Pathfinder International

2.7

Purnima Mane

Fast-paced, diverse work environment

I have been working at Pathfinder International part-time

Pros

Everyone who works here is dedicated and passionate about the work that Pathfinder does. Departments work hard to coordinate their efforts in supporting the complex programs Pathfinder manages. Beautiful office, and one of the nicer non-profits I've worked at.

Cons

People in the organization can be a bit hierarchical, but not really any more than any other company. Newer systems are well coordinated, but most things done over 2 years ago are disorganized and confusing.

Continue to revise older systems.

We are all trying to leave!

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some very passionate and dedicated people who love the work that they do. However, they tolerate being treated horribly for fear of loosing their job if they speak up.

Cons

While I have not been at Pathfinder for very long, it does not take long to realize that the organization is dysfunctional. The new CEO (2 years) is not a leader and can't manage. The top senior program leaders talk behind the CEO's back about her lack of program knowledge. I hear that the Board does not seem to care or want to know, staff are miserable and morale is very low, and in spite of some new senior leaders that have been brought in, there are some long timers who will not allow for or tolerate any change. Nothing is being done about senior managers who mistreat employees. Since I have been here many people have left as a a result of the poor treatment and lack of attention. I don't see a future for Pathfinder under the current leadership.

The CEO must take a long hard look at the things that are not working and then have the courage to make some serious changes. My colleagues all complain about how they are treated but no one will do anything about it - they are scared. One of my colleagues even went to talk to the CEO and still nothing was done. Almost everyone I know islooking for another job and the opportunity to leave the organization.

Unless you are specifically looking to work in this industry, save yourself the trouble.

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Once people open up and acknowledge you, there are some genuinely nice people. There is a change in motion but it's like stopping a speeding train and then pushing it backwards; slow. There is coffee, tea and milk for everyone. Summer hours. 403b contributions.

Cons

No one will talk to you when you are new, you spend majority of your life at this place and you are isolated in the beginning. Some Sr staff believe they can talk/email you in whichever way they please with no reprimanding. There is no time for even lunch because there is not enough staff for all the work. If you thought you were getting paid well, divide it by the number of hours you work. There is nothing as appealing as promoting/hiring staff with no experience than giving to staff who are doing the job already for years, seems to be the theme in 3 departments. All the people who travel get offices that see the outdoors and life.

A personal thank you can go a long way. More family events. Recognizing staff and their family for when the staff steps up to do multiple jobs, stay long hours constantly and /or disrupt their family time to assist Pathfinders mission. Take notice of your employees hours in the office.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission, poor leadership

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well formulated and vital mission
    Some great people
    Great potential
    Real commitment to social justice and most vulnerable populations

Cons

No vision for the future
    Under-investment in operations and employees - very little training, career progression or opportunity
    Gap between management claims of transparency and day to day experience
    Poor teamwork modeled by executive team
    Management does not trust employees => constant micromanagement

Trust, grow and reward your employees

Very disappointing - mission statement does not apply to lower level employees in US

I worked at Pathfinder International

Pros

great people, great location, free parking

Cons

very poor senior management, very little opportunity for growth and advancement

Invest more money in non-management staff and less in wall decorations
    Ensure company mission statement applies to all Pathfinder employees and not just to poor women in developing countries

P.I. is made up of a caring and highly qualified community of people working towards a shared goal.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Pathfinder International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

~Well educated, enthusiastic, experienced, highly qualified staff
    ~Very comfortable and friendly work environment
    ~Good salaries
    ~Active Board of Directors

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

I think you are on the right track.

Getting better day by day

Current Employee - Technical Advisor  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and I am proud to be associated with it. While the immediate past president drove the organization into the ground, the new president is working diligently to turn it around. It will take time. Under the old president the systems were allowed to age, poor behavior was tolerated and encouraged, top talent was not identified and recruited, the president was a figure head and not a leader (his second hand was the real CEO and that was not good) and that takes time to change. The new president, now building a new Executive Team, is making significant changes. There is more recognition of employees and their efforts, information is shared more regularly and things are more transparent than ever. There is still work to do and I am confident in the new president that she will make the right decisions for the organization. There has been a lot of progress in the short time she has been in the seat. We are not quite out of the woods yet but we are well on our way. check back in one more year!

Cons

We are still resources strapped to accomplish the work every day. So many systems need to be replaced and updated, this takes time. The board of directors was in the dark but appears to be waking up a bit as they conducted a real review of the president this year - let's see if it will continue?

Continue to invest in the organization. we need more staff, we need talented staff and need to let some of the less talented staff go. Please continue to build the leadership and the level beneath and invest in management professional development. Continue to build morale with the type of activities that have been taking place more recently. Continue to address the poor behavior and make improvements - Stream line the core activities and the areas in which we work so that our resources have the biggest bang for the buck. demand that the leaders in the program areas get along and work together.

Hard work, long hours with limited resources and recognition for proven change in women's lives.

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission. Field work in country is impressive and works. Talented staff give 150% to achieve the mission as effectively as possible. Under new president for 18 months, the organization is trying to improve/ implement/update static processes after two decades under the same president.

Cons

Dogmatic leaders on the executive team paralyze and largely prevent the organization from considering risk or change. Work of organization chases funding which muddies purpose because the organization does work outside of mission (because its funded). President is overly deferential to the board and board president, board leadership has too much say in day-to-day administration. Not enough resources to get the job done in 40 - 50 hour week. Long hours taken for granted. Achievements and effort go unrecognized unless outcome is uber extraordinary.

Increase staff or reduce scope of work. President needs to lead, instead of deferring to the executive team or the board president and other board leaders.

Power struggles of senior managment with no clear leader as President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great mission - dedicated employees - who really want to change women's health globally.

Cons

Managment team infighting leads to stress throughout the organization - no leadership from President who always seems too distracted and not really talking to the staff individually.

Need to bring in a few new members with strong knowleddge of working internationally -

Middle of the road nonprofit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Pathfinder International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Many nice people, some perks. Overall the culture has upsides and downsides

Cons

Too many good people leave Pathfinder. That sort of vacuum makes staying at the company unappealing in the long term.

Nurture talent and make sure that managers have management skills.

Worked for Pathfinder International? Contribute to the Community!