Patelco Credit Union

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.0

Erin Mendez

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, strong core values, member centric environment all a plus.

Cons

Low life, lazy legacy employees who do nothing all day long but complain like babies.

Keep up the excellent work the strong will survive.

Just keeps on getting worst...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is actually a pretty good place to stay. It is the senior managers that are morons. How many years or reorganization does it take to fix a screwed up company? They still could not get it done after five years.

Cons

Always a partial fix. New CEO comes, get rid of some bad weed, leaves some. Next new CEO comes, does same thing.

When you clean house please clean the ENTIRE house! The CEO should fire all senior managers that were hired by the previous CEO!

Overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits (medical/dental/vision), Patelco matches up to 5% of your 401k contribution, No work on Sundays and Holidays.

Cons

As a member service representative (MSR), most days you'll feel well overworked, well underpaid and well underappreciated. We do so much to say "Yes" to the members and put them first...to the extent where we must bend over backwards to do our jobs. And when there is a complaint to management, rules and policies gets altered to accommodate the members. I fully understand that credit unions are non-profit organizations completely for the members, but where do we draw the line? At the end of the day, there are no "attaboys", no pats on your back, no recognition to the awesome member service we provide on a daily basis - there is no motivation for us to continue to provide that top quality member service. We are all just another pawn.

Upper management says...to take care of the members and in turn management will take care of us. First off, Patelco’s pay is not competitive…at all. Even several members who flip hamburgers at McDonalds receive a larger paycheck than some fulltime Patelco employees. And tell me why a good handful of new hires are getting paid significantly more than employees who've been with the company more than 10 years. That’s not right!

Employee & witness to the demise of a formerly wonderful company

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Atwater, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Atwater, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Patelco offers a great benefit package to their employees. Most former peers were honest, hardworking and trustworthy people trying to earn a living for their families. People seem to genuinely care for one another.

Cons

Management has significantly brought down morale. Employees are left guessing which direction the company is going in. One year it's about numbers and sales, the next year it's a new CEO and numbers don't matter. New leadership methods are imposed on managers and supervisors who greatly lack in proper training themselves. Branches, departments and the call center is extremely understaffed and employees are forced to work odd schedules with no consistency. Employees are micro managed by unexperienced supervisors that are thrown into their positions with no leadership skills or training. The atmosphere is pure intimidation and regular employees do not have a voice.

Get it together. There is a reason long term employees are dropping like flies. It is an embarrassment to the organization that I began with. Patelco is sinking faster than the Titanic!

Disappointed

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Health Care, Vision, Dental.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive at all. Personal growth is not there. 3 CEOs in less than 7 years has the organization going crazy.

You continue to overwhelm front line management with so much, which is why they are leaving. You don't give your front line staff and front line management the staffing they need.

Great Place to Work! #itsreallynot

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of negative reviews here, but I believe that Patelco is an excellent place to work. If you’re anything like me, you look for certain qualities and—let’s face it—perks when selecting a company to work for. Patelco’s unique offerings include:

*The ability to consistently achieve mediocrity while being overworked and undervalued
    *The chance to work under the leadership of criminals and half-wits (search Patelco on cutimes.com!)
    *The opportunity to always make wrong decisions—say yes and you will be told you should have said no, and say no and you will be told you should have said yes! You can never win!
    *The guidance and decision making abilities of a seriously dysfunctional senior leadership team, not to mention a wonderfully overbearing board of directors and a vindictive Chairman of the Board
    *A consistent company-wide philosophy of starting, and then stopping, and then completely disregarding strategic initiatives, thereby wasting time and misusing valuable resources
    *The opportunity to watch undeserving people with made-up management titles play hide and seek with their co-worker spouses
    *A marketing department full of poetic stoners, who—on the rare day they decide to come to the office—are always working hard at writing their novels or making coffee rather than actually pushing Patelco’s products

If the above appeals in any way to you, and it should, consider Patelco a real home run!

Cons

The only bad thing about working here is that what goes around, comes around. The previous criminal’s—ugh, I mean CEO’s—era started in 2009, and he and his acolytes made sure to clean house and eliminate as many “legacy” employees as they could. Typical business strategy, so fair enough, but the new batch of execs attempted to leave their stamp on Patelco, at the expense of….you guessed it, Patelco. During this time, Patelco shifted from a member and community focused organization into one that was striving to be a bank, without actually admitting it. The old philosophies and mission were thrown out. Oh how times were good for the new regime and terrible for the old! You could be as selfish as you wanted, like the Prince of Home Loans or the Emperor in Collections, and if what you were doing was good for you and you only, it was celebrated—negative impact be damned.

Choo choo, the self-serving sales train is leaving, and if you can’t get on board, thanks for your hard work but don’t let the door slam hit you while we kick you off the caboose.

But when that CEO was ousted and thrown under the bus by the Board last year, yet another new era began with the current CEO, and the people who did the ousting were now the ones being ousted. The senior team brought in by the ousted CEO has all been forced to leave one by one, suffering humiliation and exposure along the way, and their hires—what’s left of them—cower in fear as the new CEO’s regime rises.

