Partners HealthCare

Be The First To
Add Photos

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb

Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - work from home - most people are gone by 5pm(in 22 reviews)

• Flexible working environment, good benefits, learned quite a bit, great co-workers(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The salaries are often not commensurate with the cost of living(in 3 reviews)

• Large organization so things move slowly(in 4 reviews)

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work with the best

Applications Analyst II (Former Employee) Wellesley, MA

Pros- Phenomenol world class talent in a world class organization, even in IT
    - HIT projects out of star wars, things you can only dream of in the corporate world
    - Tremendous Clinical R&D opportunities
    - Potential to move around in the organization
    - PHS influences not only the US but the rest o the developed world

Cons- No upward mobility in IT. You do what you do and that's that
    - Stagnant management tenure. Same folks in the same position for 15-20 years. No room for new talent.
    - 25-40% lower salaries in IT compared to industry (it's your 'privilage to work here - remember that)
    - No new innovation since Epic is in the house

Advice to Senior Management- Leave OR at least move around. You have been there too long. Make room for new talent.
    - Pay better salaries. You will get better talent.
    - Provide upward mobility career options for folks. Currently its ZERO. At least in IT.
    - Bring Glaser back! Seriously . . . . his time is up @ Siemens

Healthy company to work for

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits (pension, health) are superb. Work-life balance is good. Culturally diverse and promotes service excellence

ConsTraining is not great, no bonuses, not a lot of turn over and hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff more

Home and Work life balance

Applications Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsJob training, career planning. Opportunities to move around in Partners among the entities for job postings. Fantastic mentoring when you can find it.

ConsBureacracy everywhere you turn. Process driven. I suppose this is what made Partners Healthcare what it is in the 1990's, but it's time to move on. Mediocre salaries (nobody's getting rich here, unless you are in R&D or an MD).

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are beginning to know their shortcomings and getting feedback from employees. This is great but the cost structures and reimbursement rates are not going to attract $$ for new talent. You spend quite a bit on physical buildings and new infrastructure, but dont forget this is nothing if you have mediocre talent to go with it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great hospitals, interesting work, uncertain organizational structure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCutting edge healthcare issues
    Mission-driven focus, sense of true purpose
    Committed to providing top-quality care
    Extraordinary hospitals and providers
    Great colleagues
    Challenging, motivating work

ConsCulture varies greatly among hospitals and departments; hard to feel part of the "whole"
    Underlying tension/discomfort between Partners and hospitals
    Extremely varied opportunities for advancement, from a lot in some areas to none at all
    Lack of connection between stated values and actions
    Constant discussion of budget cuts while employees very overworked, trying to fill in gaps
    Managers not always suited for positions

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, more transparent communication to employees, even if unfavorable news
    Find a way to address tension between Partners and hospitals openly; not discussing does not make it disappear; makes it harder to accept Partners' vision
    Evaluate management more carefully, 360 reviews, etc.

I enjoyed my position and most of my co-workers. Lots of +s to working at Partners. Extra hours and no pay is expected.

Senior Administrative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTraining, schooling and on-line classes was available and encouraged. Some compensation available.

ConsThe work load is tremendous and impossible to do within specified hours. You are expected to complete all tasks even if it means you stay after hours. You are NOT compensated for extra work. You must choose to keep your job or lose it by blowing the whistle. Most choose slavery to keep their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees. In many ways, Partners is a fantastic place to work and learn, but you are insanely overworked ad undercompensated. The more stress, the more errors.

Application analyst

Applications Analyst II (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Good benefits
    Growth opportunities
    Career Growth initiatives.

ConsNeeds More staff for support
    Sometimes communication is slow

My experience working for Partners has been positive.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe benefits, perks and leadership

ConsWork-life balance, personal growth, hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture, work-life balance, personal growth, compensation.

Sweatshop Mentality

Research Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBetter than being unemployed. Always hiring due to high turnover rates. Lots of training available due. Everyone is miserable to so there are always people to commiserate with.

ConsI have worked here in 2 different hospitals for 3 years. Would discourage anyone from working for this company. People are so miserable that they spend a great deal of time bad mouthing the management and Partners in general and it creates a very depressing work environment.

Key Points:

- Salaries here are roughly 25% less than other institutions and there are almost no benefits or incentives to make up for the low pay.

- Workload is back breaking. That, coupled with the low pay, makes it feel like a sweatshop.

- Partners has systematically phased out all support departments and forces departments to do HR, Research Admin and Technical Support tasks by themselves to save money.

- There is a culture of fear instilled in all the managers and the Scientists that work here so they are afraid to challenge or question higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at the extremely high turn over rates and realize that you are not retaining talent and are continually having to train new people every year or so. Consider cultivating of a team environment versus the current "every man for himself/herself" mentality.

Mostly positive work environment

Applications Specialist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI work with a lot of nice people. My department functions quiet well as a team. Everyone on our team is good about backing each other up when someone needs help.

ConsMost departments work in silos. They do NOT go the extra mile to help "outsiders". There are too many roadblocks to getting things done when you need resources from another department. Talent pool is wildly uneven. There are some truly smart, innovative people. And then there are others who fall well short of the performance standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more thought and effort into managing human resources. It would be nice if everyone could manager their own time effectively, but this is incredibly difficult for even the most efficient people with a company this large and complex.

Great Company

Grant Administrator II (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits & work life balance.

ConsLack of extrinsic motivators, some poor managers, many "lifers" who reject constructive change

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more control of your direct reports, not everything has to be up for debate.

Worked for Partners HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!