Partner Engineering & Science

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

3.9

Joseph Derhake, PE

Good place to grow your carreer

Current Employee - Staff Professional II
    Current Employee - Staff Professional II

I have been working at Partner Engineering & Science full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, fun coworkers, no lack of having enough work, never bored, lots of opportunity to travel.

Cons

Very heavy workload, hard to balance both work and personal life, lower salaries

The best company to work for in my experience

I have been working at Partner Engineering & Science full-time

Pros

After working at both a large environmental engineering firm where I got lost in the shuffle at the bottom with no opportunity for advancement, and at a small environmental firm where opportunities presented themselves but I was overworked and under-appreciated, Partner strikes a wonderful balance of small-company feel with tremendous opportunity for growth and advancement, all while valuing their employees, which could be difficult to achieve if it weren't coming straight from the top from inception. In this aspect, Partner is a unique company built with the idea that giving talented professionals a chance to excel tends to produce just that...excellence. We work hard at times, but it's with the satisfaction of accomplishment and not because there's a whip cracking over our heads. Partner values high quality foremost, and is not just an 'ESA factory'. As with any career, in my experience, you get out of it what you put in. I started almost five years ago as an entry level project staff, and am now a project manager. Despite what other reviewers may have stated, management does recognize hard work and dedication, and rewards it appropriately, in my personal experience, with salary increases and/or advancement. There's no divisiveness between the different services Partner provides, so if you want to learn to do something else within the company, you are encouraged to do so. Partner also encourages (and rewards, in some cases) ongoing education and certifications. Problems or issues with workload or supervisors are encouraged to be brought to your manager, and I've not ever felt that there was a 'closed door' to the staff. Working above and beyond is absolutely called out and applauded, and staff is greatly appreciated for all they do. Most importantly, my co-workers are fantastic, and we treat each other like family.

Cons

In the busy season, you can become overloaded with work. Naturally, each individual has to find a balance of what he or she can handle.

Do your research carefully before taking a job here

Current Employee - Staff  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Partner Engineering & Science full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will never have to worry about running out of work, partner gets lots of work because their prices are so cheap and the reports can be thrown together quickly by using fill in templates, so there is job security if you keep your head down and slave away

Cons

They work you like slave and every project you work on is a rush. There is never a break. There is no focus on quality but rather it is all about quantity of work pushed out the door. I came here over another company because they offered me an extra $1500 a year, but if I had known how hard they would work me, I would have taken the other job offer instead. The staff do all the work but the project managers and principals get all the praise, credit and bonuses. But then if anything goes wrong the first person to get blamed is the staff, never the project managers or principals. If you are one of the many principals in this firm you are treated like royality while the staff are treated like 2nd class citizens. The principals even get their own private parties and every year they take a big vacation together which none of the staff are invited to. The worst part is you don't learn anything new at this job, you just learn how to write what is needed to make the client happy no matter how wrong or illegal it is. Partner is who clients go to when they want to make a problem go away. It could be a leaking nuclear plant and partner will find a way to "write it off" or else the principals get chewed out by the clients and lose their big commissions. Then they chew out their project managers, and the project managers chew out the staff. Basically all the money goes to the principals who are all owners run the company and the leftover scraps go to the project managers. The staff get nothing, not even the scraps, just little to no raises, no training, no praise, not even a thank you for working so hard. I have heard several people say the same things in private, but most people kiss butt and pretend to be happy so they can keep their jobs. Bottom line, do your homework and be careful, if you have other job options take them, even if they pay less. Trust me you will regret it otherwise.

lol what management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place for talented professionals.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Pros

Lots of opportunity for fast career growth, casual and friendly atmosphere, and management seems to really care about the professional development of the employees.

Cons

There is so much opportunity to be involved in so many different things, that it can sometimes be overwhelming. However, for a focused and hardworking professional will find this to be more of a pro.

if you have a professional license and value it, stay away

Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Torrance, CA

Pros

the people are nice. the hours are flexible. the pay is alright. the work is easy as long as you aren't stuck working with the annoying folks who think they're the most important people on the planet.

Cons

where should i begin? the core value of partner is to churn and burn. not only in the amount of work they give their employees, but also in the energy of their employees. that is to say that though you may enjoy what you do when you first arrive, management will find ways to break down your pride in your work, your motivation to come in, and thus, churn and burn you out within a year or less. in addition to the churn and burn method of hiring and high turnaround rate of employees (they never tell you who leaves, only that people are always coming in), they also only value the people they can mold into what they perceive to be the ideal employee, that is, someone who will do whatever you ask them to, write whatever you tell them to, and basically, you are no longer a consultant, you are just a secretary taking dictation to fill out the paperwork that someone needs.

leave.

