Partners HealthCare

Updated November 7, 2014
3.5

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb
Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros
  • Benefits are good, great work/life balance because everyone runs out at 5 (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits; opportunity to work with world-class doctors (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any large organization there are times when it is very political so you need to be prepared for that when working her (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't seem to care much about the staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fabulous organization; lots of opportunity!

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Partners HealthCare (and before that, Newton-Wellesley Hospital- one if its affiliates) for over 30 years. It is a great, innovative employer, offering excellent career growth and a flexible, work-life balance environment. The organization has a strong commitment to research, its patients and the communities that it serves.

Cons

The organization, like and health care employer is facing unprecendented financial challenges due to health care reform, but understands the mission to provide affordable health care and will strike a good balance for employees as well as those for which it provides excellent health care.

Great company; continue to see career advancement potential in employees and retain and grow your workforce from within; while offering external candidates opportunity to also join a great company.

All around great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to develop experience, take training, and start a career. Lots of professional development opportunities. I would recommend this employer to others.

Cons

It can sometimes be difficult to progress because of company policies. Some might find it a bit slow because of the pace of healthcare.

Growth

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The vision of the people who have built this organization is very futuristic. The design is to make health care cost stabilize and give the public a reliable top-notch organization for their health care. In addition the new possibilities for health care advancement and research are being explored across many of the hospitals. The company reaches for new and better way of doing anything in health care that saves lives and money.

Cons

The processes are sometimes arduous internally and it takes an extended period of time to accomplish some things in policy, procedures and system designs.

Intern - Materials Management

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Huge company, great resources

Cons

Things move extremely slow

Keep it up

Good place to build a health care career, but beware of the bureaucracy...

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Partners is one of the strongest health care players in New England, and working there means working with some of the best hospitals in the country. If you are looking to build a healthcare career in the Greater Boston area, this is a great place to start.

The company offers good pay and great benefits, as well as a vast array of career opportunities for clinical and administrative healthcare professionals alike.

Cons

As one of the largest integrated health systems in the country, Partners has a bureaucratic organizational structure that can be frustrating if not exceedingly difficult to navigate. At the same time, while the company's 501(c)3 nonprofit status helps it to maintain a focus on its mission to provide quality patient care and research, it has a distinctly corporate culture that one could argue is "nonprofit" by name only.

Additionally, it is worth noting that there is a nationwide trend in which large health networks have moved to strengthen their market share by acquiring smaller community hospitals, research centers and physician practices within their region. With ever greater bargaining power, these health networks put upward pressure on prices and, in doing so, can challenge the affordability of health care services for many patients. Make no mistake: Partners is one of the organizations that has led this charge.

Corporate management should at all times take inspiration from the constant innovation that is occurring at the organization's clinical front lines. These hospitals and research institutions deserve to be supported by finance, operations, and HR functions that mirror their mission-driven commitment to the stakeholders that matter most: the patients.

Hands Down My Favorite Place To Work

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my section--because this is a hospital network. Was that every day was dynamic and different it's a large organization with many many people to interact with. The company cares about it's employees in that they give bonuses, allow lateral movement (promotion from within), offer good benefits, and just have perks and employee morale boosters. I really sometimes wish I wouldnt have left but I was not a fan of the wider city.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a little bit of politics or people from other departments (aka The Suits) throwing their weight around but I suppose this is inevitable of any multifaceted organization with so many elements. Direct hire seems tricky to obtain for my department. Generally it's good to know of somebody and an opening if you are working your way in from the bottom. My department was 24hr operation which cuts into life in the city. Parking likely sucks if you can not take public transportation to most of the dense hospitals.

Get out of the way. At times you need to listen to the subordinate elements that are actually boots on ground.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have very smart, dedicated and talented people at Partners all working towards the mission of the company.
    Great Benefits including work from home policy.
    Leaders in the healthcare arena

Cons

Low college tuition reimbursement.
    promote from within

Financial Analyst

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

easy 9-5 job, relaxed environment, great benefits are nice and location was in the pru in back bay ! It was a great job if you enjoy mindless work

Cons

there was a high turn over rate in upper management when I was there both directors left and the job fell on the Sr employees. just because you are a good employee doesn't make you a great manager. as i was there longer it seemed like a government job people wouldnt get fired for doing average work or slow work..

get rid of the people that drag the quality of work down

solid place to work

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good work life balance. Generally a convivial atmosphere with solid work ethic. Lots of opportunity and room to grow.

Cons

pay raises year to year are small.

Great company!

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and fair pay. Lots of options in and around Boston.

Cons

For me, commute. There's also some difficulty with communication between IT teams

NA