Parthenon Group

Bill Achtmeyer

Can't beat the culture

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After having spent almost 3 years at Parthenon, and leaving for a much more corporate organization, I realize I should have appreciated the collaborative and friendly culture that pervades through the entirety at Parthenon much more than I did. This is an A+ employer - great atmosphere, extremely smart people, and amazing career opportunities. The leadership is committed to providing the best opportunities that they can for their employees, even if that mean significantly tailoring the associate experience to each individual. Can't reinforce the Parthenon motto enough... the company is truly full of "smart, nice, and driven" people.

Cons

Definitely long hours at times, but the work is always appreciated

The two case model can oftentimes get overwhelming in terms of hours and work load... considering shifting certain types of projects over to the one case model.

Repetitive, bad expectations

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Firm culture is great in terms of social engagement, joking around in the office, company events are fun. Coworkers are very smart and for the most part managers are very good. Coursework can be extremely interesting and engaging, and you can get experience in a wide range of industries very quickly. Education work is great, if you're specifically looking for that

Cons

Expectations on work life balance are completely unreasonable, and nobody seems to have any incentive to change it. 140+hr work weeks are not unheard of, and people will go months in summer at 100+. As an associate (entry level) you basically have no control over your workload and when you have to do work--expect getting 4+ hour assignments at 11pm that your manager needs the next day at 9am. You basically never have more than a day or two for an assignment, and frequently much shorter. Get used to telling your friends "I won't know until 15 minutes before" if they ask you if you can come to something--weekends included.

Either pay us more or set up actual controls on what managers can ask. There has been a slow slide on expectations to where people think it's OK to do pretty absurd things to the people below them, and that is only going to get fixed if the top leadership changes how they do things.

We get a lot of documents talking about how important work life balance is, and then things to the effect of 'please don't work all night on this. But I'm giving it to you at 8PM and need it by tomorrow morning'-

Smart, nice folks who work hard.

Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make TPG worth the time and effort.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge -- but it is anywhere, really.

Great career launch pad

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time

Pros

Great mentorship, amazing company culture, lots of responsibility and opportunities for growth, less travel than other consulting firms. Parthenon really cares about its people and wants them to succeed. Casework is truly strategy focused. Other employees are very intelligent but enjoyable to spend time with, which is key during the late nights.

Cons

Long hours, two-case model can be challenging, can be hard to predict busy periods.

Excellent first job

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, good level of responsibility

Cons

Learning curve flatten after 1.5 to 2 years

Quick experience on high impact strategy cases

I have been working at Parthenon Group

Pros

Great culture, great people to work with, and meaningful results for clients

Cons

Tough hours, work life balance

I have been working at Parthenon Group full-time

Pros

The culture stems from the associates, but is true for each and every employee. Can't imagine a better work environment.

Cons

Not many. Work hard due to two-case system

Great atmosphere to work in.

I worked at Parthenon Group

Pros

It is a collegial environment with some bright thinkers. Fun to work with and be around. CEO has a great vision.

Cons

Not a lot of direction for administrative staff. They hire the best but don't necessarily hold onto them.

Administrative staff could use some mentoring and better use of performance reviews.

Parthenon is a lot of fun, both in terms of the work and the culture, but expect to work a lot.

I have been working at Parthenon Group

Pros

The people you work with are incredibly smart and fun to be around which is a rare and undervalued combination in my experience. Working on two cases at a time gives a great opportunity to develop experience expertise very quickly, and Parthenon is very well respected with other employers and business schools.

Cons

Because you have obligations to two case teams with the two-case model, hours can get pretty long(especially during busy periods).

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Parthenon Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, nurturing culture, very strong education and private equity practices

Cons

Long hours, two-case model can make for uncomfortable situations