Pason Systems Reviews in Canada

Marcel Kessler

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place!

I worked at Pason Systems full-time

Pros

It has a very good company culture, with decent pay. Lots of talented people (and opportunities) around to learn new things from. Management is flexible and supportive of employee needs. Compensation is also above average.

Cons

Rapid expansion seems to have affected company dynamics and culture slightly - to be expected though I think. Not much openings for the field I worked in.

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Administration  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administration in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide an array of fitness activities and encourage employees to take time out of their work day to enjoy pilates, yoga, ball hockey, and many other activities. There are social events throughout the year where employees can get to know others in a fun energetic environment.

Cons

It is a large company trying to hold on to their small company feel. There are a lack of policies and procedures which frustrate some employees.

Be present at social events and engage other employees instead of staying within the senior team.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Intern  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture. The people who work here are very, very intelligent and I learned a lot from them. It feels like a start-up.

Cons

If you're not an engineer, learning about Pason's products can be a bit overwhelming, but it's all a part of the process.

Keep up the awesome work! Although, I'd love to see women on the executive team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Company! Fantastic People! Fantastic Work life balance!

I have been working at Pason Systems

Pros

Pason has a great team with very smart and innovative people who want to make a difference. There are not a lot of politics which is a really nice change to some of the companies in Calgary. It feels like you can actually make a difference at Pason no matter what level of position you are in. They do take care of their employees which really makes you want to come to work each day. This is the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

Nothing that stands out as I think it is a great company to work for.

Love it here

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee morale is high, no drama, teambuilding, 4 weeks vacations to start, yearly bonus, great benefit and rrsp plan

Cons

Would like more flexibility in my hours, that's the only con I can think of.

Good job. More time should be spent managing expenses and costs and the savings should be passed on to the employees through their bonuses.

Decent company, nice people, unambitious development goals.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with in their product development were great people. Fun to go to work with. Had my own office so it was easy to concentrate.

Cons

Focus on always developing new features so sales would always have something new to demo. No real consideration for the customer experience or on going costs to maintenance. No vision.

Big potential but complacent management

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time

Pros

The company culture and work/life balance is great. Financial compensation is good, above average.

Cons

Many employees have been with the company for a very long time and while this is good for attrition it also means that seniority is tied to years of service rather than technical merits, although there are some exceptions. This also seems to be ingrained in Pason's culture, which makes is extremely difficult to grow and implement change.

Encourage the movement of engineers across the organization. Eliminate useless meetings and streamline process. Outsourcing software development/QA was a terrible idea, cost the company significant amount of money and time to coordinate projects. It's contrary to the culture senior management communicated it aimed to build and would likely and unfortunately lead to disastrous results for some projects. Pason can financially afford to organically grow.

Great low key place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very little office politics and drama, encouragement in career advancement, employees are happy and pleasant to one another, not downtown

Cons

Siloed groups, little interaction between them, IT department seems overloaded

Solid company, good people

Former Employee - Technical Communicator  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Communicator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros – Compensation packages including salary and non-monetary are above average. Genuine opportunties for career development, training, vacation, work-life balance.
    Management promotes team work and collegial atmosphere. Contract workers also treated well--virtually like employees including year-end bonuses, which is unheard of.

I was at Pason for 2+ years in the Technical Communications group. I enjoyed working with my direct co-workers, who were friendly and professional. No politics was a huge bonus! My manager was supportive and provided clear direction yet allowed me to take the initiative so I never felt micro-managed. Fair's fair--in return for my hard work, my manager made sure I was more than fairly compensated and appreciated by the company. I saw several instances of my manager's genuine care and concern for staff. I really don't get the negative review about the Technical Communications group below--reviewer has an axe to grind--because the manager in that review is not the one I know. I was very sorry to leave Pason for personal reasons and would go back in a heart beat.

Cons

Cons – I'm an inner-city resident who doesn't like to commute so Pason's location in an industrial park was a detractor for me.

Keep up the good work--seriously!

To "Solid company, good people"

Former Employee - Intermediate Technical Communicator  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Intermediate Technical Communicator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance, bbq lunches. Pay was ok. Worker-level people were pretty good.

Cons

To "Solid company, good people," no I don't have an "axe to grind." My goal was to merely give people information on the department and some of the things that happened there. If this information helps people make a decision on whether to work in that department or not, that's up to them. Personally, if I had read a review on the department before coming on-board, I would have declined the offer. I am not sure how long ago you worked there but things could have changed in the last year or so. When I was there, there was more than one person in the department that had issues with management. After the fact I also learned of a very high turnover rate in the department. Suddenly things started to make sense. I was told by a teammate that I just have to get used to the behavior of management and quite frankly, it was not something anyone should have to get used to. When I was hired, it was for my experience (I had been doing the job for 16 years) but when your manager tells you in a one-on one meeting that you are not allowed to have any ideas or allowed to pass on tips and pointers to my co-workers, this reinforced that this was a place I did not want to work. After less than two weeks there, the manager came to me and said they were "overly concerned" at my lack of prioritizing, yet they did not tell me to do anything but research, read and meet/talk to people (I was 95% done since we had to track every minute detail of what we did). When you leave the building every day feeling stupid and inadequate because of the actions and words of your boss, it is not a healthy place to be. I could go on and on about what happened there (there was a lot more than this) but I won't. At the end of the day, it was the worst time I have ever had on a job and the worst boss I think I will ever encounter. It was so bad I packed up my desk after three weeks and started looking elsewhere. Just food for thought for anyone that wants to read this. No axes to grind here, just some facts of what happened to me during my time there and if this makes people question things when interviewing there, then this has accomplished what it was meant to do.

Again, treat people like they are not in kindergarten and you will get a results oriented team that delivers. There are also more ways to do things than the "Pason way" that could actually work if your mind is open to them. If you are honest about questioning things, then actually let them question things. When you are told you are not allowed to have any ideas, this is a complete opposite to being able to question things.

Worked for Pason Systems? Contribute to the Community!