Partners HealthCare

Updated October 23, 2014
3.4

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb
Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - work from home - most people are gone by 5pm (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits; opportunity to work with world-class doctors (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any large organization there are times when it is very political so you need to be prepared for that when working her (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't seem to care much about the staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Hands Down My Favorite Place To Work

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my section--because this is a hospital network. Was that every day was dynamic and different it's a large organization with many many people to interact with. The company cares about it's employees in that they give bonuses, allow lateral movement (promotion from within), offer good benefits, and just have perks and employee morale boosters. I really sometimes wish I wouldnt have left but I was not a fan of the wider city.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a little bit of politics or people from other departments (aka The Suits) throwing their weight around but I suppose this is inevitable of any multifaceted organization with so many elements. Direct hire seems tricky to obtain for my department. Generally it's good to know of somebody and an opening if you are working your way in from the bottom. My department was 24hr operation which cuts into life in the city. Parking likely sucks if you can not take public transportation to most of the dense hospitals.

Get out of the way. At times you need to listen to the subordinate elements that are actually boots on ground.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have very smart, dedicated and talented people at Partners all working towards the mission of the company.
    Great Benefits including work from home policy.
    Leaders in the healthcare arena

Cons

Low college tuition reimbursement.
    promote from within

Financial Analyst

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

easy 9-5 job, relaxed environment, great benefits are nice and location was in the pru in back bay ! It was a great job if you enjoy mindless work

Cons

there was a high turn over rate in upper management when I was there both directors left and the job fell on the Sr employees. just because you are a good employee doesn't make you a great manager. as i was there longer it seemed like a government job people wouldnt get fired for doing average work or slow work..

get rid of the people that drag the quality of work down

solid place to work

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good work life balance. Generally a convivial atmosphere with solid work ethic. Lots of opportunity and room to grow.

Cons

pay raises year to year are small.

Great experience working for a not for profit

Current Employee - Corporate Card Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Card Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible health benefits, perks, and training. Management encourages movement within the company. Incredibly diverse group of employees from all over the world.

Cons

Lower end of payment scale due to the fact that it is not for profit. Upper mgmt is often unaware of the discourse among the workers .

Better communication

Great company!

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and fair pay. Lots of options in and around Boston.

Cons

For me, commute. There's also some difficulty with communication between IT teams

NA

Great benefits, great people, and great values.

Current Employee - Audit in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do incredible work and it's nice to be a part of a company that gives back. Management is great and cares about what is going on in your life and what you can contribute to the team.

Cons

Non-profit does not have good bonuses or raises in general, Partners isn't the exception. Departments tend to be small so upward mobility is lacking because most people stay at partners for a long time.

More flexibility for working from home for corporate employees.

Lots of red tape and bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Project Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to retire with company. Some of the smartest and hardest working people in the industry. Very professional environment. Good education programs within the company.

Cons

It takes forever to get anything done because of the size and bureaucracy. Lots of red tape.

Consider more introductions between department and different organizations within the company. Help employees to have better visibility in the business processes and how others may contribute or influence.

Exciting work but management doesn't value employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Partners HealthCare (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top, dedicated healthcare professionals delivering care, doing cutting edge research and teaching at hospitals. Provides a sense of mission to support these institutions.

Cons

Very low morale. A lot of bureaucracy, management well taken care of whether good managers or not, and do not value employees. Little growth opportunity generally and due to low turnover of managers.

Do 360 reviews of your managers. Reach out to non-managers to find out what's really happening. Morale is lower than ever. Acknowledge that everyone is overworked and we're getting beaten up in the press instead of just announcing more budget cuts and "values" that bear no resemblance to workplace.

Enjoyed working with a variety of people at a company dedicated to healthcare

Former Employee - Applications Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst II in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is tons of training. They are quite flexible with work at home and family life work balance. Benefits are excellent. There are a lot of opportunities to move around within the network if you're good.

Cons

Partners eCare will cause a lot of people to be laid off, and it's not always the last in, it may be the least liked. There is no union. Salaries are low compared to the industry (or they were).

Treat your base level employees with respect. Communicate WAY more than you do now and stop promoting people because of their tenure.

Partners HealthCare Photos