Party City

www.partycity.com

Party City Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable(in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor)(in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing(in 19 reviews)

LOVE WORKING AT PARTY CITY.

General Manager (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsEveryone I work with in my district is wonderful. Supportive, helpful and genuinely wants to be there for each other. I was given extensive hands on training before getting my own store and the experience could not have been more positive. Love my job.

ConsRetail is always challenging. But, it's worth it if you've got it in your blood. If you like hands on, you will love this job. Nothing ever stays the same and there is always something to change. Love that no two days are alike. There is no sitting around on this job.

Leaders lead by fear and bullying

ProsThere are none. Morale is the pits. Bosses are nasty. They march up and down aisles as if they are the Gestapo. This culture comes from the top.

ConsEverything. There is nothing redeeming about working here other than when you quit, every where else will be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat people with respect and dignity. You treat them like slaves and dogs

Could be a fun job if the company was ran correctly.

General Manager (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsFast paced with constant seasonal changes .Never a dull moment with the constant changes in management and best practices.

ConsThe training program leaves a lot to be desired. New managers are put in positions with no training.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about promoting from within? They are constantly hiring Dm's from other companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Party City is a penny pinching business.

Team Lead (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment to work in and they teach you a lot.

ConsThey will drive you to the grave, and they wont even pay you well enough for it. They care more about making money from the costumer then they care for them or even their workers. The more you hope for it to change, it just keeps getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking your staff for granted or or sooner or later they will notice and they will ruin you...

Easy job but can get boring.

Halloween Sales Associate (Former Employee) Orion, MI

ProsThe managers are very accommodating in making up the schedules. The co workers were nice people. The atmosphere was interesting with all of the Halloween supplies.

ConsThe minimum wage was pretty disappointing. During a week day it can get pretty boring waiting for customers and sorting items over and over again.

Lots of hard work, great people, low interest from corporate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI started as a Halloween Seasonal worker and managed to keep the job. Plenty of hours during the Halloween season and some really cool employees as well as managers. Hours are also flexible. This job has made me a lot more responsible and has greatly improved my work ethic. As demanding as the job may be, I highly enjoy working there.

ConsManagement often has ridiculous expectations and sometimes sets unrealistic deadlines for tasks. The managers are also slightly biased and give more leway to some employees. There is also little room for advancement in the company and pay is very low, even to its Team Leaders. Corporate should really listen to its associates as there is a lot that goes on that should not be allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake it down a notch. This is Party City. There should also be more GMs and DMs who have been in the front lines as an associate and know what it's like to be at the bottom. Corporate is clueless as to how the stores actually run.

Fun place to work

Front End Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe company is family friendly and seems to care for the responsibilities one has with family. Also, it is a fun to work in the party type of atmosphere.

ConsThere is not much training so it can make the new employee feel unsure of job responsibilities. Also, it is physically demanding. This is something that they do not make clear during interview process. There seems to be a lot of tension between the managers and cashiers. Often, it seems like the cashiers do not want to listen to managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training when have new employee

Great place to obtain plenty of job experience.

Employee of Online Store (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat coworkers, casual dress, fun office to work in.

ConsNo career structure presented to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease communicate with employees and set up department and company career structure. Employees are not aware of the different positions that exist in the company and how to obtain them. No internal postings.

Great work environment with excellent pay.

Halloween Sales Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsThe coworkers were awesome and I got a decent amount of hours. Also, the merchandise itself was entertaining to sell, working with customers was one of the best parts.

ConsThe customers themselves during the Halloween season are hectic and rude. The job is extremely demanding and customer service plays a huge role.

i liked working there.i was a seasonal only employee during Halloween of 2013.

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsEveryone was nice and helpful to me as a newbie. During the holiday it was always busy. The closer to halloween the busier it got. i liked that.

ConsThey kept me calling in for two weeks with no hours just to end me on some contractual date i was never informed of. they could have said no we're not keeping you, goodbye.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!