Pathfinder International Reviews

Purnima Mane

1. Great mission and colleagues, and positive changes underway

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

It's hard to argue with the empowering mission of Pathfinder, and the community-based approaches Pathfinder uses to achieve sustainable change around the world. There are many top-notch people in country offices and in the US who really believe in the mission and give from their hearts and souls to achieve it, regardless of their role. Old systems are being updated and technology is being better utilized to connect staff across the globe. Pathfinder is also investing in leadership development at multiple levels, to ensure that the organization's stated values are visible in everyday behaviors.

Cons

There is a lot of great work to be done with limited resources. This can be stressful, along with the constant need to raise more funds and win more grants. This is not different than in other similar organizations I have worked in, and seems pretty standard in non-profits and in international development. Some managers have great technical knowledge but lack people management skills.

Advice to Management

Continue current efforts to increase information flow and empower staff at all levels. Lots of great new initiatives underway!

2. HIghly recommend

Current Employee - Middle Management in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International (More than a year)

Pros

People who work at Pathfinder care about each other, and provide much assistance where needed, around the world. You feel great working here knowing all the positive effort, and that you've contributed to it. Many beneficial changes have occurred within the organization, and everyone walks around smiling. In Watertown there are also great benefits, including free garage parking and a soon to be completed gym in the building.

Cons

There can be very busy, stressful times, but its no different than at any other company. The end result is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive momentum going!

3. Non profit equals non caring environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Pathfinder International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission, some helpful and kind employees

Cons

low morale, no teamwork within departments, all ET members are awful and won't welcome change, the President shows little interest or presence to its home office employees. For a organization with a great mission, they sure don't act it out.

Advice to Management

A lot of changes need to happen. New ET members and management training. No one has people skills there.

5. Caring employees, influx, disorganized management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Pathfinder International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring employees concered with their fellow man (or woman in this case) and each other. Many young women right out of college intent on saving the world kept the environment fresh.

Cons

The management was in constant flux and disorganized. It made employees nervous and wary.

6. Change was inevitable and they are making the correct ones

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Watertown, MA

I worked at Pathfinder International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Manager Capable Director Open Communications within team All in all it's a solid place to work. The team is growing and moving in the right direction with strong leadership

Cons

Low Salary Poor Work / Life Balance Executive team elitism As I watch more and more people leave Pathfinder it's often stated it was because they were not "appreciated or respected". This is most often caused by their upper management not having a solid understanding of the work load they take on and accomplish each day. The core benefits of working at a Non-Profit, including work/life balance need to be reviewed and made a higher priority.

Advice to Management

Facilitate more transparency Treat all tiers of employees with respect Review work/Life balance

7. Great co-workers, but felt overworked

Pros

friendly, smart co-workers with interesting backgrounds and experiences that were passionate about the company's mission.

Cons

felt overworked, management seemed unorganized

I have been working at Pathfinder for almost two years in a junior role

Current Employee - Junior Level Staff in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Junior Level Staff in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven organization: Most of the staff are passionate about our work and the organization is well-respected among other nonprofits doing similar work. Benefits: Pathfinder offers great benefits for an organization of its size (health insurance, generous PTO, retirement plan with no need to contribute) Staff: In general, I've found many of the staff to be pleasant to work with. There are some staff who are certainly more challenging/don't seem to care or support the mission of the organization, but they would be the outliers

Cons

The reason for the 3 star rating really comes down to two things: lack of growth opportunities and senior management's lack of leadership and transparency. As a junior-level employee, there is very limited opportunities for growth. My limited job description precludes me from taking on responsibilities that prepare me for leadership roles in this field; as such I feel that I am not growing at all in my current role. My boss has been receptive about giving me more responsibilities, but I still feel that my skills and experience are underutilized. I also feel that the senior management does not value input from junior employees. Never in my two years here have I been asked to serve on a task force or provide input on big picture organizational goals. Moreover, no one seems to know how these task forces are formed (or even that they exist) until our monthly meeting where senior executives debrief the staff on what they've come up with (with no additional input from the rest of the organization). This, coupled with low morale in general, could partially explain our high turn over rate lately - people are literally leaving every week.

Advice to Management

Almost all of the reviewers have commented on poor management practices - clearly things need to change, and fast if you want to avoid more staff departures. From the perspective of a junior employee, you really need to make an effort to be more transparent about decision-making within the organization and make an effort to engage staff at all levels within the organization. I was incredibly passionate Pathfinder's mission when I first joined, but am now starting to question whether or not this field is right for me based on my experience with this organization.

Jan 20, 2015 – Recruiter

As painful as it is to read, we really appreciate your honesty. We have heard similar comments from others and are in the process of building programs that will begin to address career development ... More

9. Important mission, experienced managers, reasonable opportunities for growth and for flexibility.

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pathfinder works for an incredibly important mission of sexual and reproductive health and rights around the world. I consider this work my life's mission and feel Pathfinder is the best place to work on the issues about which I care in an effective, important way. I feel lucky that the salary and benefits are generous (retirement contribution even without matching) and this has contributed to my staying with Pathfinder.

Cons

Pathfinder isn't too big so there isn't a ton of room for professional growth long-term, but it does happen and medium-term I think managers make room for progression. We all do work hard, so while there are complaints of work-life balance at Pathfinder, I believe we each have the responsibility to make it work and I think managers are generally flexible that balance can be achieved.

Advice to Management

Keep up the progress in communication to all staff about your goals and initiatives. The monthly all-staff meetings and Extended Leadership Team and shift to our extranet/ishare have been big steps forward.

We are all trying to leave!

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very passionate and dedicated people who love the work that they do. However, they tolerate being treated horribly for fear of loosing their job if they speak up.

Cons

While I have not been at Pathfinder for very long, it does not take long to realize that the organization is dysfunctional. The new CEO (2 years) is not a leader and can't manage. The top senior program leaders talk behind the CEO's back about her lack of program knowledge. I hear that the Board does not seem to care or want to know, staff are miserable and morale is very low, and in spite of some new senior leaders that have been brought in, there are some long timers who will not allow for or tolerate any change. Nothing is being done about senior managers who mistreat employees. Since I have been here many people have left as a a result of the poor treatment and lack of attention. I don't see a future for Pathfinder under the current leadership.

Advice to Management

The CEO must take a long hard look at the things that are not working and then have the courage to make some serious changes. My colleagues all complain about how they are treated but no one will do anything about it - they are scared. One of my colleagues even went to talk to the CEO and still nothing was done. Almost everyone I know islooking for another job and the opportunity to leave the organization.

Jan 20, 2015 – Recruiter

It is disappointing to read that this is your current experience at Pathfinder. As a result of your feedback and the results from the previous employment engagement survey we recognize we need a new ... More

11. Fast-paced, diverse work environment

I have been working at Pathfinder International part-time

Pros

Everyone who works here is dedicated and passionate about the work that Pathfinder does. Departments work hard to coordinate their efforts in supporting the complex programs Pathfinder manages. Beautiful office, and one of the nicer non-profits I've worked at.

Cons

People in the organization can be a bit hierarchical, but not really any more than any other company. Newer systems are well coordinated, but most things done over 2 years ago are disorganized and confusing.

Advice to Management

Continue to revise older systems.

Jan 20, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your honest feedback. We agree with you! We have already introduced a number of new systems and are always looking for ways to improve upon what we have in place. If you have any ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed