Party City

www.partycity.com

Party City Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable(in 16 reviews)

• Only the 30% discount is a "pro"(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor)(in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing(in 19 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good job, bad career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Simi Valley, CA

ProsThe pay is above minimum and the customers you get coming through are primarily women looking to shop for parties, making sure that almost everybody who walks in there is in a good mood to begin with. The management at my store are all awesome and incredibly flexible with availability, hours, and getting days off.

ConsWorst. Music. Ever. It's all covers done by horrible imitators of the original songs. The only other complaint is that usually Party City hires outside of the company for management positions and doesn't usually hire up from within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. We know so much more about the ebb and flow and inner workings of the stores that I feel we are much better equipped with the knowledge to address issues that arise compared to those who are just coming into the company with no prior experience of working in a Party City store.

Excellent!!!

Halloween Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pico Rivera, CA

ProsGreat hours
    Friendly staff
    Fun environment
    Learning experience

ConsMinimum wage
    Only a seasonal job

Young company with ambitious goals.

General Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFast-paced retail perfect for those who enjoy no down time. Ownership model provides opportunities for those to take pride In their accomplishments.

ConsHalloween season provides several challenges that can be overwhelming for some and has been notorious for creating a high turn over ratio for the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has it's good and bad qualities

Executive Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLots of seasonal changes to give you variety in the work. Stays busy all the time. Overall it's a very easy job.

ConsDon't get much chance to get promoted. Very little if any development. Pay is below average. There is very little opportunity to manage anything outside of the Halloween season, mostly you are doing most of the work yourself ie. stocking, cashiering, zoning, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you wonder why you have no bench of people to fill open positions, take a look at the lack of development going on in the company. If you don't allocate resources to it, it won't happen.

Great People

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proswork with awesome people
    Discount
    Gaining the experience to plan parties

ConsA dislike of Balloons :D
    The pay
    Customers, that think they own you cause they're shopping there

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate hours to stores so that tasks could get finished at the time that corporate wants it done.
    Allow some independence on the store level, DM's should not try to micromanage

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!