Party City Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible Hours and great schedule (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You will be paid minimum wage if you work in a store (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay and insurance is average (in 22 reviews)

There is a reason that they are always hiring.

Former Employee - Anomomous in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anomomous in Detroit, MI

Pros

Working with customers to make their kids' parties perfect.

Cons

Forget about having a personal life. You are expected to work "fast" not "smart". Changes to the seasonal aisle happen almost bi weekly. Upper management would rather you spend two hours every day to put out one or two items on a peg (so there are no holes) than spend an entire day at the beginning to get everything out from the start. Employee and management turnover is very high. Why would you want to stay when you're treated like you're lower than dirt?

Advice to Management

Give us enough product. Why would you send 200 Spiderman costumes and only send 20 pair of Spiderman gloves? How is this right for the customer? You are not the ones here in the store when the kids are crying because they can't have the entire costume!!!!! Not to mention dangling bonuses or contests in our face but not providing us the merchandise to support us. How can we sell what we don't have?

Not the Best Job in Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Jordan, UT

Pros

The dress code is nice and professional for what the job is. It's not a suit and tie, but you get to wear a black polo shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes. They want you to look nice. There are no degrading aprons or uniforms as with some other retaillers. The job is very low pressure. There's a 30% discount on all the merchandise.

Cons

My biggest con was the lack of respect from management to employees. I was given a heavier work load and more assignments than some of the other employees. As a dedicated employee I was only taken advantage of. They never let me know when I did a good job, but they were certain to let me know if I did not. The manager was very rude and abrasive to all the employees. As a previous review stated Party City does not seem to think that their sales associates are a valuable asset to their company. The pay is very low, minimum wage. The store generates mass hysteria during Halloween and other special events.

Advice to Management

There are many ways that different people run their companies. Some companies believe that the best way to do it is to "act like a jerk" and "put the employees in their place." The Sales Associates are one of the most important aspects of the stores success as they perform the most customer interaction and keep the store maintained. If employees feel valued and respected the employee morale and overall success of the store will improve. A happy worker is a good worker. Companies with happier workers will more than likely reach their full potential.

Crap job.

Former Employee - Associate in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Fenton, MO

Pros

You get discounts on party supplies.

Cons

People would walk in a order 200 balloons on the spot, then get mad that it takes more than 5 minutes to blow up balloons. The management should tell people to order one day in advance for large orders. The adults will throw dirty candy rappers at you (from their kids) for you to ring up. The candy has to be rung up by candy type though a code book. It takes forever and people have no patience anyway. The managers are always in the back room. They only come out to do price adjustments. On my 3rd day of working, a Sunday, I was cussed at by a manager for not memorizing all the balloon codes. It was like being in hell surrounded by pretty sparkly balloons.

Advice to Management

I have no advise for managing hell.

I would rather die, than work here.

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Can take Vacation at Xmas 2 weeks a year I have more employees than I know what to do with

Cons

Change min of 216' every month or so. can't take vacation around any holiday but xmas expect you to do everything with no payroll (70 hour work week for mgrs.) work with only 2 employees per shift did I mention no payroll Sr. management constantly tells you that you're not good enough not allowed to hold any employees accountable and forget trying to get rid of the bad ones or even cut their hours as payroll must be allocated 'fairly'. set schedule sun off monday 6am tuesday close wed open (you don't need sleep!) thurs off friday close and saturday open (sleep? before your busiest day? NEVER!) 6 dat workweeks from mid sept to mid nov. *these are the required ones, but you will work 6 days constantly* Start setting Halloween in JUNE! (Hope you love it! cuz you get to see and hear about it everyday!) DID I MENTION FREIGHT! You're gonna do it, cuz no one else is there, and no one really cares. Off site storage

Advice to Management

Why don't you just take a firing squad to your management team. It would be much more humane than killing us this slowly.

How are they still in business?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Employees (Assistants and down) Merchandise selection

Cons

Management from GMs and up. Lack of Communication Overworked/Underpaid Unobtainable work goals Lack of payroll Moving things over and over and over again in seasonal Don't care about customer service at the register area They look the other way when a long time manager breaks a major policy!

Advice to Management

When upper Management (DMs and up) comes in the store for a visit, talk to the employees besides the Manager. The store would not succeed without the rest of the staff. You are not better than them!

over worked, under paid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great staff. Fun when you worked with the right people

Cons

long hours 60 to 80 hrs a week for managers NO pay, made more the year before in what was a better position ( Yeah what ever ) NO time for your family, personal life for get it NO PAYROLL!!!!! loads of work to be done but with no payroll to do it upper managers never new what was going on. you had 4 or more people telling you what to do but it was something different for each one. customer service yeah ok, I would not like someone in my face every few feet pushing a cart or basket at me. Let the people shop!!!

Advice to Management

communicate with each other and find out what is truly going on. PAY YOUR PEOPLE more they would prob. care for their jobs more Dont worry about the money for your pockets at the end of the year give payroll during seasonal change overs so it can be done quicker care for your ASSOCIATES if it wasnt for their hard work and the customers you wouldnt be around!!!

Dead End

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay is okay. That's about it.

Cons

I work for a franchise. Party City corporate is probably operated much better than this franchise. Management has no idea what they're doing and can never make up their minds. Poor communication between all levels of management. If you want a dead-end job and live in the Charlotte area...come to Party City.

Advice to Management

Franchise management - read a business book.....any book.....i bet it will teach you something Corporate management - take a look into this franchise, it's really hurting your name.

My Way or The Highway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

Pros

General fun woking environment with a lot of young, dynamic people. Executive level Presidents & CEO are exceptional at what they do and how they conduct business.

Cons

Executives are so good that they rarely consider any other point of view and give little or no autonomy to mid-level executives (VP's & Directors) to make decisions on their own. Micro-managing is an understatement here, so if you have a voice about an issue, keep it to yourself if you want to keep your job.

Wouldn't recomend to my enemy.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mill Creek, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mill Creek, WA

Pros

thirty per cent employee discount

Cons

Cranky coworkers. I was hired for halloween as a cashier, I had 2 years experience, and they never register trained me. Just had me roam the Halloween aisles.

Advice to Management

Try to hire people wwho are going to enjoy their jobs, because all of the people that I met in the two months I worked there, seemed to hate their jobs.

Employees are easily replaceable and managers show no respect for the associates that do all of the work

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's a bs job. Basically you blow up balloons and ask customers for phone numbers, don't have to know rocket science to work here.

Cons

Managers have no respect for the employees I was often asked to stay lake working a 13 hour shift with no break, scheduled during my classes and management works in a very turn around way. Cashiers are set up for failure considering how faulty the credit card machines are. EVERYONE is easily replaceable and you're never there for long, that's why they are always hiring.

Advice to Management

Coming from a former employee some of the managers were great and did their jobs well, but others were downright rude, it was their way or you're fired. they often threatened to 'write people up' for stupid things like their shirt being untucked or talking too much. It never helps to threaten people, come on how old are we now?

RSS Feed </> Embed