Partners HealthCare

Updated September 28, 2014
3.4

Partners HealthCare President & CEO Gary L. Gottlieb
Gary L. Gottlieb

Pros
  • Work/Life balance - work from home - most people are gone by 5pm (in 27 reviews)

• Flexible working environment, good benefits, learned quite a bit, great co-workers (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any large organization there are times when it is very political so you need to be prepared for that when working her (in 5 reviews)

• The salaries are often not commensurate with the cost of living (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable, good benefits

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II  in  Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance, stable, good hours, regular cost of living increases.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to advance, but there are variety of teams -- lateral moves are plentiful.

I think they are great at communicating and I'm very happy with it.

Wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity because it's so big and has so many local and national connections, strong mission, culture of strong work ethic, great employee perks, executive leadership is on point

Cons

It's really big and there can be red tape if you don't know the right people, parking is tough (I preferred to bike 8 or 9 miles each way), middle management not always well-placed

Partners Healthcare is an excellent company.

I worked at Partners HealthCare as a contractor

Pros

The compensation and benefits are very fair and reasonable. It's like being a part of a big family. The atmosphere is extremely low key and relaxed. They have great discounts for public transit, various movie tickets and sports games.

Cons

The training was a bit extensive. Management can be a a bit old fashioned. I often felt like you were in the club or out of the club. This can be hard when you're trying to move up.

I think the company values are really good. There is always opportunity for personal growth and always room for improvement and I think the company does a good job of conducting evaluations to make sure this occurs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Partners is a fair company with decent salaries and excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II  in  Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Partners is so large that once you are there if you want to grow or change positions there are many opportunities to do so. Furthermore the managers are typically supportive of their employees moving within the company.

In addition I am able to work from home 1-2 days per week, and my managers are very supportive of my need for work-life balance.

Cons

As with any large organization there are times when it is very political so you need to be prepared for that when working her. Also things tend to move very...slowly... here.
    Lastly the compensation, although very fair, is lower than many of my colleagues in other companies within the industry.

Merit increases need to be more aligned with cost of living increases and need to encourage high performers.

Epic tidal wave changes everything!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Tons of learning opportunities, working with world class clinicians, focus on patient care, can move around within the company.

Cons

Dramatic culture change with Epic rip and replace of current systems. Lots of new people and confusion, deadline driven without attention to quality. No one talks about patient care or patient safety anymore, it's all about making your dates. Managers are in meetings all day and no longer able to provide coaching or mentorship. Feels like just another corporate job.

Don't forget what made you great in the first place. Don't become another also-ran.

Mission is Awesome, Pay is not.

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission - There is a real sense that you are part of something that makes a positive impact in Boston and on the world.
    Great People
    Innovative Hospitals
    Benefits
    Work-life Balance

Cons

Pay is terrible for the market. And it isn't going to get better.
    Low performers drag everyone down -- they don't let low performers go.
    Not a lot of room for advancement

I know it is a tough financial market for you, but you have to do something about the low salaries. Also, don't be so afraid to let people go. Educate managers on what needs to be done so that they don't need to be so worried about having difficult conversations and lawsuits.

Revenue Integrity dept: Terrible management personality -thinks they own their role

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

great benefits - world class hospitals - great salary

Cons

too many posturing, and people-pleasers, management-pleasers within the dept.
    black managers prefer white employees
    managed as bully in that dept.

there is both sides to an employee-to-manager relationshiop --hear the employee's AND your manager before allowing your faulty manager to fire an employee - which happened on my case.

Good work/life balance with work-from-hone opportunity, but no real growth opportunity unless you transfer out.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Partners provided a work opportunity to me after being laid off from a prior position. Partners offers remote work opportunities (I work from home 2 days per week,) good work/life balance, decent medical benefits and perks (discounts on goods and service purchases.)

Cons

The open floor plan in my office is awful for productivity and the salary is low relative to what I was being paid to do similar work at another company. The paid time off is not that great -- all your holiday, vacation and sick time are bundled into one pool -- and you don't accrue a lot until you're at the company for a long time. You can buy up to 10 days, but at what Partners pays you, this can be somewhat challenging.

Please rethink the open floor plan, which is supposed to foster collaboration, but I find it to be terribly disruptive and counterproductive to my work. I would also encourage management to provide more career path options; they are extremely limited, virtually nonexistent.

Mixed bag

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, no micro-management, can work from home as much as needed. Great benefits. Immediate group works well as a team. Hospital staff is generally pleasant to work with. Work feels meaningful because of its close connection to patient care.

Cons

No chance for growth. Everyone gets a flat 2% raise every year regardless of performance. Many meetings in which we are warned that Partners is "tightening its belt". Potential layoffs after Epic conversion. Corporate Values Statement doesn't match the reality of the culture. Teamwork between different corporate groups is not good; some groups are obstructive or unresponsive.

Sr Software Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Programmer II  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Programmer II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

very good company , work life balance is really good , good people to work

Cons

you need to keep upto date for your beneficial

nothing

Partners HealthCare Photos

David Finance,Systems Administrator --Coach & Community Builder
Eleni Director of Grant Management--All-Star Mom
Sandy Application Coordinator--Obstacle Course Champion
Ellen Corporate Manager, Administration--Avid Reader

+ Add Photo

Worked for Partners HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!