Party City

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.2

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies (in 26 reviews)

• There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Party Store... need I say more?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Party City is such a great environment to be in with great customers and even better coworkers! Everyone is happy, and why not? It's a PARTY EVERYDAY!
    I have had the pleasure of working for Party City for almost 4 years. We work as a team. The upper management (GM's, DM's, RM's & even corporate) listen to any issues and then work with you to make Party City an even better place to work and shop.

Cons

It's retail... There will always be that one customer. At least with Party City, most of our customers are happy; they're celebrating some awesome life event that we get to be part of and hopefully make better.
    We have such great products and crews that we usually can turn that "one customer's" frown upside-down and change their day for the better.

I've had the amazing opportunity to visit our corporate office last year. Everyone was so welcoming and really listened. Many great changes were made based on the feedback we gave.
    So first, thank you.
    My suggestion would be to have a better communication flow between corporate departments and keep listening to your stores.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It Is a Fun, innovative, creative, and spontaneous Job. There is always something to do, some one to assist. During the Summer and the warmer months of the year you are always busy and staying on your feet, your moving and working. Halloween is so much fun.

Cons

During the colder months we are slower in hours and are not as busy, so the days drag on. We may get a lot done in the store, due to the lack of actual customers.

Keep it up.

Great company

Current Employee - A Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - A Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Great company, fast paced and fun. Company is growing.

Cons

buildings are small in some loacations, makes freight a challange

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great growth potential with many different locations and positions available. Flexibility with schedule. Fun environment. Employee discount of 30%. Great benefits coverage.

Cons

No real challenge differences compared to typical retail. Constantly changing and evolving seasonal merchandising offers a challenge for those not interested in merchandising.

It's a PARTY STORE. A fun place to work! The customers you interact with are shopping for a celebration. Great experience if you like helping customers create memorable occasions.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - General Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Advancement opportunities available, home/work life balance, paid holidays, excellent benefits and compensation packages, very fun atmosphere, ideas are listened too and valued

Cons

Still a retail schedule, however Thanksgiving and Christmas can be taken off.

Continue looking for new programs and ideas. We're headed in the right direction as a comoany.

General Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, Fun and friendly personnel on all levels, great leadership

Cons

Long shifts throughout Halloween but it's better than Christmas!

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Great leadership support and work-life balance.

Cons

Management required to work freight and set Plano's.

Need a better solution for discontinued or out of season merchandise other then packing it away for another day.

Great Company!

Current Employee - General Manager in South Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - General Manager in South Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work in and the customers are celebrating something so it's a pleasure to help them. Great people to work with and support is there for you. Company HR is investing in the development of existing and new people to make us an even better company. Company IT is investing in technology at store level to improve operations and execution. Benefits are good. You actually get to take your Holidays and Vacation unlike some Retailers.

Cons

It is what you make it, like any Retail job. The Pros far outweigh any cons.
    It's a hands on job so be prepared to lead by example and work alongside your Team.

Only advice I have is to increase Hourly rates for the TL position so we can have better retention in a key carrier position.

Could be better organization

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Great pay always eight hours great managers and coworkers franchise so they head guy Is always there to check in and listen to things that are going on in the work place

Cons

After the new year hours get cut the Hire a bunch of ghetto people during holloween and you nearly miss lunch every shift so unorganized

Be nicer and more together

It is so great to be able to say "What are you celebrating?!" to each customer every day!

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Party City

Pros

We put a lot of time in merchandise presentation to make sure the stores are full, clean and consistent.
    The leadership values work-life balance and we have stores closed or with shortened hours on major holidays unlike other retailers.

Cons

Sometimes you can get scared by popping balloons!