Party City

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.2

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies (in 26 reviews)

• There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Hires on the spot Easy going, Easy work Especially for a People/Party person

Cons

Nothing really,... i'm very please

i'm sure they know

Going great so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Always busy, store layout is simple and easy to remember. Great if it's your first retail job

Cons

High expectations for completing jobs in a certain amount of time

Be understanding and patient.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Party City full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits for tenured employees.
    Promotion of lower level manager positions, team leaders, Assistant Managers are usually conducted from with in.

Cons

No longer looking for a manager who can think and do what is necessary to help a store make money. They would like a cookie cutter manager who only does what is asked. No room for regional or local changes.
    If you are looking for growth into the upper level of management, District level or above, Party City does a very poor job of promoting from with-in.

There was a time when managers could make decisions to merchandise cretin product that would turn and generate revenue however now District Managers are so afraid of doing something that was not directed that they do not allow for any change in the layout even if one can show it will generate sales.

Party City Part-Time Sales Associate Review

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL

I worked at Party City

Pros

I worked at Party City part time during college. It was a fun and easy job. They gave me the time I needed off for classes and tests. Also during Halloween time it is a lot of fun.

Cons

Min. wage job and you might not get as many hours as you want. It can get slow during certain times of the year.

Around Halloween time it's very busy.

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in you get to meet a lot of great new people and the customers that come in are sometimes nice sometimes rude

Cons

When the store is packed its gets really really hot and the ac you can't really feel and the pay is minimum wage that could be way better the amount of money that comes into the store.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Party City

Pros

Great work environment and great co workers.

Cons

Low pay and long hours.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It Is a Fun, innovative, creative, and spontaneous Job. There is always something to do, some one to assist. During the Summer and the warmer months of the year you are always busy and staying on your feet, your moving and working. Halloween is so much fun.

Cons

During the colder months we are slower in hours and are not as busy, so the days drag on. We may get a lot done in the store, due to the lack of actual customers.

Keep it up.

Party Store... need I say more?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Party City is such a great environment to be in with great customers and even better coworkers! Everyone is happy, and why not? It's a PARTY EVERYDAY!
    I have had the pleasure of working for Party City for almost 4 years. We work as a team. The upper management (GM's, DM's, RM's & even corporate) listen to any issues and then work with you to make Party City an even better place to work and shop.

Cons

It's retail... There will always be that one customer. At least with Party City, most of our customers are happy; they're celebrating some awesome life event that we get to be part of and hopefully make better.
    We have such great products and crews that we usually can turn that "one customer's" frown upside-down and change their day for the better.

I've had the amazing opportunity to visit our corporate office last year. Everyone was so welcoming and really listened. Many great changes were made based on the feedback we gave.
    So first, thank you.
    My suggestion would be to have a better communication flow between corporate departments and keep listening to your stores.

It's been changing a lot recently. It's calmer than other retailers I've worked for.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Watchung, NJ
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Watchung, NJ

I have been working at Party City

Pros

A little laid back, flexible hours

Cons

Management staff including DM's are constantly changing. The promise of promotion is always pushed back.

I don't have much advice but make up your mind. I don't mind change, but change here is so constant and the level of expectations are everywhere.

I was hired as a seasonal employee for Halloween in Sept, and was let go first week of Nov.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy hiring process (aside from the tedious Assessment Tests). Really fun work environment! Fair management. Full shifts available through October. Gets super busy, so the closer it gets to Halloween, the faster time goes by. Be prepared for late shifts, (up to midnight or 1am). Also, paychecks are provided in the form of a prepaid "Comdata" debit card. Automatically uploads on payday. And returning seasonal employees have first dibs on employment next year.

Cons

The pay rate for seasonal workers is minimum wage. The permanent employees working there aren't that nice to seasonal workers, as they know they are only temps, and therefore don't want to put forth the effort in any personal contact. Not a lot of room for growth in the company. Takes a long time to even be promoted to "Team Lead". The Comdata payroll company AND ATM's charge fees to withdrawal. However, the ATM's inside CVS are surcharge free.

Try and make sure your Team Leads are being helpful and friendly to the seasonal workers. It's discouraging when the staff and/or management isn't approachable.