Pason Systems

Add Photos

Pason Systems President & CEO Marcel Kessler

Marcel Kessler

Software Engineer-Intern

Software Engineer-Intern (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Pason Systems as an intern for less than a year

ProsAwesome work culture!
Excellent peers and good work-life balance.

ConsNothing I could think of. Absolutely excellent experience so far

Company as a whole is good

Command Center Geologist (Current Employee)
Golden, CO

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsFruit, nuts, and goodies in break room, chair massages, and ice cream Fridays.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, poor compensation compared to industry standard.

Advice to Senior Managementpoor shift management, under-staffing, and poor compensations makes people want to leave.

Lost in Merger

Geology Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany provides good benifits and the work assingments are well defined

ConsSituation when i was released was a type of cut throat enviroment. When i began working for Pason, a family type enviroment was present. Everyone was willing to help others when needed. This changed as the company grew and it became a lookout for yourself atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the real feelings of your employees in the field. Try to bring the family atmospher back. This will increase productivity and decrease employee turnover

Pason Systems Field Service/Sales Technician

Field Service and Sales Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA good company to work for. They listen to the employees and implement changes where possible. They will be around for as long as there are oil fields with drilling rigs. They protect and take care of you in the field and make sure you have what you need to do your job efficiently.

ConsThe most senior management in the US division is influenced by the regional managers to the point that they do not look for facts when making decisions on personnel. 20% of your annual salary is from a bonus that they will lay you off 3 weeks before it is paid out, even though the period that determines the bonus has been completed for over a month. If you call a regional manager on a flagrant violation of company policy (in this case it was the death of my father and the bereavement policy) they can lay you off because you made them look stupid for trying to control how and when you would be able to take your time off to deal with the estate. I was the only person laid off by this company that has many openings listed all the time in the entire Country, no offer to take one of the many positions I was qualified for. I was laid off two weeks before Thanksgiving and denied the bonus I had earned that would have been in the $12K to $15K range.

Their other problem is pay, the pay is salary and when worked out to an hourly wage is the lowest in the oilfield. They try to justify this by saying that the adjusted income when you take into account the benefits puts you at a higher pay rate. They think the employees are to stupid to realize that EVERYONE in the oil field has comparable benefits and much higher pay. Pason techs will average out to about $270 a day, while comparable techs with other companies will make $400 per day to start. You can make more as a mud tech or solids control on a rig with far less responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees if there is a conflict don't just take the word of one disgruntled and embarrassed regional manager and put an entire family out of work at the holidays after a major traumatizing event, because the regional was embarrassed that the employee followed procedures and used the Company Culture to handle an issue, while he just cowered behind is "power".

one of the few companies using modern technologies to solve problems in the oil and gas industry

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Pason Systems as an intern for less than a year

Prosgood work-life balance, feels a lot like a growing startup rather than an uptight company

Consa lot of legacy code/designs/infrastructure; slow to adopt growing trends in software

Okay for entry level position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany offers perks and good benefits

ConsSchedule and no room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Its been a very good place to work.

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYour on your own, you will succeed if you can drive yourself.

ConsYou control your own work/life balance. If you didn't have it figured out in your last job, don't expect to figure it out at Pason.

Disposable Employees / Carnivore Company

Field Service Technician (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy to get a job especially in Field Service. Its an oilfield service company based in Canada. They own 90% of the oil rig monitoring market in Canada and they are well on their way to doing the same in the US. With NAFTA they now have expanded into Mexico as well.

ConsYou are on call 24 / 7, 365 a year. If you don't like driving a large pickup truck around, you won't like working at Pason. The carnivore part is that they are very predatory, to the extent that they will practically give away the monitoring package rentals to get on oil drilling rigs. The goal is to eliminate the competition. Those companies it can't run off, it buys out and then gut. When the competition is gone their rental rates go way up, usually beyond what was typical before their entry into a particular market.

As a field service hand, you're essentially a easily replaced truck driver with a toolbox. Drivers typically work long hours with a sliding pay scale that rewards overtime with a decreasing pay rate. The longer you work in a week, the less per hour your take-home pay is. Not sure if that's legal or not.

The field service middle-management don't think anything at all about moving the field service techs from one location to another with little to no notice. Makes it impossible to sign more than a 6 month lease for apartment or house.
They also don't think anything at all about moving you from one place to another

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably not worth the effort. They already know it all. Their business plan has been working fine to date simply because business in the oil & gas industry has remained good. When it takes the usual cyclic dive to the toilet, they layoff as much service staff as they can to keep the business in the black. Employees are easily replaced.

Great job for a single guy

Field Service and Sales Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo set schedule, lots of travel, independace, high paced

Consodd work hours, poor training program

Management loves to use the word "culture" and say how great things will be, however, all is not what it seems.

I have been working at Pason Systems

ProsThe benefits were completely paid for by the company, which is nice. They like to have cookouts and it like they almost care for you. hehehe

ConsManagement, specifically middle management, doesn't have a clue what is going on it seems. They tell you that you have "the right to challenge" but when you actually challenge it does nothing but make you look bad. When questions are asked of management, answers, if true, rarely come. Its all about making themselves look good to upper management. Their performance reviews are a joke..... they ask you what you need, only to laugh or turn down every request for training or tools. While they love to hire interns, probably because they are cheaper, they do have some smart people, but most of them have no oil and gas experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit wasting time showing pretty slide shows every quarter and actually listen to the people who actually do the work. Its getting to the point where there is too many managers, and each one of them have their own little agendas that Jim Hill doesn't see. And be honest with your employees.

Worked for Pason Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pason Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pason Systems CEO Marcel Kessler . All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Pason Systems employees.