Party City Reviews

480 reviews filtered by

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved all the products plus 30% off discount . Convenient everything you need for a party under one roof. Loved my co-workers, many have been there many years. Very fast paced but this is where I thrived in. Merchandise standards are very high and store is very clean. You definitely are not a paper manager, you get a work out. Regular customers. Most people are pleasant coming to get merchandise for a party. Halloween!!

Cons

Franchise are ran very different from corporate stores which confuse customers.
    Management at anytime are forced to travel, sometimes multiple times a week for days.
    Work load is so much that a 45 hour week is unheard of for salary managers. Most of my weeks were at least 60 up to 75 I was very close to all managers in district with all similar work weeks..Payroll is so bad, you open and close with two people, anyone calls off , salary manager works. Never enough time or payroll to get the weekly planner done. Little to no help from district managers or above.

Be careful what you wish for, the corporate world has no idea how to run an actual store. My last two boss' didn't even know how to ring a register!!

2. Relaxed work environment, shows in pay.

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of employee perks, relaxed work environment, lots of vacation/sick time, great discount.

Cons

Pay is low across the board, no solid direction within office.

Communication needs to improve throughout the chain.

No staff

I have been working at Party City

Pros

fast paced, presentation focused, and clean

Cons

Literally almost NO staff. Basically a few managers do everything, with a few random hours for cashiers. OCCASSIONALLY.

You cannot provide great customer service with no staff to help on the salesfloor. The only employees are usually management who are always busy with the constant merchandising changes. Sales would increase if stores had staff to actually help people which would raise the average basket. Resulting in more income and thereby creating more hours for more staff. Near impossible to meet standards with the limited staff, and it's getting worse.

PC Not a Total Party

I have been working at Party City full-time

Pros

Holiday time off when not permitted at other retailers.

Cons

compensation does not reflect the amount of work required. Promotions based on personal relationships not qualifications.

6. Okay

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate

I worked at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very fun, get to dress up in costumes, discount, easy to request off

Cons

No benefits, very little hours

Fun, sometimes stressful job that anyone can do

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stocker in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stocker in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, you can take out almost any day you want as long as you tell management ahead of time. Fun environment if you like kids, toys, and costumes. Around Halloween employees get to dress up and wear costumes to work. Friendly, out-going coworkers that make getting through a shift fun and friendly customers. Relatively easy tasks.

Cons

Low pay. All part-time employees got paid minimum wage and worked no more than around 16 hours per week. Nearly impossible to advance and there are no pay raises. Filling large balloon orders that take a long time makes your fingers REALLY sore and your skin will peel. During the week, the store is empty and slow so shifts seem longer and more boring. During the weekends, the store is busy but they only have 1 main cashier. If you are main cashier you have to deal with the line of customers building up, inflate balloons for waiting customers and answer the telephone. If your backup is already on cash register, and the other employee that is assigned to the floor is busy with something, you're stuck with tons of customers to help all alone. The worst part for me was managers playing favorites. They sit in the backroom watching youtube videos and talking on the phone, but watch the security cameras and if they see an associate standing at the cash register doing nothing they get mad at the associate. Even if there aren't any customers or any cleaning to be done. They will tell you to "find something to do" "pretend to move things around" but also tell you not to leave the register if you are main cashier. Yet other associates could stand around and talk with the managers and not get in trouble for it. Some managers are quick to point out the issues with associates, but they waste time and fool around when they could be doing more productive things as well.

don't gossip with your employees, don't play favorites, don't embarass your employees by yelling at them in front of customers instead of helping them, don't be a hypocrite and do things that you tell your employees not to do

8. Challenging seasonal transitions

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City

Pros

fun fast paced enviroment customers are coming in for most of the time a fun event

Cons

hard to transition from season to season

give some positive feedback to store teams

9. Not enough hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helping customers find what they need.

Cons

Mayhem at Halloween, kids running around with fake swords, knives. Not enough hours. Lame music that is repetitive and boring. Do not expect a break room. It was in the warehouse and consisted of a TV tray, two chairs, a microwave and small fridge. No vending machines, and hard to get to lockers through piles of boxes to locker without safety issues.

Show some respect for your employees instead of being cheapskates. I'm sure you have a better break room those in the home office. It is disrespectful of you to relegate employees to a corner with a TV tray as a table, a small fridge and microwave. Also a 15 minute break would not be too much time to eat your lunch instead of rushing to gobble it down in 10 minutes. You try working and eating that way.

horrible company to work for with no humanity

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I don't ever have to go back

Cons

I was misled treated horribly and still tried to stick it out

don't talk to your employees in a demeaning fashion and especially do not single one person out because that does border on harassment

11. Nice first job

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management and team leads are pretty good. The general manager, Bryce, is a great guy, the assistant manager, Diane, can be harsh sometimes, but she is a good worker. The three team leads are fairly good employees as well. I started working at Party City as a Halloween temp, but kept my job afterward due to my good work ethic. The duties as a sales associate are extremely easy. They range anywhere from recovery (making the items on the planograms neat), to unpacking boxes of materials and putting them on the shelves, to doing planograms, stocking candy, blowing up balloons, taking phone calls, or ringing a customer up on the register. It's very easy work, though it can get stressful at times.

Cons

Some of the things I have noticed that don't seem to change (I've been employed for just over four months) is the terrible customers that come into this place, which isn't at the fault of Party City. It's just that the everyday consumer is horrible and they are usually extremely ignorant and expect the world out of the young employees.

Another thing that is very unfortunate is the hours you get. Party City is a company that makes $18 billion a year, so they are going to try to give the least amount of hours possible to their employees by cutting corners. My hours per week are typically 10-15, usually in the middle at 13.5. The only way to make more money is to hope a coworker needs a shift covered.

The company has a strict Phone-and-Email policy. Party City expects each employee to obtain emails from at least 30% of the customers that each employee rings up in their time at the register for each shift, as well as phone numbers. You are punished and written up if you do not meet the company standards, and three write-ups result in you losing your job. In my four months here, I've done my best possible and have gotten my 30% almost every time I'm on register and have yet to be written up. But it just isn't very fun to have to spend time asking every single customer for their phone number and email and also dealing with sassy comments from customers explaining that they get "too many emails" or "don't want spam phone calls", even though I can assure you that Party City has no interest in any way, shape, or form to call you OR sell your number as my own number and email as well as two close friends, my own mom and sister are all also in the system and do not receive harassing calls (though the coupons are fairly scarce as well). You also can be written up for being forced to void transactions, which is at the customers consent! Yes! You read that right: employees are punished for having to remove items from the POS system if a customer decides last minute that they would not like the item. Ridiculous.

You get a raise every year, usually of about ten cents apparently.

The last bad thing about Party City is the employee benefits. They do NOT want you to get vacation time! Period. They do not want you to mess up the schedule, and offer "Request Off" slips, which take about two-three minutes to fill out, and then the management promptly throws them away, so it's just no use. You WILL get written up for not showing up for your shift and calling off after a certain amount of times. But they are good at working your schedule around your life.

So to sum it up:
    -Bad customers
    -Poor hours (all retail jobs offer fairly poor hours)
    -Asking customers for phone numbers and emails and being punished if you don't receive a certain amount
    -Crappy yearly "raise"
    -No vacation time

Keep up the good work. They are all very friendly (as friendly as they can be for being in contact with the horrendous customers they deal with for hours on end).