Partners HealthCare

Employer Engaged

Wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity because it's so big and has so many local and national connections, strong mission, culture of strong work ethic, great employee perks, executive leadership is on point

Cons

It's really big and there can be red tape if you don't know the right people, parking is tough (I preferred to bike 8 or 9 miles each way), middle management not always well-placed

Epic tidal wave changes everything!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Tons of learning opportunities, working with world class clinicians, focus on patient care, can move around within the company.

Cons

Dramatic culture change with Epic rip and replace of current systems. Lots of new people and confusion, deadline driven without attention to quality. No one talks about patient care or patient safety anymore, it's all about making your dates. Managers are in meetings all day and no longer able to provide coaching or mentorship. Feels like just another corporate job.

Don't forget what made you great in the first place. Don't become another also-ran.

Great place to work if you want to stay in healthcare

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

great people to work with, leadership is willing to try to listen to your concerns and fix them over a course of time, great health benefits (medical, dental, vision), and a good opportunity to learn all about healthcare

Cons

huge lack of communication between departments, little room for growth up the chain, not enough work to keep the amount of people continuously hired busy

Different departments need to learn to talk to each other. No one has any idea what other departments are doing and it always causes trouble.

Mission is Awesome, Pay is not.

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission - There is a real sense that you are part of something that makes a positive impact in Boston and on the world.
    Great People
    Innovative Hospitals
    Benefits
    Work-life Balance

Cons

Pay is terrible for the market. And it isn't going to get better.
    Low performers drag everyone down -- they don't let low performers go.
    Not a lot of room for advancement

I know it is a tough financial market for you, but you have to do something about the low salaries. Also, don't be so afraid to let people go. Educate managers on what needs to be done so that they don't need to be so worried about having difficult conversations and lawsuits.

Revenue Integrity dept: Terrible management personality -thinks they own their role

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlestown, MA

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great benefits - world class hospitals - great salary

Cons

too many posturing, and people-pleasers, management-pleasers within the dept.
    black managers prefer white employees
    managed as bully in that dept.

there is both sides to an employee-to-manager relationshiop --hear the employee's AND your manager before allowing your faulty manager to fire an employee - which happened on my case.

Good work/life balance with work-from-hone opportunity, but no real growth opportunity unless you transfer out.

Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Partners provided a work opportunity to me after being laid off from a prior position. Partners offers remote work opportunities (I work from home 2 days per week,) good work/life balance, decent medical benefits and perks (discounts on goods and service purchases.)

Cons

The open floor plan in my office is awful for productivity and the salary is low relative to what I was being paid to do similar work at another company. The paid time off is not that great -- all your holiday, vacation and sick time are bundled into one pool -- and you don't accrue a lot until you're at the company for a long time. You can buy up to 10 days, but at what Partners pays you, this can be somewhat challenging.

Please rethink the open floor plan, which is supposed to foster collaboration, but I find it to be terribly disruptive and counterproductive to my work. I would also encourage management to provide more career path options; they are extremely limited, virtually nonexistent.

Sr Software Engineer

Current Contractor - Systems Programmer II in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Systems Programmer II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

very good company , work life balance is really good , good people to work

Cons

you need to keep upto date for your beneficial

nothing

Amazing Company

I worked at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Mission; Being a part of innovation and high quality care; Executive Leadership is excellent and very forward thinking. Flexible work schedules. Benefits are great.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Very little room for promotion. Bosses would rather hire outside than promote from within. PTO and holidays are rolled together which is very confusing, so if you take the 4th of July off, that comes out of your PTO bank.

Change the PTO to work like other companies. I understand that you are in tight times, but you pay less than much smaller and poorer non-profits -- you have to increase the pay. Encourage succession planning and reward loyalty -- as much as the mission means to some people, if they can't meet their basic needs and they aren't moving up, they won't stay.

Partners takes care of their employees

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, sick and vacation time and job security

Cons

the pay could be a little higher

Mixed bag

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Partners HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, no micro-management, can work from home as much as needed. Great benefits. Immediate group works well as a team. Hospital staff is generally pleasant to work with. Work feels meaningful because of its close connection to patient care.

Cons

No chance for growth. Everyone gets a flat 2% raise every year regardless of performance. Many meetings in which we are warned that Partners is "tightening its belt". Potential layoffs after Epic conversion. Corporate Values Statement doesn't match the reality of the culture. Teamwork between different corporate groups is not good; some groups are obstructive or unresponsive.

Partners HealthCare Photos