Party City

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies (in 26 reviews)

• There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Average Experience.

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers solid discount and quality products.

Cons

More structured training program with a better career development process.

improve the operational structure of the field organization.

Great, dynamic retail environment where you can make a difference.

Current Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Party City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting, dynamic, licensed product lines. Customers come in looking to celebrate, which makes it a great retail environment. Donations to charity also help make you feel like you are making a difference in people's lives.

Cons

No negative comments on this employer.

By far my favorite company I have worked for

Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Party City

Pros

I love every single staff member. Customers are great. Rate of pay is $8.00 an hour. Everyone makes it a fun place to work! Definitely the best job I have ever had, definitely recommend if you get offered a position (take it!!). I actually look forward to going in to work.

Cons

Hours are low. No other cons about this job

No ethics allowed

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are helping people plan parties, can be a lot of fun. Never a dull moment.

Cons

Payroll allotments are a joke, no formula. Management turnover is ridiculous. Management Bonuses are often taken away with no notice or reason why. Managers have no control over P&L's but are responsible for them. EVERY head position in the company is an outside hire, very scary given the company has been around since the 80's. The company has gotten much bigger than the Mom and Pop infrastructure. Very hard to get solutions or even answers.

Listen to the managers instead of firing and constantly replacing them. Spend some money improving systems and process and you may find managers can be great when given the necessary tools.

Friends

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Party City part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, great co workers, fun environment, lots of candy. A very easy job for a high school or college student. Very flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Pay is pretty bad. I worked for party city for 3 years got one promotion with small pay increase. the actual works is boring. Hours are based on store sales. You are forced to ask for emails and phone numbers and if you don't reach a certain percentage your hours are cut. Also you will blow up balloons all day that are very loud and hurt your ears

Ease up on the email quota.

Great business model and its all about the Party!

I have been working at Party City

Pros

* The busy season is Halloween and not Christmas so you can enjoy Christmas
    * Benefits are comparable to other companies
    *People that shop our stores are happy because they are having a party and not coming in sick to get perscriptions or having to buy a Christmas present that they are not sure will be in stock
    *The company doesn't sit around and wait for things to happen but continuously tries test programs and new ideas to drive better customer store experiences and flow to store
    *The selection and depth of product is top notch and better than all retailers in the party business

Cons

*Systems need updated but if you can plan manually and drive execution you can overcome
    *There is no omnichannel program. Only dot com and no buy online pick up in store but if customers come to the store and dot com has it the customer can order from the kiosk in the store and shipping is wavied

Quality of life for a General Manager. Best retail store I have worked for throughout my career.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team effort no matter what your title is! Great support from upper management. Great schedule to work as a general manager. Nothing like having Sundays off and a little slowing during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Halloween is awesome!

Cons

Training can be challenging but if you take it in your own hands, you'll have no problem. Ask lots of questions! Easy to catch on expecially with their Party School program!

Would like to see a monthly newsletter in the future.

Party City Seasonal Employee

Former Employee - Team Associate in Calumet City, IL
    Former Employee - Team Associate in Calumet City, IL

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    Decent pay
    Friendly co workers

Cons

Extremely busy around Halloween
    Not enough hours for seasonal employees

It is a fun place to work, just take time to know the store.
    You will be standing the entire time so get used to that.

Mostly fun, but just not enough hours in the day.

I have been working at Party City full-time (less than an year)

Pros

FT Benefits, overtime if you want it, fun products and environment, mostly great customers, generally nice co-workers.

Cons

Overtime even if you don't want it.
    Scheduling in general- half of scheduled employees at this "high-loss" location come in hours before the store opens, so, not enough people staffed during peak days/hours. Leading into...
    Understaffed- not just in numbers, but quality as well. For many associates it is there first job, which is great for them and the bottom line, but a hassle because they don't stay long due to...
    Low pay- in general for the area.
    Also- For the amount of tasks expected in a single day for anyone from Associate to Assistant Manager is unreasonable with the staffing available.

It's just the usual cycle of under valuing the people who actually do the things that make a company money that most retail corps. fall into.

Pay more attention to scheduling, don't let the "outside of store" management fool you into thinking we are doing a bad job so that they don't have to give us competitive wages. There are other jobs in the sea. The more people you lose, the more good people you are going to lose.

The best retail environment I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Party City

Pros

In retail, most people are used to working crazy hours during the holiday season. Not here. At Party City I can actually enjoy time with my family at the end of the year! Fast paced, exciting environment that is growing rapidly all across the country.

Cons

No cons here! Great retail environment, great products, great employees!