Party City Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE JOB

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Davie, FL

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

there were no pros for this place. it was hell.

Cons

WORKING WITH ONLY 1 OTHER PERSON. MAIN MANAGER DIDN'T HELP MUCH.

Terrible first job

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on balloons, didn't have to work too late, got free candy. I can now wrap gifts pretty well.

Cons

I have never had a more frustrating management experience. Nothing was consistent and I never knew what my supervisor expected of me

Better training for managers would be good. I could tell they were all jaded and wanted to get out of there.

Mis treated employee

Current Employee - Personalization Studio  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Personalization Studio in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I Was happy with my set schedule however that has been taken away from me. Full time benefits Are still effective

Cons

I have worked hard for this company for 6+years and have received nothing but lousy raises.It is hard to find a full time job so I've put up with it because of my set schedule, and medical benefits.

However, I'm now being told that my department does not make enough profit for the company, therefore, they are promoting me to a team lead position but without a raise. It's not my fault they are not making a profit, however, I'm the one being punished. My set hours are being taking away as well as more responsibility. I'm now responsible for my department as well as the managements duties.

I've never been more insulted and disrespected in my life. I refuse to be treated this way by a multimillion dollar company without a fight.

I am not being paid to do management tasks and I plan to seek legal advice.This is not acceptable nor a way to treat a dedicated employee of 6 years.

Respect your employees and lead by example.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used & Abused: The story of a Party City Franchise

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nothing really, aside from having a job. If you like to be over worked. under paid, no raises, no holidays, and a District Manager who would promote his immature son to General Manager and then blindly trust him while not even hearing what other employees have to say ..I guess those are pros if they sound good to you!

Cons

Innovation is not tolerated. Trying to increase sales is frowned upon. If you make a change that increases sales by a lot, you better make sure it doesn't make more work for the District Manager, or make him look bad. I could go on for days.

You need to be fired. No joke. You made your Son GM, you made your best friend GM, your fear of computers and technology is crippling. Your hatred for innovation is beyond insane. And the fact that you, the District Manager don't have a High School Degree, and your son the General Manager also doesnt have a High School degree, is not only laughable, its sad.

Party city worst retail management job ever.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Party City full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing to like about them...

Cons

DM was a bully who liked to rule with fear and intimidation. When I went to human resources about him the regional hr person was acting like it was my fault.I contacted the employee hot line spoke to someone and no return calls at all.even sent the director of human resources an email and never got a response.After I finally quite do to work place Harassment and hostile work place the regional human resources person calls me and ask what would I like to see happen..This went in for four months...don't work for a company like them .find a company who will care.

Please take these reviews into consideration as they are not all sour grapes..Also treat the store teams like you care about them

Not a Party City

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager

I worked at Party City full-time

Pros

The 30% employee discount. The interaction with customers and helping them plan their party. Halloween brings out some really fun and lively customers.

Cons

Instead of hiring staff to work the truck and maintain the back stock and overall store, they use management. Rule #1 in management is that you cannot manage a process you are a part of. This keeps the managers unable to truly run the store. The two hours allotted to work in your zone is not near enough time.

Rule by fear is only effective in the short run. Training needs to have more of a role.

party city sucks

Current Employee - Stocker  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job when the store not busy

Cons

Being worked like a slave for 7.25 and for only 28 hours a week.

Terrible Management with a terrible franchise in Charlotte NC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to work around your schedule

Cons

I do the Management job for not even $9, clientele are all idiots, Its all based on if you are liked.

Even Though i'm one of the "liked" employees its not fair how you treat your people. Overworking for little pay, and shoving any issue aside. Racism runs rampant in this company and others just turn a blind eye to it.

Get in and get out as fast as you can!

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  North Babylon, NY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in North Babylon, NY

I worked at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free candy, no drug testing for hourly associates, good store discounts. Unless it's Halloween, you probably won't have a lot of work to do.

Cons

Horrible hours, low starting pay, low raises, difficult environment to succeed and advance in. If you're a cashier, expect to be running back and forth between the balloon counter and your register. I worked there for a year, and got a whopping ten cent raise to 7.60 an hour.

Happy employees are well paid employees. I know the minimum wage is still low in many states, but you don't have to remind us!

Don't believe what they tell you

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Halloween is a fun time. Good discount.

Cons

Won't do anything to change a bad situation even though they know it's messed up. Horrible hours. Managers never get 2 days off in a row, as per company policy. Lie to employees to get them to stay. Upper management does nothing to get rid of the dead beat store managers, they yell and scream but no real repercussions and they all know it. Behavior never changes.

Need to manage more professionally. It shouldn't matter what your mood is, it should be a standard. Get better standards put into place. Hold people accountable , if a manager isn't doing their job then they should be dealt with.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!