Partners for Success and Innovation

Colleen Lorber

RN, school nurse, sub

Current Employee - RN, School Nurse in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - RN, School Nurse in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Partners for Success and Innovation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part is time off with my children according to their elementary school schedule. As a sub, I tell the days I am available for the week.

Cons

There is not a lot potential for upward growth within the company. Healthcare leaders are very helpful at answering questions if problems arise. Someone always answers the phone.

To low pay.

Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Partners for Success and Innovation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no good things to say.

Cons

To low of pay considering my work experience.

Get more jobs to employ me fulltime.

enjoyed the work

Former Employee - Firewatch in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Firewatch in Baytown, TX

I worked at Partners for Success and Innovation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

made lots of money in a laid back environment

Cons

contract job, late hours, one day out of every other Sunday off

its a good company to work for if you are manage material

The job is interesting, always-changing and fun. It can be very challenging -- as there is always something new.

Current Employee - School Health Aide in Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - School Health Aide in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Partners for Success and Innovation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As you follow a school calendar/schedule, the hours cannot be beaten for "stay-at-home" parents of school-age children. You do not need to worry about daycare as you will typically be home when your children are.

The work is exceptionally challenging in that you are frequently faced with medical conditions that you've never seen or heard of before. The work takes intuition, knowledge, research and training.

The job is definitely not boring! Your day will go fast. The kids are so entertaining and interesting. You learn a lot from the kids and you get a lot back from them. So that part is very rewarding.

Cons

Far and away it is the pay. You will start at $8.50/hour for work that can be exceptionally demanding. And the pay rate may not be raised for several years. If you are placed in a high-volume clinic, you are constantly engaged in patient care and documentation. It can be nearly impossible to run a clinic and accomplish the endless paperwork that is also involved. Not to mention the vision screenings, hearing screenings and BMI screenings.

The pay is definitely not reflective of the work that we do. We are constantly juggling full clinics with an endless stream of students pouring in - some who truly need care - and some who don't. All, however, will need the same level of assessment (& documentation). You definitely need to be an intuitive and flexible person who is VERY GOOD at multitasking. It can be very difficult to complete a single task without many interruptions. This is the rule, rather than the exception. Further, you do not receive any more pay for handling a high-volume clinic than an aide working in a slower clinic receives. Nor do you receive support or assistance from PSI to help with screenings.

The pay is not reflective of the level of responsibility that we assume. We are responsible for handling all medical emergencies in our buildings. This can include severe head/neck traumas, choking, severe asthma attacks, anaphylactic reactions as well as heart attacks and strokes of staff members and visitors. And it is not unusual to be faced with emergency situations approximately 5-6 times per school year. It doesn't feel right to be charged with such responsibility while being paid little more than minimum wage.

The pay is not reflective of the "abuse" that we face from parents. We are constantly second-guessed - whether by parents or by teachers. You need to have thick skin as there will almost always be someone who disagrees with the decision that you have made. Many parents are very stressed and are facing a myriad of challenges of their own. Unfortunately, they very often take their stress out on you. Very often, you are in a position of feeling darned if you do - and darned if you don't.

Fortunately, the hours and the nature of the work (changing, challenging, interesting and fun) will compensate for these drawbacks. PSI will offer a few nominal tokens of appreciation during the school year, which is appreciated by their staff.

However, you should be made aware: The culture at PSI is non-supportive, punitive and belittling in nature. Taking a day off for illness is an extremely stressful, guilt-inducing process. If you are full-time, you will get 5 sick days. As you use them up - and approach 5 days -- or should you surpass the 5 days -- you will receive threatening letters... regardless of the cause of your absence - surgery, etc., notwithstanding. It is belittling.

Furthermore, management is too removed from daily life in a clinic. They truly believe that any yahoo off the street can do the work. Consequently, they treat you as though they can replace you in a heartbeat. They do not recognize their health aides who toil on the "front lines" with an enormous amount of responsibility and who perform with grace and professionalism. Those who have steadfastly and responsibly served with consistency and good judgment while receiving insulting pay. Those health aides are treated with the same condescension and lack of respect as the yahoo-off-the-street that they hire, who can't handle the job more than 3 days.

Fortunately, the work involves very little interaction with management and the office staff at PSI. If you are aware of these drawbacks when you begin your career at PSI, I believe that you will be very happy and satisfied with your work. The work does afford a wonderful work/life balance and the schools are staffed by friendly, caring people who will be appreciative of all that you have to offer. Those are the people you will be dealing with on a daily basis. So, overall, I would recommend PSI for people looking for a "Mom" job - or a stepping-stone job. It is DEFINITELY not a career-type job, nor is it designed to be.

Recognize and appreciate your aides - they ARE your bottom line. They ARE your bread-and-butter. Recognize their work, knowledge and professionalism. And treat them likewise. Stop treating aides who have proven themselves to be a valuable part of the PSI "team" as though they are recently-released inmates in need of reforming. We are meant to be a team. Management is not our parents. We are not children. Treat us with the respect that we deserve.

nice vacation but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Partners for Success and Innovation

Pros

cool office in lodo, somewhat relaxed atmosphere

Cons

frequent regime changes - and those leaders bring their flying monkeys with them filling all possible advancement opportunities. Lax IT processes

recognize your existing employees and give them a chance to grow. it's a great place to go if you just want to do your job and go home at the end of your 'shift'

In the end, it is about business, not education.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Partners for Success and Innovation

Pros

They have a longstanding history in the area, so resources are generally good. They do provide annual continuing education opportunities.

Cons

Support is inconsistent and spotty. There is a sense of "sink or swim" when working for this company, as expectations are sometimes unclear. No opportunity for advancement. Work is at-will and hourly; no benefits are provided, and if a school contract is discontinued or a school is on vacation, the employee is expected to resort to unemployment. There is a disconnect between reviews and actual expectations.

Work with your staff to increase the sense of community and foster more open communication. It is difficult enough to work in a school where one is not an employee of the school; work with newer employees to help prevent isolation and/or a downward spiral as the year progresses.

Great company with allot of opportunity

I have been working at Partners for Success and Innovation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PSI is a large company with a great deal of opportunity if you are ambition. It is financially solvent and managed to survive the last recession with minimal job lost. Co-works are great.

Cons

Some of the equiment is old and out of date.

Update some of the tools and equiment.

Good work culture

I have been working at Partners for Success and Innovation

Pros

Flexibiliy, work culture, helping seniors

Cons

Carrer growth, compansation, limited work force

I had a good experience

Former Employee - Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst

I worked at Partners for Success and Innovation

Pros

Worked on many interesting projects.

Cons

Compensation remained average for all the years.