Partners HealthCare

Updated October 19, 2014
3.4

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb
Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - work from home - most people are gone by 5pm (in 30 reviews)

• Great benefits; opportunity to work with world-class doctors (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any large organization there are times when it is very political so you need to be prepared for that when working her (in 5 reviews)

• Raises are under cost of living, ALWAYS, even with good reviews (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hands Down My Favorite Place To Work

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my section--because this is a hospital network. Was that every day was dynamic and different it's a large organization with many many people to interact with. The company cares about it's employees in that they give bonuses, allow lateral movement (promotion from within), offer good benefits, and just have perks and employee morale boosters. I really sometimes wish I wouldnt have left but I was not a fan of the wider city.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a little bit of politics or people from other departments (aka The Suits) throwing their weight around but I suppose this is inevitable of any multifaceted organization with so many elements. Direct hire seems tricky to obtain for my department. Generally it's good to know of somebody and an opening if you are working your way in from the bottom. My department was 24hr operation which cuts into life in the city. Parking likely sucks if you can not take public transportation to most of the dense hospitals.

Get out of the way. At times you need to listen to the subordinate elements that are actually boots on ground.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have very smart, dedicated and talented people at Partners all working towards the mission of the company.
    Great Benefits including work from home policy.
    Leaders in the healthcare arena

Cons

Low college tuition reimbursement.
    promote from within

Financial Analyst

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

easy 9-5 job, relaxed environment, great benefits are nice and location was in the pru in back bay ! It was a great job if you enjoy mindless work

Cons

there was a high turn over rate in upper management when I was there both directors left and the job fell on the Sr employees. just because you are a good employee doesn't make you a great manager. as i was there longer it seemed like a government job people wouldnt get fired for doing average work or slow work..

get rid of the people that drag the quality of work down

solid place to work

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good work life balance. Generally a convivial atmosphere with solid work ethic. Lots of opportunity and room to grow.

Cons

pay raises year to year are small.

Great company!

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and fair pay. Lots of options in and around Boston.

Cons

For me, commute. There's also some difficulty with communication between IT teams

NA

Great benefits, great people, and great values.

Current Employee - Audit in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do incredible work and it's nice to be a part of a company that gives back. Management is great and cares about what is going on in your life and what you can contribute to the team.

Cons

Non-profit does not have good bonuses or raises in general, Partners isn't the exception. Departments tend to be small so upward mobility is lacking because most people stay at partners for a long time.

More flexibility for working from home for corporate employees.

Great experience working for a not for profit

Current Employee - Corporate Card Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Card Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible health benefits, perks, and training. Management encourages movement within the company. Incredibly diverse group of employees from all over the world.

Cons

Lower end of payment scale due to the fact that it is not for profit. Upper mgmt is often unaware of the discourse among the workers .

Better communication

Lots of wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management isn't overbearing and generally is content to let you do your thing. The environment is relaxed with a relaxed dress code unless face to face meetings with clients are required. Overall people are very friendly which is a very pleasant experience.

Cons

No real training when I came aboard. It was with the grace of a couple of competent and willing coworkers that I was able to find my footing. Basically you were introduced to a few applicable templates and a couple locations for applicable materials and that was it.

Management, as a whole, did not seem to understand the nature of their job and seemed more interested in the volume then the quality to the point where it became dangerous because of potential legal implications.

No reference materials were provided for an individual to even be able learn on their own and management could not name even half of the applicable policies and procedures that were necessary to perform the services. There was a general feeling many in management positions were not qualified to run these particular departments.

The handling of the departments budget were questionable given that the amount of work was increasing steadily and yet they were consistently trimming down the office to the point where everyone was completely overworked and were not able to assist their end users in an appropriate time based on the sheer amount of work on their desk. Additionally many employees were not salaried and overtime was discouraged and for the most part not allowed management actually expressed genuine surprise no one was able to produce quality work for every single end user in a 40 hr work week.

The sad part is with good management and a better system in place this could be a great job on every front.

Need competent staff who are qualified to do their job

There needs to be real training for incoming employees and much better references about policies and procedures and necessary contacts.

Hold on to the ones who are doing a good job and consider consequences of actions

Epic tidal wave changes everything!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Tons of learning opportunities, working with world class clinicians, focus on patient care, can move around within the company.

Cons

Dramatic culture change with Epic rip and replace of current systems. Lots of new people and confusion, deadline driven without attention to quality. No one talks about patient care or patient safety anymore, it's all about making your dates. Managers are in meetings all day and no longer able to provide coaching or mentorship. Feels like just another corporate job.

Don't forget what made you great in the first place. Don't become another also-ran.

Great place to work if you want to stay in healthcare

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

great people to work with, leadership is willing to try to listen to your concerns and fix them over a course of time, great health benefits (medical, dental, vision), and a good opportunity to learn all about healthcare

Cons

huge lack of communication between departments, little room for growth up the chain, not enough work to keep the amount of people continuously hired busy

Different departments need to learn to talk to each other. No one has any idea what other departments are doing and it always causes trouble.

Partners HealthCare Photos