Party City

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You will be paid minimum wage if you work in a store (in 23 reviews)

• low pay, very poor management, little chances of moving up in the company (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun work environment surrounded by unique customers and friendly staff

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job of a cashier is very easy. The duties include general cleaning, cash handling and customer service. The managers are easy going and helpful. They work right along side of the associates. They are willing to work with your schedule. Overall, a very casual and pleasant work environment.

Cons

The customers like to try to return costumes they have already worn and become very impatient when waiting for balloons to be inflated. "Off season" (anytime other than Halloween) there aren't many hours to go around. The pay is minimum wage to start and there isn't very much opportunity to advance.

It would be nice to offer more cross training like a morning stocking shift for a cashier that has open availability. I do love the company and wish that there was more work available. As a seasonal employee who has made the two cuts for a permanent spot, a heads up about the cuts being made would be appreciated. Instead, I was very anxious awaiting the decision of whether or not I was being kept. The way I found out I was kept was when the schedule was posted. For all others being let go, they had to keep checking back to see if their name was posted on the weekly schedule. It is quite inconvenient to have to call daily and wait for a manager that doesn't have the schedule to have you call back the next day. It would be nice to have a heads up to be able to plan your day.

Good temp job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    You're not unemployed
    Constructive criticism and encouragement from managers
    Would hire almost anyone
    Gain retail experience
    Friendly co-workers and fun work environment
    30% discount on products

Cons

Heavy Lifting
    Dirty and constantly feel like you need to wash your hands
    Deal with rude customers
    Sometimes it is really busy
    Have to push products that people don't want or you get in trouble
    Almost always being observed from afar

Party City better than most

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of planogram setting, customer service, and the staff is usually pretty good.

Cons

You can only get promoted if you will relocate and are willing to kiss up to the district manager.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in San Juan, PR

I worked at Party City part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was a REGULAR pay and the supervisors where very respectful. Employees could learn how to provide and develop costumer services skills.

Cons

There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old. My check never went over $250 every two weeks.

I think they should raise salaries and consider giving bonuses to those emplyyes who satisfied there cllients.

It was nice but not organized.Poor communications between managers.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were nice and friendly and coworkers helped each other out.

Cons

Unorganized with what to do exactly though really easy overall. Communication between everyone wasn't the greatest.

Customer service

Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Rochester, NY

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people and fun during the holidays

Cons

bad management and training, needs to focus on individuals instead of the big picture

consider cross training staff to other sections of the store

A Solid High School Job

Current Employee - Stocker in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Stocker in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working stock in one of their stores was a great high school experience. I enjoyed it highly. The longer you are there, the better you are treated.

Cons

You will be paid minimum wage if you work in a store. There are no traditional benefits. To get time off, you typically need to have someone cover for you..

Don't apply cookie cutter decisions to all of your stores. They are not all identical.

This place sucks.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stock Clerk in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stock Clerk in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro is that the shifts work around being in highschool.

Cons

Pay you minimum wage to run the entire store while the managers sit in the back.

Get off your butt and help your employees.

I have a lot of fun at Party City so far as a seasonal employee (for Halloween)

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Party City as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The hours are great. I also work at McDonald's and I've never seen 24 hours in a week but with Party City, I had 20 hours MY FIRST WEEK. At McDonald's, my first week was 9 hours.
    The customers that come in are also very friendly.

Cons

If you can't make it for a shift, they make you try to find someone to cover it & if you can't, it's like you're screwed. They don't have too much sympathy for people with kids. I do have two of my own and I have to tend to them at times so I'm not able to make a shift sometimes. It doesn't matter to them.
    Also, for the amount of hours I work, I should be able to have some type of benefits. The 30% discount doesn't cut it.
    I was working an 8 hour shift one night & I was doing the fitting room.. I had been standing my entire shift next to a chair so it was torture to my feet. I wanted to sit down but as soon as I did, my manager told me to get up. I didn't understand why I couldn't sit down whenever it was really slow but I found it to be so inconsiderate. I understand that I was told from day one I would be standing on my feet for long hours but come on, standing next to a chair while my feet are in pain is TORTURE.

It would be nice if they would not hire people seasonal if they plan on giving them long hours with the minimum wage and 30% off discount. They should just hire people part-time. I understand it's only busy for Party City during Halloween but still, it's just not right in my opinion.

Good people. Mean customers. Ok Management.

Current Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of the people I work with are fantastic and we all work together very well. Some of the customers are amazing and make working much easier. Decent pay. When it comes down to it, the job really isn't that bad until Halloween rolls around.

Cons

Some customers are disrespectful and expect the world. Working Halloween means staying until 1AM on school nights a lot. The managers do not care about your life outside of work and will schedule you whenever they feel like it. The work is a little tedious at times but isn't ever challenging. Halloween is worse than Black Friday.

Follow the laws when it comes to breaks. I shouldn't be working 6 hours straight without getting a break. Pay attention to the high school students you hire. If you don't care about how much work they have to do for school, don't hire so many students.

Party City Photos