Parthenon Group

Parthenon Group Chairman and Managing Partner Bill Achtmeyer

Bill Achtmeyer

Great career launch pad

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mentorship, amazing company culture, lots of responsibility and opportunities for growth, less travel than other consulting firms. Parthenon really cares about its people and wants them to succeed. Casework is truly strategy focused. Other employees are very intelligent but enjoyable to spend time with, which is key during the late nights.

ConsLong hours, two-case model can be challenging, can be hard to predict busy periods.

Excellent first job

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, good level of responsibility

ConsLearning curve flatten after 1.5 to 2 years

Quick experience on high impact strategy cases

ProsGreat culture, great people to work with, and meaningful results for clients

ConsTough hours, work life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding to work with people who are very smart, yet down to Earth and friendly! Can feel comfortable to talk

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture stems from the associates, but is true for each and every employee. Can't imagine a better work environment.

ConsNot many. Work hard due to two-case system

Great atmosphere to work in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a collegial environment with some bright thinkers. Fun to work with and be around. CEO has a great vision.

ConsNot a lot of direction for administrative staff. They hire the best but don't necessarily hold onto them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrative staff could use some mentoring and better use of performance reviews.

Parthenon is a lot of fun, both in terms of the work and the culture, but expect to work a lot.

ProsThe people you work with are incredibly smart and fun to be around which is a rare and undervalued combination in my experience. Working on two cases at a time gives a great opportunity to develop experience expertise very quickly, and Parthenon is very well respected with other employers and business schools.

ConsBecause you have obligations to two case teams with the two-case model, hours can get pretty long(especially during busy periods).

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, nurturing culture, very strong education and private equity practices

ConsLong hours, two-case model can make for uncomfortable situations

Fun, fast-paced company with great culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFriendliest people you'll meet in the business, light travel

ConsLimited practice areas, two-case model, long work hours

Parthenon is a great firm with unparalleled culture

Principal (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros1) Small firm with great opportunities - As a small firm (~250 people across 5 offices) you have opportunities that you wouldn't have at larger firms. I know the Chairman and founder on a casual, first name basis, I know the staffing managers well and they come to me with cases they know I would find interesting, and I know most of the case team leaders well even if I haven't worked with them. It's a family feel, and people do everything they can to help each other and to promote individual development.

2) Great exposure to different practice areas and industries - Parthenon sometimes gets the reputation as an education or private equity focused firm, but I've spent most of my time doing true strategy work with corporate clients. I've worked on corporate growth strategies, sales force design and alignment, entry into emerging markets, and pricing optimization in my last few years. I've also gotten a chance to rotate into our healthcare and industrial practices to get exposure there too. I've definitely done education (2 cases) and private equity (2 rotations in the practice group in the last 6 years), but that's only a subset of my experience at the firm.

3) Strategy work - My cases at Parthenon are great evidence that we do much more true strategy work than my friends at other firms. Only one of my cases in the past 4 years has been an "implementation" project, and that was a short, post-merger follow-on project to a growth/M&A strategy/due diligence case we did. Many of my friends at other strategy consulting firms joined expecting to use their experience and their MBA on strategy projects, and they found they have spent at least 50% of their time doing more implementation-focused projects.

4) Great people - Parthenon hires people who are "smart, nice, and driven", and everyone at the firm fits that description. From the moment I come into work in the morning to the time when I leave, I'm surrounded by people that I like personally, with whom I like to work, and that I really respect.

5) Reasonable travel - With the two case model, it would be nearly impossible for us to have a travel model that kept us at the client site from Monday-Thursday. Our clients know that we're not going to move into one of their conference rooms and they don't expect that. Instead, we travel when it is necessary and productive for our projects, and the rest of the time we work in our home offices. I have done two day trips and one overnight trip in the last 6 weeks, and at the most I have traveled 2 days a week for a particular project. It all varies based on the project, but I knew that when I moved to Boston and joined Parthenon that I wouldn't really be living in someplace like Harrisburg, PA or Biloxi, MS for more than 50% of my time!

Cons1) Specialized practice areas - Parthenon doesn't have the same number of deep practice areas as other firms, so if you're interested in specializing in healthcare and then think you might want to reconsider and specialize in airlines, Parthenon isn't the place to be able to do that.

2) International cases - Parthenon has 5 offices (Boston, San Francisco, London, Mumbai, and Shanghai), but in our US offices we are less likely to handle all of the global strategy for our clients. Also, inter-office transfers are possible and encouraged, but we don't have the scale to have a lot of them happen all at the same time nor do we have as many offices from which you can choose.

3) Hours - It's true that you work a lot at Parthenon (I probably work perhaps 5-10% more than my peers and friends in the Boston offices of the Big 3 consulting firms), but I knew that coming into the firm and so I wasn't surprised. Even if I'm at the office for 1 hour longer per day, it's made better by the fact that I'm not always on the road and that time in the office is spent with people that I really like.

Parthenon values its employees and invests in their development.

Principal (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Choose Your Own Adventure: Ability to focus in a practice area of interest to you, or remain a generalist across sectors
    - Opportunity: Given tremendous opportunities at early stages in your career; Principals will manage Associates immediately following business school, and constantly being places in 'stretch roles'
    - People: I have yet to find a colleague who I don't enjoy working with from Associates to Partners; everyone is extremely smart, will push you, and is fun to be around
    - Access to Sr Mgmt: our case teams can be small and it is common to be in internal meetings brainstorming with Partners, and they care about your professional development and career trajectory

Cons- 2 Case Model: this is great at times and difficult at times; you get exposure to more types of clients/sectors/workstreams than you would otherwise, but at times you have to juggle many things at one time and it is difficult to feel that you are giving 100% to both projects
    - Work/Life balance: evenings are definitely the norm as they will be at all consulting firms, but work is also often done on weekends at Parthenon

Worked for Parthenon Group? Contribute to the Community!