Patch Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
137 reviews filtered by
3.2
Charlie Hale

Pros
  • You get to work from home, which can be a wonderful thing for those with families (in 19 reviews)

• Second was the opportunity to work with great people in the field (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • But it was the worst work-life balance I hope to ever encounter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management was completely disconnecting from those in the field (in 8 reviews)

1. Great company to work. I would say taking initiative in projects is a must.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Patch

Pros

Culture and opportunities to work with very talented teams

Cons

No cons! However, I wish there were more opportunities given to interns.

2. Great learning experience, great co-workers, they had an awesome investment in technology. `

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training, invested in great technology when they were owned by Aol, they also had a great platform and awesome facilities in New York. I was home based though in the Detroit market.

Cons

Being home based, there was a lack of communication, plus I was laid off, which wasn't fun at all. Now that they are owned by Hale, seems things have changed greatly.

Could have communicated with their employees better, it was business as usual one day, the next day I didnt have a job anymore.

3. Patch

I worked at Patch

Pros

Great benefits, office culture and time-off policy.

Cons

Career growth for my role was limited.

5. This place was amazing to work at. Had the time of my life. Learned so much. And made geat money.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive

I worked at Patch

Pros

Awesome pay structure. Fun work environment.

Cons

When the new venture capital company took over patch, everything went downhill very fast. What is patch? How does it work? Complete waste of money for advertisers.

6. The Worst Management / Game Plan I've Ever Seen In A Company

Former Employee - Local Editor
    Former Employee - Local Editor

I worked at Patch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good opportunity at first sight to make a name for yourself as an editor and semi-entrepreneur of your own community website.

Cons

I've never had everything I did right as a lifelong journalist -- great ideas, initiative, work ethic, network of sources, knowledge and concern about the community I was covering -- shot down by such sheeple Patch called middle and upper managers who gave no credit or control to seasoned people like myself on the ground representing the company to the readers (the most important part of community news that was and still is completely ignored by the people that still somehow run Patch). The whole experience ended up being a nightmarish exercise in surviving passive-aggressive micromanaging behaviors that turned into personally obsessive in my case on the part of my immediate manager. I filed three letters of grievance to HR in regards to the outright harassment I received and absolutely nothing was done -- my manager was always protected.

Aside from zero regard to the way humans desire to not be personally harassed 24-7 and to have a life outside of work, Patch had no longterm plan for profitability, and the game plan as dictated by corporate for us changed minute by minute with, again, no regard to our on-the-ground sensibilities of what each of our unique audiences wanted. I woke up with anxiety attacks not only in deep dread of starting my day (and ending it) under the constant psychotic virtual watch of my sociopathic manager but also facing churning out god-awful mandatory daily posts such as "5 Things To Do Today" (to be posted at 6 a.m.!), "Best Places to Get Chicken Wings This Weekend" (my area had maybe four bars that served the same old frozen wings the same exact way), and "Activities for Mom and the Kids" -- list after list after list thought up by the brilliant corporate think-tank at Patch to "engage readers."

The only real push back from local editors (most of whom lacked any kind of protest to any kind of stupidity slathered on them due to fear of losing their jobs) came when we'd lost all money to pay freelancers, had no help at all to fill the sites -- and the minimum post count per day was cranked up from 7 to 12, all to be done by ourselves! The content was worn down to lists, picture posts, police blurbs, occasional fluff written by a reader, aggregated (i.e. stolen) links to real news, and maybe, just maybe -- one real story, researched and reported as fast as humanly possible by us, the local editor trained in multi-layered storytelling and formerly passionate about putting our skills to practice before working for Patch.

Somehow, Patch sites are still active today under the watch of about 70 editors (down from about 1,000 I think) who oversee 10 -12 sites each. How that is humanly possible I don't know. And neither do they.

Dissolve the product, if you can even call it a product anymore. Let homegrown community media do what it does best. Just go away.

7. It's ok

I have been working at Patch

Pros

Work at home
    Good place to start if you are a young journalist

Cons

Long hours
    Stretched thin
    Have to cover many towns

Hire more people.

8. Was great and painful at various times

Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Local Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Patch

Pros

Learned a lot, own boss, decent pay

Cons

Lots of corporate shenanigans, bad work life balance, they laid 90 percent off

9. Great Peolple

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Patch

Pros

I worked there when they still offered outside Marketing Managers. It was good at first then, quickly it became more about chasing the bouncing ball. The best part of working at Patch was the people, talented fun people unfortunately the pay was not what was expected.

Cons

The Commission mark was put just outside of reach. Low monthly base with high unrealistic commission goals for local small business advertising. Micromanagers, while my manager was nice it did not seem as though he was fully qualified to lead a sales team having not prior field sales experience.

10. Great Sense of Community

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely motivating and energetic environment to work in. Every team member is there to help you every step of the way. There is no micro managing and you really feel like you are making a difference to the company and in charge of your own personal success and growth. Great sense of community and family striving for the same ultimate goal.

Cons

Re-start up mode can be sporadic. Must be ready to wear multiple hats.

Training sessions would be helpful in order to make sure all are on the same page when it comes to changes being rolled out.

11. encouraging workplace

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Patch full-time

Pros

My Patch office maintains a great atmosphere of levity and hard work. Overall high diligence and low tension. Managers and coworkers are encouraging and make for an unmistakably team feel. Major thing for me: super patient and motivating team leads / managers. Always ready to help. Good learning environment where people have clear responsibilities and get out what they put in.

Cons

new site features and changes still have a bit of unraveling to do. Occasional uncertainty as to what to tell customers about the near future of what Patch is offering in the way of website free user platforms

could use more training sessions that would talk about what verticals to capitalize on given current market trends.