The strangest thing about Patelco’s “new” philosophy is that it is basically the original philosophy—to focus on the membership and bring value to products, essentially returning Patelco to what it was in its pre-“bank” days. Fair enough, but don’t forget that most everyone who was in tune with this new-old mission was kicked to the curb. So it is yet another uphill climb to get back to where Patelco was just 4 years prior. The new blood is blissfully ignorant of what came before, and times are now good for the new CEO’s team—but once the Chairman of the Board decides to sack the current CEO, the cycle will begin again and the people who support the current direction will be in the hot seat. Therein lies the rub.

But like I said, GREAT place to work.

None, really. I don't believe that management has a habit of listening or caring anyway.

Cheers to The New Patelco!

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are affordable and the retirement plan is pretty good. The parking is free at HQ. Coffee and tea anytime you need it and you can help yourself to the four chemically tasting water machines inconveniently located in random corners on the 3rd and 4th floors.

Cons

Job seekers beware! Allow me to save you from the heartache and pain that you will experience in your Patelco Career. Let’s start from the top:

Once we finally get you here by way of a phone screen and a few awkward interviews with seemingly inexperienced managers, you are scheduled for training.

Training is completely underwhelming. You sit in a room and learn to fall asleep with your eyes open. There is some coloring, talking and more talking. You don’t leave with a good feeling or a better understanding of the culture because big surprise – there is no culture.

After your initial experience with HR/Training… you never hear from them again. Unless you are one of the lucky ones who get to sit in a conference room with the talent group for your walking papers. Company paid unemployment is actually a goal for employees as of late.

After that, your exciting career to nowhere begins. You get a cube and slowly you are introduced to your job. We are all overworked, underpaid and completely over the whole member rah-rah rally. if you take the job you will learn that the member is #1 and well you are... 1.1. Yes, we were given the 1.1 out of pity and complete oversight that if you want members to be treated well you must treat employees well. Once the leadership team realized the implication of their member's first message on employees.. employees became 1.1 (before that employees were not even a number).

As a somewhat new employee and a part of the “New” Patelco, I am completely amazed by how the leadership team divides the company into 3 groups. Job seekers think discrimination on a large scale. The new Patelco is treated like saints coming to save old Patelco from their evil ways when in fact it is old Patelco that gives the place some culture and history. Old Patelco actually knows how to operate outdated systems, lack of policies and procedures. Old Patelco actually knows who to contact for what and when because god forbid it being listed anywhere where someone can find it. New Patelco is set up to fail because we have to go way back in time in order to do our jobs somewhat well.

It is amazing to have a leadership team with virtually no advanced education (meaning Master’s degrees from reputable institutions). I think in one company meeting the CEO said “hears like” a few dozen times. What is hears like? Maybe something they say in New College Online School of CEO Studies? I read the monthly column and often wonder how many English classes were skipped but that is neither here no there.

Save yourself the confusion and run... not walk far far away.

You all are doing a wonderful job creating divides, confusing the masses and getting rid of the "dead" weight. What you will learn is that you cannot fix a company with inconsistent messages and large displays of blatant discrimination. The toxicity is at the top and until one of the senior leaders stands up and advocates for the people there will always be large numbers of unhappy workers. You have to treat employees like you want them to treat the member – otherwise get used to talent walking out the door and leaving horrible reviews on places like this.

The so call SF branch supervisor is a paid troll for the current corrupt upper management.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworker who can always be counted on to assist you when needed. They are extremely supportive. 401k plan is one of the best.

Cons

This so call SF branch supervisor is giving the branch management a bad reputation. Does it make you feel good to call people names because they don't agree with the way the company is treating them. Look at the majority of the reviews and see that 90% of the issue are identical. Calling yourself educated because you feel that your supervisor position makes you better than the other staffs. This is the problem with patelco is that some of you in management are so damn arrogant. I have been a manager at the branch for many years and have always encourage open communication with my staff. I listen to their concerns and built a great trusting relationship with them. I do not degrade them for speaking out about their concerns. You, SF branch supervisor, need to take a class on how to manage your people though trust and respect.

Don't be so arrogant and treat your staff with respect. They deserve better!

Small team. Great people.

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Patelco Credit Union as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Very enjoyable to collaborate with. Management provided good project leadership.

Cons

No real cons. My tenure was short, as I was a contractor. Overall good experience.

Not A Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Vice President in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, long time employees are great co-workers

Cons

Poor morale and working conditions, poor training, hostile work envro lacking trust, no work life balance, executive team is new and heartless, employees are treated as servants with fear and long time employees are stuck and not appreciated. Company currently has 7% of jobs open and more turn over than ever and has low staffing levels, in 99% tile for low staffing in industry. Painful.

Clean up your act, dumping all of long term exec management was not only cruel in many cases, but has only made it worse for our company, new people have no sense of history or culture. Treat you employees better and pay them better. You are wrecking the company and the Board of Directors should be ashamed of what they have done over the past 5 years plus.