Pasadena Independent School District

3.3

Pasadena Independent School District Superintendent Kirk Lewis
Kirk Lewis

Great workplace

I have been working at Pasadena Independent School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Possibly the best atmosphere to ever work in. Very calm and relaxed.

Cons

Pay is low for the job

Management is great.

Positive

I worked at Pasadena Independent School District

Pros

fun place to work and good people

Cons

no support from management, low pay

Once was very happy, now am very miserable.

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary  in  Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Pasadena Independent School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and health insurance are very good.

Cons

Constantly being 'required' to do more, and more, and more, with no regard to the fact that you are a human being with a private life, family, etc. is a soul killer. They took a fantastic program, Guided Reading, and have turned it into a Frankenstein monster with their demands that micromanage your lessons and their demands for data. If I took as much data as they want, I'd never get to teach! Next year they are adding Guided Math. I'm out! Last year I decided to 'get organized' with their reading lessons. Everything is online. You are not allowed to use any textbooks. So, I went online and printed everything they posted for the 1st month of reading lessons. It took over one ream of paper. Good grief! That is what you are supposed to know and do, for one subject, in the first month, while doing all the begining of the year stuff and pretesting. There has to be a better way. Also, I am an excellent teacher. I've been with PISD for over 15 years. My students always performed at the top, with 90% - 100% passing on state tests, until the past 2 years when I am now being made to do things their way. Ugh! Oh, and the new Standards Based Grading? A whole lot of work for nothing. I am so done.

Quit micromanaging. Quit takind someone's graduate thesis as education law. Hire great teachers and then get out of their way! Quit testing kids till they are numb to the whole thing and don't give a care.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No school district is perfect, but my experience at PISD has been rewarding and satisfying.

Current Employee - Journalism Teacher  in  South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Journalism Teacher in South Houston, TX

Pros

Spectacular Alternative Teaching Certification Program, supportive administrators, highly qualified teachers, advanced technology, and many opportunities for staff development.

Cons

No institution is perfect, but PISD is among the best in the state.

Lead from the heart. Show your kindness, patience, and understanding for teachers, students, & parents. Give second chances and nurture new teachers who show potential. Try to get to know each and every employee on a personal level despite time constraints. Show that you're human. Share things about yourself. Everyone needs continuous mentoring, even mentors themselves. Most teachers just want to please their administrators. If they are not at the level you need them to be, guide them and provide ample support.

Time to Clean House

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Pasadena Independent School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people at the Admin. Building and in support positions

Cons

The favoritism at the campus level is so obvious-in-your-face, it's disgusting. The bilingual students do not get the support they need because non-bilingual support staff/peer-facilitators are hired. Special Ed teachers are not bilingual, so those kids get help from an aide, which is not the same as a certified teacher, or the student ends up doing their work in English.

Time to send out more individual surveys of staff to see the real views of the people on the campus. A lot of people are scared to express their opinions because they are worried about their names not being kept confidential. There are some really nasty administrators out there that are very unprofessional. Big Brother needs to keep a closer eye on their administrators.

Sinkhole

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Pasadena Independent School District as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the schools still have hope as the students are eager to learn and are respectful of the teachers as opposed to the student population elsewhere in the district.

Cons

Just about everything..... You are handicapped when it comes to technology, a large percentage of the student population has little interest in education, the administration is beyond help....... Long story short, Pasadena ISD is a sinkhole and it will take a small miracle to redeem this district.

More support for the teachers!!!!!!!!!

My Experiences in Pasadena ISD.

Former Employee - Teacher-Spanish & History/ESL  in  Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher-Spanish & History/ESL in Pasadena, TX

Pros

I met some of the nicest people to work with in Pasadena ISD, and I am still friends with them, both personally & professionally. I retained my TAH Grant (2008-2014).

Cons

No one nor place is perfect.

"No Teacher Left Behind!"

Too busy jumping through administrative and bureaucratic hoops to actually teach effectively.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Pasadena Independent School District

Pros

Good training and staff development. Quality teachers and good support from the classroom instruction specialists. Lots of resources to choose from.

Cons

Administrators micromanage and have teachers jump through so many hoops it is terribly difficult to instruct students without the nagging feeling that you may have forgotten something that could be placed in your file when principals and others conduct unscheduled and unannounced visits to the classroom for 5 minutes and then evaluate an hour of instruction based on that short time window. Students are not given adequate consequences by administrators for fear of offending parents - even if students are sent to administrators for theft, assault, or threats against the teacher.

Take a week or two and go back to the classroom before you burden teachers with more administrative requirements.

Pasadena ISD is overall a supportive work environment.

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher  in  Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Pasadena Independent School District

Pros

The pay at Pasadena ISD is comparable to other school districts in the area. There are ample opportunities for professional development provided and the district is committed to promoting people from within the district to higher ranks.

Cons

Some of the schools face tougher demographic challenges than others. Much focus is placed on test scores which can be to the detriment to the true education of the student.

School District that really makes a difference

I worked at Pasadena Independent School District

Pros

Feeling of achievement; volunteer opportunities for employees to work directly with the children no matter if you are working in the office, at the school, or in the administrative office; everyone is working hard to support the children; promotes from within

Cons

Facing cutbacks; advancement opportunities dependent on tax intake and/or someone leaving the post above you; fiscal challenges affect every level of the district forcing employees to find creative solutions to problems

Tough choices ahead, just remember its all about the kids.

Worked for Pasadena Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!