I have also seen colleagues go on to awesome opportunities after working here for 2-5 years (think Google, major CPGs, private equity, even start ups). I believe the experience you get at Parthenon (# of cases, exposure to senior partners and clients, management responsibility) looks better on your resume than what you get at other firms.

Cons

Limited industry work beyond 6 practice areas. Consumer, Healthcare, Industrial, Information & Media, Private Equity, and Education covers a lot, and Parthenon also does some technology and financial services work; but if you're looking to work in telecom in South America, you're probably not going to get that opportunity handed to you.

Structure and process. Training programs are top-notch, but outside of that, there is not a lot of formal structure at Parthenon. If you work better in large, process-oriented companies, Parthenon is probably not the right fit. Culture is much more entrepreneurial and opportunities are given to those that are self-motivated and driven to take advantage of them.

Parthenon's unique culture comes both from above (Senior Management) and below (Associates). Management should do everything to invest in maintaining this part of the firm, and they have to date. The FUN aspect is very difficult to replicate and one of the best things about Parthenon.

A great place to learn and grow, while having fun

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and culture, a focus on true strategy projects, and (typically) less onerous travel requirements than at competing firms. Parthenon has a true focus on its people and exhibits genuine generosity.

Cons

Expectations are high -- the "work hard" component of "work hard, play hard" isn't under-emphasized at Parthenon. But this leads to many opportunities for learning and earlier client exposure than you'd experience elsewhere.

Perfect size with exceptional culture to boot"

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time

Pros

-Compensation and perks are absolute tops
    -Two case model provides exposure to multiple client types at once
    -I have worked at other organizations that consistently rank in the top 20 of "Best places to work" and Parthenon's culture far and away exceeds these great prior experiences. The medium size of the firm allows employees from various levels to work closely and get to know one another well. At times, the culture can be a bit "fratty", but their "Smart.Nice.Driven" focus in recruitment screens out the jerks.
    -Regarding the post below about limited industry experience, I could not disagree more. While the education practice is a strong revenue generator, so is the Private Equity practice and the types of cases that come through the general strategy practice vary greatly. From my experience, it is a very balanced exposure.
    -Travel is less frequent than other large firms
    -Again, in disagreement with a post on this page, "Entrepreneurial spirit" is actually very high. Many of the current practice areas arose from Principals taking their ideas to senior management who in turn gave them the green light.

Cons

-Two case model means that there will be times when one case may be wrapping up (you are busy) while another is kicking off (you are even more busy) and this makes for a very long/stressful couple of days.
    -A medium size firm means that although you will see a variety of clients and industry types, it can be a while before you see the same type of industry again (problematic if you fall in love with an industry that does not have a repeat client).