Party City Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job, for a 1st job

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Party City full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most co-workers were amazing!! Enjoyed most of the customers. Some were in a rush to leave and could get a little snappy if you weren't quick enough. They were very flexible with my schedule around school and work.

Cons

When it got busy, it was BUSY!!! Halloween season was always so crazy! Some co-workers could be a little sneaky and management would not do a thing. For example, a fellow co-worker (who I did not get along with) told our manager that I had agreed to work her shift, when I in fact did not agree. I got screwed over because management did not have an effective way of scheduling and shift changes. Sorry, word of mouth doesn't work well at any job.

Take control of scheduling and assist employees when it's busy!

HORRIBLE JOB

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Davie, FL

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

there were no pros for this place. it was hell.

Cons

WORKING WITH ONLY 1 OTHER PERSON. MAIN MANAGER DIDN'T HELP MUCH.

Terrible first job

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on balloons, didn't have to work too late, got free candy. I can now wrap gifts pretty well.

Cons

I have never had a more frustrating management experience. Nothing was consistent and I never knew what my supervisor expected of me

Better training for managers would be good. I could tell they were all jaded and wanted to get out of there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used & Abused: The story of a Party City Franchise

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nothing really, aside from having a job. If you like to be over worked. under paid, no raises, no holidays, and a District Manager who would promote his immature son to General Manager and then blindly trust him while not even hearing what other employees have to say ..I guess those are pros if they sound good to you!

Cons

Innovation is not tolerated. Trying to increase sales is frowned upon. If you make a change that increases sales by a lot, you better make sure it doesn't make more work for the District Manager, or make him look bad. I could go on for days.

You need to be fired. No joke. You made your Son GM, you made your best friend GM, your fear of computers and technology is crippling. Your hatred for innovation is beyond insane. And the fact that you, the District Manager don't have a High School Degree, and your son the General Manager also doesnt have a High School degree, is not only laughable, its sad.

Mis treated employee

Current Employee - Personalization Studio  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Personalization Studio in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I Was happy with my set schedule however that has been taken away from me. Full time benefits Are still effective

Cons

I have worked hard for this company for 6+years and have received nothing but lousy raises.It is hard to find a full time job so I've put up with it because of my set schedule, and medical benefits.

However, I'm now being told that my department does not make enough profit for the company, therefore, they are promoting me to a team lead position but without a raise. It's not my fault they are not making a profit, however, I'm the one being punished. My set hours are being taking away as well as more responsibility. I'm now responsible for my department as well as the managements duties.

I've never been more insulted and disrespected in my life. I refuse to be treated this way by a multimillion dollar company without a fight.

I am not being paid to do management tasks and I plan to seek legal advice.This is not acceptable nor a way to treat a dedicated employee of 6 years.

Respect your employees and lead by example.

Party city worst retail management job ever.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Party City full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing to like about them...

Cons

DM was a bully who liked to rule with fear and intimidation. When I went to human resources about him the regional hr person was acting like it was my fault.I contacted the employee hot line spoke to someone and no return calls at all.even sent the director of human resources an email and never got a response.After I finally quite do to work place Harassment and hostile work place the regional human resources person calls me and ask what would I like to see happen..This went in for four months...don't work for a company like them .find a company who will care.

Please take these reviews into consideration as they are not all sour grapes..Also treat the store teams like you care about them

Currently looking for a different job

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are only a few good things I can say about working here. The employee discount is great, I like most of the people I work with and I was able to work my schedule around school.

Cons

The pay is horrible and the yearly raises are an insult. One of my managers told me how much she makes after working for the company for many years and I was shocked... Less than $9 an hour after working there for over 10 years is crazy! This is also the first place I have worked where you do not get breaks other than your 30 minute lunch. You can work a 9-10 hour day and only get a 30 minute lunch... that's is.

horrible

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

they were friendly at times

Cons

you over work with very little pay around halloween.

I worked for a franchise store

I worked at Party City

Pros

I had chances to advance

Cons

Horrible pay, bad hours, and management did what they wanted while giving employees a rough way to go.

Appreciate the employees you have. Thank them instead of constantly just telling them things they did wrong.

More doing than managing

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager  in  Yorktown, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Yorktown, NY

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constantly busy. Customers are 99% friendly. How can you not be, its a party store. Company constantly tries to improve, rather than staying stagnant.

Cons

Not one big holiday season but many. Lots of transitional moves.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!