Party City Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
509 reviews filtered by
Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies (in 26 reviews)

• There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old (in 22 reviews)

Good

I worked at Party City part-time

Pros

Gets you in the retail job environment so when you apply for a higher position you will have experience

Cons

Long hours
    Very busy to much cleaning not enough work had 35 teenagers working during Halloween

2. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good pay, and great atmosphere.

Cons

No cons, everything is perfect.

Advice to Management

Work hard and get rewarded.

Retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Happy Place To Work

Cons

Too many people working at the establishment to get hours

Cashier/Balloons/Stock/Recovery

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I worked at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun environment to work in. I really enjoyed what I did a lot of the time. I feel like I learned a lot from this job.

Cons

The pay and when Halloween time comes. They hire a lot of new people just for Halloween and sometimes they aren't the best people to train/work with.

Advice to Management

Fire the ones who do not do what they are supposed to instead of keeping them on the schedule and "hoping they'll get better".

More Cons Than Pros

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor

I have been working at Party City part-time

Pros

Party City does have a lot going for it. There's a fair employee discount--30%--which when applied to Party City's (mostly) reasonable prices, really can save you a lot of money. I've learned some of my most valuable retail lessons from working at Party City, especially during the Halloween season. Black Friday has *nothing* on Halloween at Party City. It has been good training and experience in retail, particularly since being promoted. Working at Party City has helped me feel more prepared and confident for going into better paying jobs in the future, and eventually getting a real career. Finally, I've met some of the best people in the world working at Party City. I have a few coworkers who go beyond just being a coworker and who I truly consider to be some of my best friends. But maybe that's just because misery loves company?

Cons

And, oh boy, does misery love company. Just speaking for myself, there is always too much work to be done and never enough time to do it. I am tasked with single-handedly answering the phone, greeting customers, ringing up our patrons, cleaning and organizing the front end, and sometimes even blowing up large amounts of balloons in a short amount of time. I don't think that I'm being paid adequately for the amount of work I do and the amount of effort I put in. Furthermore, there isn't a lot of room to grow within the company. Instead of promoting from within, I've noticed there is a tendency to hire for managerial positions from the outside. Working here you'll also realize how hypocritical and false management can be--that's one of those valuable retail lessons I've learned. Maybe it bothers me more because I tend to be idealistic, but it really does get my goat. Speaking in terms of my coworkers, it seems that the company tends to underpay its associates, including full time managers. Lastly, the number one con about working at Party City is probably the email quota we are required to reach as cashiers. We have to ask every customer--sometimes receiving copious amounts of verbal abuse and attitude--for their email address in order to reach the company standard of 50%. Suppose we have a bad day; most of our customers are in a hurry, on the phone, or simply do NOT want to consent to give their email, are we supposed to penalized for the customer's decision? I have also received numerous complaints from customers that they don't see being put on a mailing list as a customer service. This puts associates in a very awkward position.

Advice to Management

For a company that is so determined to offer exemplary customer service (or so they say), Party City should try actually listening to their customers. I believe it would be beneficial to have a suggestions hotline or something of that nature. I also think management should listen to their own associates as much as they should listen to their customers. Associates are on the front lines, so to speak. We see things that management might not. A company will run most smoothly when the associates are happy to be at work. Customers will see associates in a good mood and will feel good about shopping at a place where the associates are in a good mood.

7. fun, up beat

Current Employee - Party Host in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Party Host in Houston, TX

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

love eating the food love working with childreen

Cons

long bussy hours, crowed, to many people, unhappy customers because not enough seating area

Advice to Management

have more group meetings

8. Fun environment but stressful and advancement opportunities are hard to come by even after years invested in the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Party City (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, flexible schedules and easy tasks.

Cons

A lot of work and stress for a low-paying salary

Advice to Management

Better career opportunities and incentive for the workers to stay. Less promises, more action.

9. Seasonal Associate

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Party City (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, small store, employee discount, pretty easy, simple work, easy application, seasonal work is abundant

Cons

Had to stay late frequently to help close, short hours for seasonal staff, high stress near Halloween time, pay is on a pay card rather than direct deposit, music on the speakers will drive you insane near the end of your shift

Advice to Management

Please remember to give breaks to EVERY employee, even during busy hours, and please show more regard for seasonal employees even if we're only around for a month

10. Overall, it is very flexible. Love my managers, and co-workers

I have been working at Party City part-time

Pros

Easy work, flexible with hours.

Cons

Not enough hours for part- time workers in non- busy seasons.

11. Execute guidelines with a time matter

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time management, multi-tasking, growth with company, Schedule.

Cons

Not enough hours to execute changes.