Partners HealthCare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
David F. Torchiana

Pros
  • Good benefits & work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits; opportunity to work with world-class doctors (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Large organization so things move slowly (in 5 reviews)

• there was a high turn over rate in upper management when I was there both directors left and the job fell on the Sr employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Great Place; A Little Too Big

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Smart and dedicated employees doing some wonderful work in healthcare Great benefits Great reputation

Cons

Really big - almost 60,000 employees in total Not enough support for professional growth

2. Great benefits and room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competition is tough but there is lots of opportunity if you're willing to work for it.

Cons

Some areas still work on favoritism instead of merit.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to missed talent. Inform your team of changes and new information

3. IT Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great benefits, reasonable pay, nice people

Cons

Terrible commute to Boston-Longwood and soon Somerville. Not much room for career growth

Senior Project Specialist

Pros

Partners Healthcare is a great place to work. Partners management really cares about people's careers and home life. They are very focused on employee engagement as well.

Cons

There is really only one con for work at Partners. This is the fact that most positions do not include a bonus program.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. Please stay focused on employee engagement. Also,please consider a bonus program for staff employees

6. Great company, great benefits

Pros

It is a great company to work for. They really think of the people working for them and do the best they can to offer many perks and benefits. Every single person I have met across the affiliates is super kind, too, which is always a bonus!

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

7. Good staff, horrendous management.

Former Employee - Call Center Technician in Cranford, NJ
    Former Employee - Call Center Technician in Cranford, NJ

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location is central Exposes you to different diagnosis, pharmacotherapy as well as ltc operations.

Cons

Pays less. Forced to work weekends Forced to sign a non competing contract( not allowed to work for another competitive long term care pharmacy for a few years after leaving them) Technology is always failing resulting in employees working longer hours. Really bad work life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like people and not $$ signs. I know at the end of the day it's all about business but employees won't leave you for competition if you treated them humanely.

Great benefits, really large healthcare corporate

Current Employee - Applications Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In many ways a great culture - non-profit, working with healthcare professionals to improve care or a large network of leading hospitals. The benefits are great, from health care (of course) to employee perks like access to sporting and concert tickets and other corporate discounts. Time off is fair. I have a fabulous manager. Not only are the health care benefits good from a cash point of view, access to some of the best care makes up for what might be a slightly less competitive salary. Ultimately the best reward is positively affecting patient care, even in the most distant type of role that isn't directly helping patients.

Cons

So large, it's almost impossible to effect change. Bureaucratic - some of this is because of healthcare regulations and the like, but sometimes the number of middle managers gets in the way of decision making or structurally inhibits cross-team communication. Their excuse is that they're a non-profit, and that policy doesn't allow it -- a move to a role that should have paid 20% more did not see a raise of anywhere near that. Stayed because ultimately the skills built will allow me to move elsewhere in six months and earn significantly more. So I consider it an investment in my career, however if they want to retain talent this is a poor strategy.

Advice to Management

Work to break down silos and be transparent with decision-making. Regularly seek input and demonstrate that input can be translated into constructive action. Communicate wide-impact changes, and encourage all levels of the organization to not assume they know the impact. Retain your talent - do not cap pay increases if an employee is switching to a new functional role. Reward internal hires -- limiting growth by limiting compensation is not helping your bottom line. If you pay an employee significantly less than the people around them for the same work, this is not gaining you in the long run. You're essentially training me so I can go consult and then you can hire me back at 3-4 times the rate. You would've done better to invest in my career than count pennies, since replacing me will cost four times that much.

9. Partners Healthcare; interesting, demanding, low pay

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Access to many talented people and advanced medical equipment

Cons

More than a full-time job with little to no salary advancement. No overtime for research employees.

Advice to Management

Improve salaries to minimally keep up with inflation.

10. Spend your career here

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I first heard about Partners in 2000 from two directors who were taking a professional development course. During a converation, they raced about Partners Healthcare and expressed their expectation to spend their careers here. So far, 14 years later, one is still here. One great thing about Partners is that it's so big so there are many opportunities to move and try different roles. I know this can vary tremendously, but I've been able to work for some of the most competent managers who have given me freedom to be creative in my roles supporting training and taught me a lot about how to be more effective. I've also had access to leadership and have been impressed by their knowledge of employees, their decision-making, and their inspirational messages. The healthcare benefits and other are really good.

Cons

Because it is so large, there is little flexibility negotiating benefits, PTO, and salary. It is pretty market driven and fair, but I wish managers had more influence. My last promotion took a couple years to be approved based on how roles are structured.

Advice to Management

Though times are leaner now, the various tokens of appreciation that used to occur - annual Partners gifts, dinner with execs at the Pru, and holiday parties were a great way to stay connected and feel appreciated. I'll always remember John Glaser dancing in his socks to the IS band at the holiday party!

11. Program director

Current Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good exposure to the cutting edge of medicine and thought leaders in healthcare. Only good for kids straight out of grad school willing to put in long hours for little pay, but interesting experience.

Cons

Used to be a good place to work. Incredibly poor leadership and communication in some corporate areas. Staffers are miserable, and new leadership is clueless--just busy trying to get EPIC installed, and self-promote within the local healthcare scene. Lots of new staffers in leadership positions with no experience. It's like watching a slow motion train crash-we see leadership screwing up, they won't take advice from staffers that have been around for a while, but then we are the ones expected to work long hours to correct their missteps. Morale is terrible and most staffers with experience are actively looking for new jobs. If you've ever wanted to work at partners, now is your chance. Just expect long hours, low pay and zero career development.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the new leadership installed at corporate, and provide them with some career coaching....unless the real plan is to have 100% turnover in order to reduce salary overhead.

RSS Feed </> Embed