Patch

Be The First To
Add Photos

Patch President Warren Webster

Warren Webster

Pros
  • You get to work from home, which can be a wonderful thing for those with families(in 10 reviews)

• Second was the opportunity to work with great people in the field(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be very organized in order to maintain a work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management was completely disconnecting from those in the field(in 5 reviews)

Great company and culture, too bad it ended

IT Support (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWhen I started it was a great culture, great place to be. The people, the perks & benefits were amazing. Always a great party happening, we had a bar fully stocked w/ beer and always celebrated peoples ideas and their birthdays as well.

ConsTerrible business model and no profits were made which affected its long term success and led to its eventual demise. They kept so much pressure on the sales team, the engineering team ran wild w/ expenses and there was never a balance, it was a frat house mentality with a blank check, until that well ran dry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the journalism, get back to the core values of what Hyper Local media was supposed to be.

It once was great

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsWhile Patch was owned by AOL, employees were given excellent benefits and competitive salaries. Working from home was also nice.

ConsZero work-life balance. There were no set hours, and the work was never done. Management was very inconsistent. Some managers gave the editors complete flexibility and autonomy, and others were micromanagers.

Great job before the massive layoffs

ProsPatch was a great place to work prior to 2013 when they had to scale back dramatically. The pay was great for a job in journalism.

ConsManagement was great for the most part but there are always a few bad apples. It was inconsistent from one region to another how successful the sites were but some regions had it down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting concept, poorly executed.

Writer (Current Employee)

ProsContracted to write for Patch when they first came into existence. They offered great flexibility and creative freedom. Both their pay rates and opportunities for freelancers started out good but steadily declined to less than desirable.

ConsPay and consistency of freelance assignments steadily declined. Goals and structure of the organization often changed focus and lacked clear strategy. Local editors were always stretched too thin.

Years of relative freedom to run successful site ruined by ill-advised sites that had no chance of success.

Editor (Former Employee)

ProsFor journalism, the money was good, and the benefits were even better. The working environment was great with plenty of fellow editors within local regions and states working together. Opportunities abounded to experiment or jump into a local big story feet first.

ConsThere were never enough sales people to make it a success, and the marketing was left strictly to the local editors for far too long. Lack of revenue from many sites led to a change from hyperlocal emphasis to whatever posts could draw the most page views, even if they weren't local or even regional. Tons of vacation days and holidays "available" with seemingly no time to take them off.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the new owner rebuilds Patch, management should consider hiring 2 people in sales for every 1 in editorial. Dump the perceived quotas of posts if the editors are getting the page views and user contributions needed to keep growing.

Amazing camaraderie, super-smart people

Community Calendar Editor (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsThe idea was to bring local news back to communities in a truly accessible way — and I definitely feel like they pulled it off for a while. The company benefited from the mass of incredibly hardworking, but newly unemployed, newspaper reporters who still wanted to do journalism and report local news. The best part was definitely working with deeply passionate people who genuinely want to inform their communities.

ConsLow pay, long hours. All of the local editors were extremely overworked and attempting to make do with an incredibly small amount of resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe idea was extraordinary. So find a business model that works.

One of the first to be laid off

DIrectory Team (Former Employee)

ProsIt was such a good idea, focusing on news in local areas that were rarely covered because they were so close to a big city. The people leaving traditional newspapers and broadcast companies saw this as a new change to reinvent journalism.

ConsAll the problems with newsrooms were still at Patch. Finding ways to make money after the expensive scaling initiative was the main struggle. Why would anyone advertise if they already had a directory listing on the Patch.com local site?

Could've been great, but a struggling business model negatively impacts the culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople were really energetic and smart.

ConsThe business wasn't making enough money, but the company kept hiring more and more staff, raising operating costs. This really took its toll on the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun lean or run away.

Good company for freelance writers

Freelance Writer (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsEasily accessible, fun, deadlines are reasonable, great way to socialize within town

ConsDepending on editor, some took long periods to pay

Great company culture before layoffs

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThere were free drinks and snacks 24/7 even after the layoffs. Community-oriented events and parties occurred before the layoffs. From the sales perspective, it was a great environment to learn from colleagues and have selling almost become collaborative.

ConsSales at Patch could be described as managing your territory as your own entity. I would have appreciated more formal training and guidance from management. Your assigned territory seemed to have a definite impact on selling-experience.

Worked for Patch? Contribute to the Community!