www.patch.com

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.3

Charlie Hale

Pros
  • You get to work from home, which can be a wonderful thing for those with families (in 19 reviews)

• Second was the opportunity to work with great people in the field (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But it was the worst work-life balance I hope to ever encounter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management was completely disconnecting from those in the field (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Patch

Pros

Great benefits, office culture and time-off policy.

Cons

Career growth for my role was limited.

The Worst Management / Game Plan I've Ever Seen In A Company

Former Employee - Local Editor
    Former Employee - Local Editor

I worked at Patch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good opportunity at first sight to make a name for yourself as an editor and semi-entrepreneur of your own community website.

Cons

I've never had everything I did right as a lifelong journalist -- great ideas, initiative, work ethic, network of sources, knowledge and concern about the community I was covering -- shot down by such sheeple Patch called middle and upper managers who gave no credit or control to seasoned people like myself on the ground representing the company to the readers (the most important part of community news that was and still is completely ignored by the people that still somehow run Patch). The whole experience ended up being a nightmarish exercise in surviving passive-aggressive micromanaging behaviors that turned into personally obsessive in my case on the part of my immediate manager. I filed three letters of grievance to HR in regards to the outright harassment I received and absolutely nothing was done -- my manager was always protected.

Aside from zero regard to the way humans desire to not be personally harassed 24-7 and to have a life outside of work, Patch had no longterm plan for profitability, and the game plan as dictated by corporate for us changed minute by minute with, again, no regard to our on-the-ground sensibilities of what each of our unique audiences wanted. I woke up with anxiety attacks not only in deep dread of starting my day (and ending it) under the constant psychotic virtual watch of my sociopathic manager but also facing churning out god-awful mandatory daily posts such as "5 Things To Do Today" (to be posted at 6 a.m.!), "Best Places to Get Chicken Wings This Weekend" (my area had maybe four bars that served the same old frozen wings the same exact way), and "Activities for Mom and the Kids" -- list after list after list thought up by the brilliant corporate think-tank at Patch to "engage readers."

The only real push back from local editors (most of whom lacked any kind of protest to any kind of stupidity slathered on them due to fear of losing their jobs) came when we'd lost all money to pay freelancers, had no help at all to fill the sites -- and the minimum post count per day was cranked up from 7 to 12, all to be done by ourselves! The content was worn down to lists, picture posts, police blurbs, occasional fluff written by a reader, aggregated (i.e. stolen) links to real news, and maybe, just maybe -- one real story, researched and reported as fast as humanly possible by us, the local editor trained in multi-layered storytelling and formerly passionate about putting our skills to practice before working for Patch.

Somehow, Patch sites are still active today under the watch of about 70 editors (down from about 1,000 I think) who oversee 10 -12 sites each. How that is humanly possible I don't know. And neither do they.

Dissolve the product, if you can even call it a product anymore. Let homegrown community media do what it does best. Just go away.

It's ok

I have been working at Patch

Pros

Work at home
    Good place to start if you are a young journalist

Cons

Long hours
    Stretched thin
    Have to cover many towns

Hire more people.

Was great and painful at various times

Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Patch

Pros

Learned a lot, own boss, decent pay

Cons

Lots of corporate shenanigans, bad work life balance, they laid 90 percent off

Great Peolple

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Patch

Pros

I worked there when they still offered outside Marketing Managers. It was good at first then, quickly it became more about chasing the bouncing ball. The best part of working at Patch was the people, talented fun people unfortunately the pay was not what was expected.

Cons

The Commission mark was put just outside of reach. Low monthly base with high unrealistic commission goals for local small business advertising. Micromanagers, while my manager was nice it did not seem as though he was fully qualified to lead a sales team having not prior field sales experience.

Concept bungled by AOL Management

I worked at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Treated like an autonomous part of AOL until layoffs

Cons

Disastrous handling of layoffs
    Did not mitigate the inefficiencies
    Made strange leadership decisions

Promote the right people
    Hire the right people in the right roles
    focus on the bones of the company not the flash

Great Sense of Community

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely motivating and energetic environment to work in. Every team member is there to help you every step of the way. There is no micro managing and you really feel like you are making a difference to the company and in charge of your own personal success and growth. Great sense of community and family striving for the same ultimate goal.

Cons

Re-start up mode can be sporadic. Must be ready to wear multiple hats.

Training sessions would be helpful in order to make sure all are on the same page when it comes to changes being rolled out.

encouraging workplace

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time

Pros

My Patch office maintains a great atmosphere of levity and hard work. Overall high diligence and low tension. Managers and coworkers are encouraging and make for an unmistakably team feel. Major thing for me: super patient and motivating team leads / managers. Always ready to help. Good learning environment where people have clear responsibilities and get out what they put in.

Cons

new site features and changes still have a bit of unraveling to do. Occasional uncertainty as to what to tell customers about the near future of what Patch is offering in the way of website free user platforms

could use more training sessions that would talk about what verticals to capitalize on given current market trends.

Awesome Sales Environment

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing start-up culture. A great group of ambitious, hardworking, young people who are determined to bring Patch back.

There is a ton of room for personal growth, management isn't following your every move like many sales environments, and you're really allowed to work how you deem fit.

Cons

Being in start-up mode, things are always crazy. Sometimes your a sales person, sometimes your a account manager, sometimes your a recruiter. It's part of the fun, but it can be exhausting.

Just keep hiring more good people!

Amazing place to start your career

Current Employee - Small Media Business Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Small Media Business Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

An amazing team with extreme sense of community.
    Its great to wake up and be excited to come to the office everyday.
    We work together and everyone is here to help out.
    The success that happens around you pushes you to do your best and compete with the people you work with.

We are rebuilding a company with a ton of potential,I cannot wait to see where Patch ends up in the future.

Cons

AOL does not own us anymore, this may be a pro because we are rebuilding the whole company, but for our readers they only saw a decrease in the number of local editors. Its a re-startup company and we just need to let the people out there know that Patch is still here and in full force.