Partner as a career, as a brand, as a symbol of pride

I have been working at Partner Engineering & Science full-time

Pros

Perhaps one of the greatest impressions I got when I joined Partner four years ago was the high caliber of upper management’s skills and values. I appreciated that even at the top, there was a clear ability and interest to tune into the concerns of all levels of employees, and that there was a conscious push for an employee’s well being in and out of work. Partner cares that I’m happy, that I’m happy to be at work, and that I’m happy about my work. This has been what has kept me here and continues to drive my passion to do great things at Partner.

Partner was built from just a handful of founding Principals, all of whom are extremely hardworking, passionate, and dedicated to their craft. They started the company from scratch, with the odds stacked against them, and fought, navigated, and developed the business through an economic recession and continue to do so with the pursuit to grow bigger and to be better. At Partner, the yearning to improve is compassionate, grounded, and honest. Because of these roots, I know that solution-building, accountability, and conscious endeavor resonate strongly among the founders. Those who can echo these values seem to do well here.

Partner’s productivity expectations mirror what is required to keep the company a successful one and to properly reward its employees for the work. Therefore, people are expected to be hardworking and deserving of their compensation and bonuses. I believe Partner offers a very generous employee review system and provides employees with more than enough tools, opportunities, and options for success including lateral training and upward movement. Partner holds strong reverence to employees with significant industry experience, years of service to the company, and/or valuable certifications. However, Partner also values and brings distinction to hardworking junior employees as well as to employees with extraordinary achievements. Partner provides a fair shot for everyone to succeed and make their mark, and this is something I truly admire. I have seen how this resolve has helped shaped an incredibly motivated workforce.

On a more personal level, I treasure how Partner embraces diversity and also maintains a positive, fun, and comfortable office environment. Partner is a woman-owned company. There is no small mindedness or traditional hang-ups that you might find elsewhere. I am proud to say that I am a LGBT Partner employee, and I know Partner is proud to have me. I love that even in the large corporate office, we consider each other as part of a big family. We maintain a please and thank you exchange. And most importantly, these ideals aren’t lost as we get bigger. I do consider myself very ambitious and hard working and during my time at Partner, I have worked and earned my way up to a position that really allows me to maximize my greatest strengths. I’ve always felt empowered to elevate myself and the company, and the appreciation here for my hard work has been nothing short of wonderful. Partner is a great place for talented professionals who are not just open to their role in moving the company forward, but also open to their own development and the advancement of their long term careers. Partner nurtures that talent and allows it to flourish. It’s a very exciting place to work, to see, to be.

Cons

I think it's something that puts the company between a rock and a hard place, but as the business grows and the needs of the company expand, sometimes people don't grow alongside it. People who easily fall into routine may struggle with staying relevant and have a hard time adapting to the changes. I think as a company we just have to do our best to be consciously aware, to be actively supportive of helping all employees understand and adjust to any necessary changes, and to provide ample opportunities suited to each employee's strengths.

With any fast growing company, there are things that may take longer to implement but nevertheless are important. I believe one of these things is an employee Roth 401k option. I think it would be a great benefit for employees (in particular younger employees) to be able to have the option of investing in their retirement with post-tax dollars, which would eliminate a level of uncertainty and presumably higher-bracket taxes in the future.

I feel very lucky to be a part of such a great team!

Pros

A CEO who truly cares, great foundations/principles, good leaders/directors, reliable corporate staff, relaxed work environment, compensation & benefits, steady work flow, ability to work independently & as a team... all around good company.

Cons

Low personal mileage reimbursement rate.

Good management and fast-paced

Pros

Partner has a great small company feel with the added benefits of being part of a nationwide company. Everyone in a management position, including the CEO, cares about each individual Partner employee and will help you advance your career by encouraging you to grow and improve. There are also many opportunities from within because Partner is constantly growing.

Cons

They expect you to work hard, and with so many hard-working employees, it can be hard to stand out.

Try to keep the small company feel, and encourage a good work-life balance for the employees

The perfect place to build your career

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have seen Partner grow from a smaller Due Diligence-focused company to the multi-tiered national competitor that it is today. And all the while, they continue to maintain a fun, family-like work environment. As they continue to expand their capabilities, each employee has the opportunity to pave their own unique path. Management is always open to suggestions, and criticism is encouraged. I am proud to part of the Partner family and am looking forward to taking things to the next level.

Cons

The IT department and network speeds could use an upgrade. And management could work a little harder at make the remote users feel more included in the Partner family.

Don’t grow too big too fast. And keep those core values nurtured and intact.

An excellent company to work for and grow with.

Current Employee - Staff Professional
    Current Employee - Staff Professional

I have been working at Partner Engineering & Science full-time

Pros

Partner has a nationwide presence with a small company feel. The company was built and continues to operate around the idea of creating a challenging and rewarding home for a diverse and knowledgeable field of professionals.

Cons

Although upper management (all the way to the CEO) makes every effort to recognize the efforts of the staff it is a little difficult to "stand out" when in the company of so many talented individuals.

Continue to grow the company in a strategic and well planned manor, don't fall prey to the common mistake of getting too big too fast.

Worked for Partner Engineering & Science? Contribute to the Community!