Partners HealthCare

Be The First To
Add Photos

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb

Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros:
  • "Benefits are good, great work/life balance because everyone runs out at 5"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Relatively good benefits, such as health insurance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The salaries are often not commensurate with the cost of living"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Large organization so things move slowly"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Satisfactory

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

ProsWorking for partners is great. Flexible schedule, great people, moderate pay.

ConsNo room for real growth or significant salary increase.

Partners

I have been working at Partners HealthCare

ProsWork life balance is a focus, Benefits are competitive, Job Opportunities are widely available, Training is accessible

Consno possibility for bonus, rigid job function, no cohesiveness between departments and hospital entities. Raises are low and promotions take time.

Cutting-edge health care management

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with nice people who are at the top of their professions. Good benefits. Good entry level opportunities and training programs.

ConsLimited chance to grow if you are mid-career. Way behind in their use of IS technology!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve employees more in the decision-making process.

The best!

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery competitive and sustainability oriented

ConsBenefits are expensive and parking

Advice to Senior ManagementLower benefit costs to employees

Provides the best in health care but not in professional development

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPHS provides great benefits - health care,dental,STD,LTD. For new graduates a good place to learn for a few years but in order to advance your career you will need to go elsewhere. Work/Life balance - work from home - most people are gone by 5pm.

ConsThe pay is below market for many position - the benefits help to off-set this for some. Unfortunatley there are not many opportunity to advance your career at PHS - you can get to middle level and then there is no where else to go but out. Tuition reimbursement is horrible - PHS tends to promote people who are not qualified for the job then wonder why the person failed terribly - continue to make this mistake over and over. Do not hold people accountable they just move them were they do less damage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue a productive work force you should focus on reducing your non performers - hold people accountable for their job responsibilities. Make sure the individual has the competencies to be effective in their role at PHS. It only makes more work for others when you hire or keep the wrong people.

North Shore Medical Center needs serious improvement

Salem, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCell phone discounts, health insurance is decent but only if you're full-time (part time employees are charged way more, and most of their check goes to coverage)

ConsLow wages at North Shore Medical Center, and 2% raise each year if you're lucky. Loyalty & seniority are not rewarded nor respected. I've seen many co-workers who had been employed there for decades and in good standing get tossed aside, and replaced by lower paid substitutes by reducing their hours drastically and then taking new and cheaper hires. Nurses were on strike recently, and employees at Union Hospital are furious from their site being closed down. It's seriously a mess there now, and has been for awhile but it used to be a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within more often. Change attendance policy so that sick days with medical notes are excused instead of no exceptions whatsoever. Employees in hospitals pick up lots of germs from patients, but are penalized when they get sick themselves. Workers are forced to lie about their illnesses because they won't let you work if you have the flu (even after getting the flu shot before to prevent it) so they come in and spread it to their co-workers and patients. This is sad and disturbing in a healthcare setting.

Bureaucratic but educational

Lab Tech (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Proslearn a lot, make connections

Conslow pay, not much time off

Little chance for advancement

Agreement Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits; opportunity to work with world-class doctors

ConsInept management, lack of opportunities for professional development, lack of logic in decisions about processes, standards, no criteria communicated to professional staff regardind promotions, decisions about promotions were arbitrary abd capricious and made without reasonable transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would benefit from making use of the skills of staff rather than being threatened by anyone who raised reasonable questions about decisions, policies

An OK job, but not much more

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStarting to do flex hours and work from home, good training, fair salary.

ConsDon't care about employees. Raises are under cost of living, ALWAYS, even with good reviews. Way too many bosses, too few workers. Impersonal. It's all about what you can make people think you do and not what you actually do. And to that point, meetings, meetings, meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some more people and stop working those still there into the ground.

Long term employee. Used to be a nice place to work.

I have been working at Partners HealthCare

ProsRank and file staff care about patients and patient care. People care about the mission and that is what attracts them to Partners.

ConsAll Partners corporate employees heading for a giant cube farm. All levels of staff to be put in cubes - even director level! Decision was made to save money with no regard at all to staff or managers or how they do their work. This WILL result in experienced and marketable staff and managers leaving in droves. Those that are not experienced, marginal or poor performers will suck it up and stay. The result will be an organization of deadwood staff isolated from those they serve directly at the PHS sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are better ways to trim PHS Corporate head count than to herd all staff into a giant cube farm in Somerville. Cube farms work well for certain organizations. Partners is not one of them. Competent, experienced staff, managers and directors who can leave probably will or at least start looking soon. A giant cube farm for all roles and responsibilities will be disruptive and counterproductive. Short term savings in real estate costs but a giant long term cost of talent, moral and productivity. Current employees can only hope and pray that senior leadership rethink this current strategy.

Worked for Partners HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Partners HealthCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Partners HealthCare CEO Gary L. Gottlieb. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Partners HealthCare employees.