Pasadena City College

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
3.9

Paulette J. Perfumo

Great place to get teaching experience

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pasadena City College part-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff and administration in my department were outstanding. PCC has a beautiful campus, especially for a community college, and I always enjoyed spending time there. They were extremely flexible in helping me create a schedule that worked.

Cons

Well, everyone knows it's difficult to make a living as an adjunct. That's no different at PCC. Yes, the hourly pay rates are good, but you can only get so many hours. They have very strict rules about that. No benefits aside from a fairly insignificant retirement program.

While my supervisor was fantastic, the college is mismanaged and HR was a nightmare.

Former Employee - College Assistant
    Former Employee - College Assistant

I worked at Pasadena City College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a lot of flexibility with my schedule and was paid above minimum wage.

Cons

You are treated badly my HR and Fiscal Services if you are not a full time employee. Rule made by the administrators were changed often and left us lowly employees to deal with angry students.

Great Working Environment

Former Employee - Accounting Tutor  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Tutor in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pasadena City College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly supervisors and co-workers

Cons

Work-study pay is a little low at $8/hr

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Pasadena City College was personally and professionally fulfilling.

Former Employee - Instructional Aide  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Aide in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pasadena City College as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

Pasadena City College is a wonderful place to work because of its diverse student population and commitment to providing a superior educational experience and training. There are many opportunities to find creative solutions to overcome challenges that are a part to the educational process.

Cons

That they don't provide enough benefits for hourly employees and you have to pay for parking.

Put adjunct faculty on the tenure track sooner and give more incentives to stay at P.C.C.

Service upon request

Current Employee - Hourly Empolyee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Hourly Empolyee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Pasadena City College part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I deeply enjoy working for the IT department. It is by far the best job I landed to date!

Cons

The work can become monotones but the everyday events that occur spice up the job.

Take care of the little people, they are the ones that make the difference in the projects.

tutor

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Pasadena City College part-time for more than a year

Pros

love working there, great people and environment.

Cons

I wish if they allow people to advance.

Great place for experience.

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pasadena City College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Overal l really liked working here as a student. Had set hours and was really flexible with my hours.

Cons

The budget cuts because I lost my job after a year

This employment was definitely a laid back experience; Having even a minimal amount of competency is sufficient.

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Pasadena City College

Pros

A major benefit is definitely the incredibly flexible schedule (although that may vary depending on who manages your department). The pay is reasonable; Nothing more should be expected from a student-worker position at a college.

Cons

The downsides, (although almost every student-worker job has this downside attached to it) are that there is no possibility of career advancement and there is no chance of receiving benefits and/or a pay raise.

Delegate more responsibilities to eager and competent student workers, as well as offer incentive to better performing workers. Having a few dedicated interns per department as compared to two assistants per teacher would make sense in a financial downturn that we're currently facing.

Assisted a professor in the grading, recording, and distribution of exams.

Former Employee - Grader  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Grader in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pasadena City College

Pros

Hourly wage is inflated. The pay is pretty good for what is expected. Grading is straightforward and so is the program used to record scores.

Cons

Generally disorganized with employees who are slow at their jobs because they know they're safe. Some people just stop caring when they've been somewhere for too long.

At PCC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Pasadena City College

Pros

Good direct management. They allow for personal time, and it's not a job where you have to sweat in order to complete the day. In fact, many people just glide through doing next to nothing.

Cons

If you like being bored out of your mind, then work at PCC. Also, be prepared to be frustrated. At home, most of us are used to good technology, and we're used to companies trying to expand their technology to entice new clients. At PCC their technology is a joke. They're back in the 80's at best. Their MIS department is horrendous. They are undereducated and next to worthless.

Realize that you're looked upon as being completely outdated. There hasn't been any significant changes to increase the operational effectiveness of the 2 year university in ages. And it's your fault. Your subordinates are scared of change, and you lack the courage or enthusiasm to confront them and mandate change regardless of union disapproval. Fire everyone in the MIS department and get some fresh CS majors.

Worked for Pasadena City College? Contribute to the Community!