Patch Media

Patch Media Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Though intent was good, working there was hard and stressful.

Editor (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsPeople worked hard and benefits/salaries were good.

ConsCompany was not run well as a business. The layoffs were brutal.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't start up a company unless you have a sales force in place.

Highly useful internship!

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsI was an intern with Patch in summer 2013, and my colleagues there treated me like I was on their level. They recognized that I had potential and allowed me to take chances with my work, and I proved that they could trust me to do as they asked. The job is also a great way to get to meet new people, because it was community-focused journalism, which helped me get out of my introverted shell while learning new journalism skills. Was definitely a good fit for me! It kept me as busy as I wanted to be, but working from home was a perk.

ConsThe only disappointing thing was that the sites in Washington state are no longer staffed. My internship ended early because of company-wide layoffs, and it was not fun to go through that process.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor those regions where Patch still has staff, find ways to keep it going! Get to know your community members, and continue the camaraderie among the staff that helped make it such a fun job.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of opportunity for career growth.

ConsThe company could not sustain its own growth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lofty goals that died about two years ago

Local Editor (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsStarted with a great vision for news, but got bogged down in advertorials and yard sales. I liked the autonomy, that they gave us good tools (in the beginning) and that we were covering places that newspapers had long forgotten.

ConsNo real plan for advancement for editoris, too many weird ideas about edit that came from new york and not the field, penny pinching towards the end.

Exciting start-up and great co-workers, but disorganized and poor communication

New York, NY

ProsIt was a fun place to work as the company was growing, and many of us were passionate about what we were doing, worked hard but played hard and we learned a lot very quickly.

ConsPoor communication between HQ and the field and company grew too quickly.

Great while it lasted

Regional Editor (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, inspiring mission, exciting ramp up and some really great work done by a lot of dedicated journalists.

ConsIt was too unwieldy to last for long, despite everyone's best efforts. Not sure why, even now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give up.

They came in big, with noble intentions. Like most pioneers, bumps and bruises were fatal, but I believe in hyperlocal!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is an incredible need for hyperlocal journalism in the 24/7 model. Audience loved it when we gave them the tailored content that worked in their particular communities. The next iteration could capture this massive market!

ConsMixed messages, cross purposes conspired against sustained growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart small, solidify the model for success, then pick it up and replicate. Do it patiently, with purpose and focus, and it will spread like wildfire.

Fun job, micromanaged staff

Local Editor (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe job enabled me to network in Silicon Valley.

ConsThe job expectations led to burn out.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should commit to a list of deliverables for a sprint.

Great Idea...Poor Leadership

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsAOL dumped a crazy amount of money into the idea.

ConsNothing like the training you go through. Very inefficient internally and operationally confused. Management is unsure of how to lead from the front. "Do as I say not as I do mentality."

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees on a regular basis rather than burn them out and hope the numbers fall in your favor from the amount of calls they are making. Educate them on best practices frequently, and encourage time spent AT WORK to research industry statistics. 10 Engaged employees are more valuable to a company than 20 burned out employees. High turnover from poor leadership.

Crazy

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsMany of my co-workers were lifelines during the constant upheaval of working at Patch.

ConsSo many to mention: top management had no clue of what was needed, necessary and viable out in the separate Patch towns. Instead of bombarding the editors with one corporate initiative after another that just caused more work but no results, why not help us do our jobs better? Hiring advertising staff might help to bring in money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to business school and learn how to run a business successfully. Don't take millions in pay unless you have good results to show for it.

Worked for Patch Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Patch Media reviews and ratings. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Patch Media employees.