Party City Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • It is retail, and the pay is basically minimum wage with no benefits (in 22 reviews)

• low pay, very poor management, little chances of moving up in the company (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience was horrible because they manger had no feeling about anything and only cared about himself.

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was easy and relax nothing major, everyone was though to work together and get along

Cons

Manger didn't care that i had to call out of work because my grandfather had just died and had to head out of town for the funeral.

Trying to see things from the employee view instead of wiring about themselves.

Beware - Do Not Work At the Sterling, VA store

Current Employee - They Never Told Me! in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - They Never Told Me! in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun co-workers and I really enjoy the customer interaction

Cons

Horrible management from the GM down. Spare yourself the agony and work somewhere else where you will be appreciated. Don't even think about raising any issues because you'll be labeled a troublemaker. They have their own little click there and everyone else is an outsider. People skills training for these managers is desperately needed. Also, be ready to work 7+ hour shifts with just one 15 minute break.

Get some training and treat your employees like human beings.

Beware of Party City, Moreno Valley, CA

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers are pleasant. The store has a good variety of party supplies for almost any occasion throughout the year. Quality is not meant to last, more for one time use.

Cons

Managers and supervisors don't know how to treat people. I don't think any of them had more than a high school diploma. Once the manager had us all count individual pieces of bulk candy. In three months that I worked there, I had four separate customers approach me and whisper how unprofessional the manager was in his dealings with staff. I also witnessed the resignation of a supervisor and 3 good workers.

Get some training, learn how to smile, and be pleasant and gracious to your fellow human beings. Note: This was a franchise, at least at the time I worked.

Unless you truly hate yourself, don't work here.

Current Employee - Halloween Expert in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Halloween Expert in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Party City as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you're a temporary associate (i.e: Halloween), it comes to an end at some point, and you've got that to look forward to.

Cons

Management does an awful job at communicating, and things change constantly without warning. The pay is too low for the expectations for temps. Also, "halloween experts" are encouraged to essentially hound customers until they buy something. Management sets goals for the hour (ex: $1200 in sales within the hour) and if said goals are not met, associates are blamed. I've overheard my managers talk poorly of employees, customers, and other managers in front of everyone and at loud volumes. Pretty rude if you ask me. The signs advertising employment are not true. Pay sucks, not a fun working environment, not competitive.
    Warning to anyone considering a Halloween position: at some point, you'll be forced to stand in the cold in a costume holding a sign on the side of the road. It is humiliating and you will not be told about this part of the job upon being hired. Don't do it, just run far, far away.
    After only a few weeks I was ready to quit. My coworkers and I shared the same hatred for our main manager. He was sexist in the worst ways (quite pervy and rude), picks favorites, and practically ignores anything you put on your availability sheet.

Fix everything about your employment policies.

No party

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good staff that worked under me. Customer base was pleasant to deal with.Always something that needed to be done every minute

Cons

Franchise owners treat you like a dog..... Expect you to overwork yourself as they grab a chair and sit and observe the staff and criticize the whole time.

This company needs Jesus

Current Employee - Store Associate in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than an year)

Pros

very relaxed, they will work around your schedule! very hard to get fired

Cons

little to no training, very unorganized, very little promotions. no incentives to do better.

its okay to promote people. Actually train and coach the people you hire!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, the only cool thing about working here is that you get to help people prepare for Halloween. There is nothing fun about working here.

Cons

It gets really crowded during October and the manager WILL play favorites.

You guys need to make your employees feel special. Employees here end up feeling like volunteers instead of fully employed employees.

Not worth wasting your gas on

I have been working at Party City

Pros

There are no pros for this job. Seasonal workers deserve more then they are given.

Cons

Seasonal workers deserve so much more. They are underpaid for a lot of work and sometimes checks are not even $100 dollars. I think their advertising for "great pay" and "flexible scheduling" should not be printed on their banner because it's not true at all. Seasonal works are paid minimum wage

Provide seasonal workers with better benefits!

HORRIBLE JOB

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Davie, FL

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

there were no pros for this place. it was hell.

Cons

WORKING WITH ONLY 1 OTHER PERSON. MAIN MANAGER DIDN'T HELP MUCH.

Terrible first job

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on balloons, didn't have to work too late, got free candy. I can now wrap gifts pretty well.

Cons

I have never had a more frustrating management experience. Nothing was consistent and I never knew what my supervisor expected of me

Better training for managers would be good. I could tell they were all jaded and wanted to get out of there.

Party City Photos