Patch

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Charlie Hale

Pros
  • You get to work from home, which can be a wonderful thing for those with families (in 19 reviews)

• Second was the opportunity to work with great people in the field (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But it was the worst work-life balance I hope to ever encounter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management was completely disconnecting from those in the field (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

encouraging workplace

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time

Pros

My Patch office maintains a great atmosphere of levity and hard work. Overall high diligence and low tension. Managers and coworkers are encouraging and make for an unmistakably team feel. Major thing for me: super patient and motivating team leads / managers. Always ready to help. Good learning environment where people have clear responsibilities and get out what they put in.

Cons

new site features and changes still have a bit of unraveling to do. Occasional uncertainty as to what to tell customers about the near future of what Patch is offering in the way of website free user platforms

could use more training sessions that would talk about what verticals to capitalize on given current market trends.

Was great and painful at various times

Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Patch

Pros

Learned a lot, own boss, decent pay

Cons

Lots of corporate shenanigans, bad work life balance, they laid 90 percent off

Great Peolple

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Patch

Pros

I worked there when they still offered outside Marketing Managers. It was good at first then, quickly it became more about chasing the bouncing ball. The best part of working at Patch was the people, talented fun people unfortunately the pay was not what was expected.

Cons

The Commission mark was put just outside of reach. Low monthly base with high unrealistic commission goals for local small business advertising. Micromanagers, while my manager was nice it did not seem as though he was fully qualified to lead a sales team having not prior field sales experience.

Great Sense of Community

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely motivating and energetic environment to work in. Every team member is there to help you every step of the way. There is no micro managing and you really feel like you are making a difference to the company and in charge of your own personal success and growth. Great sense of community and family striving for the same ultimate goal.

Cons

Re-start up mode can be sporadic. Must be ready to wear multiple hats.

Training sessions would be helpful in order to make sure all are on the same page when it comes to changes being rolled out.

Good

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, a very high ceiling to achieve, room to grow, fun atmosphere.

Cons

A lot of change has been happening, not a lot of review on whether you have been doing well or not - not able to gauge what needs to be changed on your end to become better.

Manage a little more. But otherwise you guys are killing it!

Concept bungled by AOL Management

I worked at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Treated like an autonomous part of AOL until layoffs

Cons

Disastrous handling of layoffs
    Did not mitigate the inefficiencies
    Made strange leadership decisions

Promote the right people
    Hire the right people in the right roles
    focus on the bones of the company not the flash

Unhappy with what Patch has become

I worked at Patch

Pros

Really strong teamwork, fun job, work from home, a coffee shop or on the scene, lots of digital experience

Cons

Uncertainty of future constantly, building a site to just watch it become nothing now

Keep your employees in the loop

Awesome Sales Environment

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing start-up culture. A great group of ambitious, hardworking, young people who are determined to bring Patch back.

There is a ton of room for personal growth, management isn't following your every move like many sales environments, and you're really allowed to work how you deem fit.

Cons

Being in start-up mode, things are always crazy. Sometimes your a sales person, sometimes your a account manager, sometimes your a recruiter. It's part of the fun, but it can be exhausting.

Just keep hiring more good people!

Amazing place to start your career

Current Employee - Small Media Business Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Small Media Business Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

An amazing team with extreme sense of community.
    Its great to wake up and be excited to come to the office everyday.
    We work together and everyone is here to help out.
    The success that happens around you pushes you to do your best and compete with the people you work with.

We are rebuilding a company with a ton of potential,I cannot wait to see where Patch ends up in the future.

Cons

AOL does not own us anymore, this may be a pro because we are rebuilding the whole company, but for our readers they only saw a decrease in the number of local editors. Its a re-startup company and we just need to let the people out there know that Patch is still here and in full force.

Great Co-workers, Awesome Atmosphere, and A Lot of Opportunity.

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am best friends with everybody i work with. Great benefits as well. Most Importantly, we are an extremely cohesive team. You are not micro-managed intensively, and this is especially pertinent to people applying for a BDR position. You are given the ability to grow, and our managers are incredible people always willing to provide advice. Great Starting Job.

Cons

As a Re-startup, a lot is going on. You must be flexible to understanding the changes of the new business model Hale Global is implementing.

The Management in the Boston Office is great. From experience working in the New York Office as well, everyone including Upper Management is open to understanding how we can grow and seeks to work with how you learn and process the work and sales environment. We are a team like no other.