Party City

www.partycity.com

Party City Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty good if management is good

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Burlington, NJ

ProsIt's easy work and it isn't hard to learn. Plenty of time to talk to your coworkers when its slow. Colorful store environment. Great discount.

ConsManagement can be rough when distributing hours... there were weeks where I only got scheduled for 3 hours, which ultimately lead to my leaving. Halloween time is absolute hell... store is trashed and it takes forever to clean it, lines out the door, management is frazzled, hours are long.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some loss prevention and don't schedule people for one 3 hour shift a week!

Clear out some upper management

Management (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI received excellent compensation and was able to earn a healthy bonus. Decent benefits and they have learned how to run a busy Halloween season.

ConsChange in Upper Management has caused turmoil. Open hostility between vice president and regional people made things uncomfortable. Had a very hard time finding people who wanted to be promoted into this mess. They have also shifted towards having salaried employees do less supervisory work, something they've been successfully sued for in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your upper management people if you are not comfortable with them. Keep politics out of the stores

Nice friendly co-workers and supervisors, even in the customer chaos the Management was always solid and willing to help

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice people, helpful, willing to provide advice, as well as good natured.

ConsYou will work hard and the pay is...well, minimum wage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get in and get out as fast as you can!

Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) North Babylon, NY

ProsFree candy, no drug testing for hourly associates, good store discounts. Unless it's Halloween, you probably won't have a lot of work to do.

ConsHorrible hours, low starting pay, low raises, difficult environment to succeed and advance in. If you're a cashier, expect to be running back and forth between the balloon counter and your register. I worked there for a year, and got a whopping ten cent raise to 7.60 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees are well paid employees. I know the minimum wage is still low in many states, but you don't have to remind us!

Fun environment to work in.

Team Lead I (Current Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsVery relaxed job, easy to get your foot in the door. They mostly only hire during Halloween for temporary and then keep a handful of people that showed potential.

ConsLow pay. Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies. Last year my raise was .05 cents the year before that it was .11 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly store managers get salary. So if youre a Assistant Manager youll be paid hourly working 55 hours a week.

Good job, bad career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Simi Valley, CA

ProsThe pay is above minimum and the customers you get coming through are primarily women looking to shop for parties, making sure that almost everybody who walks in there is in a good mood to begin with. The management at my store are all awesome and incredibly flexible with availability, hours, and getting days off.

ConsWorst. Music. Ever. It's all covers done by horrible imitators of the original songs. The only other complaint is that usually Party City hires outside of the company for management positions and doesn't usually hire up from within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. We know so much more about the ebb and flow and inner workings of the stores that I feel we are much better equipped with the knowledge to address issues that arise compared to those who are just coming into the company with no prior experience of working in a Party City store.

Don't believe what they tell you

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHalloween is a fun time. Good discount.

ConsWon't do anything to change a bad situation even though they know it's messed up. Horrible hours. Managers never get 2 days off in a row, as per company policy. Lie to employees to get them to stay. Upper management does nothing to get rid of the dead beat store managers, they yell and scream but no real repercussions and they all know it. Behavior never changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to manage more professionally. It shouldn't matter what your mood is, it should be a standard. Get better standards put into place. Hold people accountable , if a manager isn't doing their job then they should be dealt with.

Great if you like walking on others

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSalary can be good once you get into management but you have to push for it

ConsUpper management are not operations oriented, they change things constantly and institute policies and procedures that are ineffective and have no real logic or purpose to them.
    In the years I have been with the company it has gotten progressively worse, you will never hear a thank you or good job only why didn't you do this or it took to long.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone who knows how to operate a retail store and take some classes on how to treat people with dignity and respect!

good first job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Centennial, CO

Proseasy, learned alot, flexible, easy-going, fun atmosphere. My managers were really fun and would let us decide which task we wanted to do for the day (Register or floor).

ConsI hated saying the same script everyday to check people out. There were angry moms mad over balloon orders in which they picked out the color of the balloons. Minimum wage pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow there to be promotions for your workers. Encourage employees to stay.

Not a bad seasonal job

Pros- Interacting with customers
    - Fun, young group of co-workers
    - Always on your feet
    - Got to do a bunch of different things (stocking shelves, stock room, costume wall)

Cons- Communication with management was limited
    - Was difficult to get my work schedule as I was never put on the calendar (had to call in multiple times just to get in touch with a manager)
    - Job only lasted a few weeks

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!