Party City Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • It is retail, and the pay is basically minimum wage with no benefits (in 22 reviews)

• low pay, very poor management, little chances of moving up in the company (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Party City (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here for the flexible schedule and fun people to work with as well as helping people find all there party or halloween needs.

Cons

I didn't find a quick opportunity to work my way up in the company.

Employee Newsletter may make employees feel more valued. To include job advancement opportunities within the company.

Experience was horrible because they manger had no feeling about anything and only cared about himself.

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was easy and relax nothing major, everyone was though to work together and get along

Cons

Manger didn't care that i had to call out of work because my grandfather had just died and had to head out of town for the funeral.

Trying to see things from the employee view instead of wiring about themselves.

Beware - Do Not Work At the Sterling, VA store

Current Employee - They Never Told Me! in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - They Never Told Me! in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun co-workers and I really enjoy the customer interaction

Cons

Horrible management from the GM down. Spare yourself the agony and work somewhere else where you will be appreciated. Don't even think about raising any issues because you'll be labeled a troublemaker. They have their own little click there and everyone else is an outsider. People skills training for these managers is desperately needed. Also, be ready to work 7+ hour shifts with just one 15 minute break.

Get some training and treat your employees like human beings.

Beware of Party City, Moreno Valley, CA

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers are pleasant. The store has a good variety of party supplies for almost any occasion throughout the year. Quality is not meant to last, more for one time use.

Cons

Managers and supervisors don't know how to treat people. I don't think any of them had more than a high school diploma. Once the manager had us all count individual pieces of bulk candy. In three months that I worked there, I had four separate customers approach me and whisper how unprofessional the manager was in his dealings with staff. I also witnessed the resignation of a supervisor and 3 good workers.

Get some training, learn how to smile, and be pleasant and gracious to your fellow human beings. Note: This was a franchise, at least at the time I worked.

Unless you truly hate yourself, don't work here.

Current Employee - Halloween Expert in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Halloween Expert in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Party City as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you're a temporary associate (i.e: Halloween), it comes to an end at some point, and you've got that to look forward to.

Cons

Management does an awful job at communicating, and things change constantly without warning. The pay is too low for the expectations for temps. Also, "halloween experts" are encouraged to essentially hound customers until they buy something. Management sets goals for the hour (ex: $1200 in sales within the hour) and if said goals are not met, associates are blamed. I've overheard my managers talk poorly of employees, customers, and other managers in front of everyone and at loud volumes. Pretty rude if you ask me. The signs advertising employment are not true. Pay sucks, not a fun working environment, not competitive.
    Warning to anyone considering a Halloween position: at some point, you'll be forced to stand in the cold in a costume holding a sign on the side of the road. It is humiliating and you will not be told about this part of the job upon being hired. Don't do it, just run far, far away.
    After only a few weeks I was ready to quit. My coworkers and I shared the same hatred for our main manager. He was sexist in the worst ways (quite pervy and rude), picks favorites, and practically ignores anything you put on your availability sheet.

Fix everything about your employment policies.

No party

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Party City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good staff that worked under me. Customer base was pleasant to deal with.Always something that needed to be done every minute

Cons

Franchise owners treat you like a dog..... Expect you to overwork yourself as they grab a chair and sit and observe the staff and criticize the whole time.

You've Been Warned!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is fair (salaried) for General Manager but your value will be severely diminished when your directed and required to work 6- 7 days a week. Bonus potential is good. Halloween is their Christmas so your actually able to take time off during the holiday season to enjoy your family (which is unheard of at the store level in retail). 5 paid personal days and paid holidays including 2 additional floating holiday days. Benefits package is good. 30% employee discount. Other than during Halloween, store hours are good. Close at 8:30 and 9pm thru Monday thru Saturday, 6pm on Sundays. General Managers don't work Sundays except during Halloween or unless directed too. You will meet some great hard working people. Helping customers plan their parties. Seeing the excitement in the childrens eyes when they come in and get their stuff for Halloween and their birthday parties.

Cons

Upper Management (Field and corporate level) manage thru fear. It's always criticism and what your doing wrong. Most managers in the stores are fearful of losing their job. There is no structured training program for managers. No opportunity for advancement above the GM level. Individual development program is a fallacy and are penciled whipped (There is never any time to work on them). Nepotism runs rampant. Heavy physical workload. Heavy ladder work. Held accountable over different standards. Perform the same tasks 3 or 4 times before the company gets it right. You will always be putting out fires. You can plan and plan and plan, but your planning will never go as planned. You will always be behind and playing catch up on merchandising, pushing freight, and other manager functions. You will be constantly changing things. Add working the DM walk notes which are pages at a time to your responsibilities. Part-timers are not allowed to be scheduled more than 20 hours a week (at minimum wage) with no health coverage which results in high turnover and being forced to hire high school minors. You will always be understaffed. Halloween is their Christmas so all managers (especially salaried General Managers), be prepared to work 6-7 days a week, open to close to stay caught up or until it's complete. Be prepared to lose sleep at night thinking about how your going to get everything they want accomplished done within their expectations. This is a privately held company so everything at the corporate level is a secret. It's such a struggle to keep morale high. You will feel embarrassed and ashamed come review time when you sit down with one of your associates and tell them what a great asset they were so here is your 3 cent raise. There are so many great people that work in the stores. There are so many that want out but are either afraid to leave (because they've been there so long) or won't find anything else and are stuck in a dead end miserable career with no end in sight.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you could live up to your expectations. Ask yourself if you could work under the above conditions. Ask yourself if you would be happy under the above conditions. There are so many great people that work for your company who are physically and mentally exhausted. Stop abusing them and start taking care of them.

This company needs Jesus

Current Employee - Store Associate in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than an year)

Pros

very relaxed, they will work around your schedule! very hard to get fired

Cons

little to no training, very unorganized, very little promotions. no incentives to do better.

its okay to promote people. Actually train and coach the people you hire!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, the only cool thing about working here is that you get to help people prepare for Halloween. There is nothing fun about working here.

Cons

It gets really crowded during October and the manager WILL play favorites.

You guys need to make your employees feel special. Employees here end up feeling like volunteers instead of fully employed employees.

Not a company that cares about their employees

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Richardson, TX

I worked at Party City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun to work there, get to interact with kids, pretty easy to do this job. Anybody cando it. Taught me alot about customer service and retail.

Cons

Anybody can do it. This company is only interested in hiring high school kids.

Don't just stop putting employees on the schedule. You can get in serious trouble for that. Especially while they're pregnant!

Party City Photos