Participant Media Reviews

Jim Berk

1. Loved my department, not crazy about the company

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Participant Media (More than a year)

Pros

My department was great... great people, great management. I learned a lot during my time there and I sincerely miss my co-workers. I also enjoyed being able to own my own work process. My direct boss wasn't a micromanager. He was very much helpful but hands off for the most part... which made it easy to feel like I had some freedom but was never too far away from someone to turn to for help. Then, there's the director of engineering who was a fantastic hire. Before he started, there were many issues that needed to be resolved; although there are kinks to be worked out still (just as in any place), he's done such an amazing job of getting things on the right track... and to top it off, he has a good sense of humor and it's easy to bring things up to him. I have had good experiences with managers in the past too, but he is by far the best person I've worked for in a managerial capacity. I sincerely hope he stays because it would be sad for the company to lose him. To continue on, the developers are AWESOME. It's such a small team but they get so much done. The whole team does, really, because they all work well together (very important in my opinion). When I first started, it took some time for me to feel comfortable because I came from a much noisier, younger, rowdier company, but once I did feel comfortable, I fell in love with the people there.

Cons

Very top heavy place, way too many VPs and SVPs and EVPs. I really think the company could benefit from more lower level positions (and a pay bump in those positions as well). Also, my department, like I said, was amazing. However, it did seem like there were some issues with other departments... I can't really say much more about that, but hey, every company has its problems.

Advice to Management

Hire more lower level positions and pay them better. Give departments more room to grow rather than hiring more execs.

2. Good experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Participant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong values, good employee environment & benefits

Cons

Top heavy & political, should emphasize hiring more people who get things done

3. Worst place to work in the world!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Participant Media

Pros

Free protein bars, free coffee, free yogurt, free pens, free notepads, free salad on Wednesdays, free food whenever a movie or show comes out. Free old stuff from employees. Oh! Free pressure, lots of it! And the compensation for this FREE pressure not enough.

Cons

Horrible bosses, self-centered bosses! Useless and irrelevant communications team, rude and literally arrogant on the phone and in person. Don't quit this job, your life, etc for this place.. Letting go the former CEO did not help.. what they need to let go off is the horrible management, nasty HR.

Advice to Management

Hear out employees, use their skills, and just don't hire blondies, there's culturally talented and smart people in this world really! Communications team needs a huge overhaul, they don't know how to communicate at all!

5. Could be better

I worked at Participant Media

Pros

Passionate workers, good cause, great benefits

Cons

Upper management out of touch with lower-level employees, company doesn't do as much "social good" as they say they do

6. Altruism cannot compete with nasty company culture

I have been working at Participant Media full-time

Pros

Good work for cause-related campaigns and innovative use of digital media.

Cons

Upper management crushes all the light out the this well-meaning organization. A pervasive atmosphere of fear permeates the cubicles. A great place to hang out and get your spirit crushed for a few years. The film side of the business is better, as it tied to real economic ROI on many projects. DIgitial and Social Action, however, seem to be a tax write off for the majority investor in Takepart, LLC so no one knows what they are really worth since any efforts for original work or ingenuity will likely be quashed by the management, terrified lest their access to the deep pockets might by cut off. Don't bother to apply if you are over 35.

Advice to Management

Get into a real company where you can create some real bottom-line. Your fears make this place unbearable.

Practice what you preach

I have been working at Participant Media

Pros

There are some smart, driven people who work there. But the majority end up leaving after a year because they are so frustrated with the work environment.

Cons

So political, complete lack of innovation for a media company. Extremely top heavy, ego driven CEO, horrible culture. HR protects leadership.

8. Disaster

Current Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Participant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice lower level people. Work isn't hard. What they stand for is great. And what day think they are the company also is great but it isn't realized. There's a two-week winter break which is only good if your full-time.

Cons

Mid ti upper management don't seem to know what they're doing and is highly political. Never go to HR about anything or you'll be pushed out. Salaries are lower then competitors. No one ever takes responsibility, but are quick to assign blame and pretend they don't know what's going on. The only groups that are bearable to work for are original programming and marketing. As a result the turnover rate is really high.

Advice to Management

Pay attention when people have problems.

9. Smart people, good values, some questionable leadership

I have been working at Participant Media part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Beautiful Beverly Hills office. Passionate people who truly care about the world we live in. Commitment to ethics and values.

Cons

Very senior management seems out of touch and overly focused on trivial details. Over-reliance on underpaid interns, who are happy to take advantage of the system by working hard when they need to appear to be working hard, but otherwise come in late, leave early and take long lunches. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Don't pay lip service to the mid-level workers or they will leave.

Project Coordinator

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Participant Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The daily free food somewhat makes employee feel a bit happy.

Cons

A place where managers and below don't have a voice, and can't even go to HR to express the injustices happening in their departments because they'll be fired the next minute. Zero diversity. The company has a record for hiring and firing people within months.. SA especially! Rude, narcissists and arrogant VPs. Lots of privileges and weird attitudes again from VPs. And oh by the way this the company that's supposed to promote social change! No training whatsoever when getting hired, you basically have to figure things on your own, otherwise you'll get a horrible review, and you'll probably be out of the door within months. Coordinators can be coordinators for years and keep accumulating tons of new job descriptions, and no increase whatsoever in salary. Coordinators and managers basically get paid nothing for doing their work and the work of narcissists, and cruel directors and VPs. Working in this company is beyond stressful! And oh did I mention that almost all positions are EXEMPT??? It's done on purpose so that no matter how many hours they want you to work, you won't get a dime for it!

Advice to Management

If you want to be the company promoting social change in the world, then start it in your own place.

Collaborative, encouraging place to work

I have been working at Participant Media full-time

Pros

Relaxed, encouraging company culture. Most execs are approachable and engaged with their departments. Progressive campaigns to work on.

Cons

Very hard to move up the ranks internally - they seem to prefer to hire externally rather than promote from within.

RSS Feed </> Embed