Patpatia & Associates

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sunny Patpatia

Great Introduction to the workforce.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsThe job involves a lot of responsibility from the very first day, which at first can be overwhelming but once you adjust is both exhilarating and rewarding. The experience is very hands-on and you personally get to manage your own projects and communicate with clients. However management is good about providing guidance and support when necessary. The clients you work with are high profile, so the projects are both interesting and really pertain to the real world. Finally, there are travel opportunities (e.g. New York).

ConsThe day starts fairly early (8am) in order to fit better with the schedules of clients on the East Coast. Sometimes when a project is nearing delivery you may have to put in substantial overtime.

It was quite literally the worst professional experience I have had over the course of my career.

ProsAbsolutely nothing other than having pleasant interactions with co-workers, who were mostly undergraduate students at UC Berkeley.

ConsThe CEO, Sunny, is a terrible manager. I learned very little during my time there - only that I should stay far away from this company and leave as soon as the opportunity arose. As a new employee, there is no structure to your training and the work you are given. I produced good work but was consistently scolded (yes, I said scolded) but the CEO regarding my "attitude". The first time it happened, I was caught off guard because I had never interacted with Sunny and had no trace of an 'attitude'. I can't really convey how shocking it was to be treated like this, but I was fresh out of undergrad and was unsure if this was how the working world was supposed to operate. There are lots of negative reviews out there that point to Sunny's behavior and treatment of his employees. Believe, me they are all true. If you are reading this review and are considering employment with this firm, please do yourself a favor and choose unemployment over taking a role at Patpatia.

Overall just a poor experience- people there didn't seem happy

ProsSmall firm allows people just starting out to handle a lot of responsibility. Office is modern/nice, and the pay is decent

ConsMundane menial work, depressing atmosphere, poor leadership/management. A lot of the times there would be no conversations going on in the office throughout the entire day. Hours are sometimes extremely long, and communication between management and analysts is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ridiculous expectation for little pay

Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsLiving near the city.

ConsThis was the most miserable place that I have worked in my career. You are treated with little to no respect by management and micro managed by a 23 year old. You are expected to work ridiculous hours because they lack planning skills and don't trust their employees. There were numerous times that I worked until 8-9pm and only was given a one hour lunch and the associate talked to me extremely rudely when I left. There is no reason your boss should be speaking to you in a sarcastic tone because he isn't capable of doing his job effectively. News flash: It is illegal not to give your employees extra breaks during a 12-13 hour work day. I got out as fast as I could. This company is draining, a waste of your time and I wouldn't recommend anyone working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

One week was enough.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat location in Berkeley. Nice office. Work with prominent companies.

ConsOwner is a poor leader. Owner is a poor teacher. Unfortunately, the culture promotes long working hours with no reward structure and creates an intense fear of management. I respected myself too much to work here for longer than one week.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet strategy and focus on client acquisition, but let professional management work with the employees.

High Expectations, Lots of experience, Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting, fast-paced work
    Management will notice and recognize small achievements
    Great exposure for professionals with 1-3 years of experience
    Management's knowledge and network is impressive in the industry
    Blunt and straightforward accolades/constructive criticism

ConsTechnical resources are only purchased when absolutely necessary for a project (promotes resourcefulness)
    Some micromanagement due to limited experience of some new hires

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more selective and willing to pay a little more to keep/get the best people around!

Valuable experience in learning what not to do in the corporate world. Terrible place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocated in the bay area

ConsHeavy handed management with unrealistic expectations. No matter how hard you try the final fault is always at the intern level which is often communicated in the most unprofessional way.

The owner has some strange notions about running this company. Completely bereft of any empathy this man could learn a thing or two from the multitude of successful businesses surrounding him in the bay area . Thinking outside the box, team building etc are alien to this company.

A tight 3 level structure : owner -manager -junior manager. The latter two are steeped in the toxic company culture. No room for any meaningful employment or professional growth even though advertised.

Interns/analysts are disposable and let go at the whim of the "management". Consequently there is a huge revolving door with unsuspecting victims in and ex-employees out , which epitomizes the "use, abuse and kick out" method- a cheap way to get work done with no commitment or financial investment.

A perfect place for the litigious candidate who brings this company to its knees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be a miracle if you are in business in 5 years

Not a good experience. Perfunctory work, reminds me of the film "Office Space"

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsNice to have some consulting experience on your resume. You learn about financial terminology, and how financial institutions like to hide their assets off shore in tax havens.

ConsSo many cons, but the one that stood out was disrespectful management, including the Principal/owner and his underling. They are pretty much the entire firm, longest tenured of course, and everyone else is disposable. You will not get any respect. I have seen the Principal/owner scream/shout at a few employees, including myself. I dont care if he was an executive at a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, nothing to learn from. The office is so depressing, it has this Dunder Mifflin vibe, definitely doesn't feel contemporary. The work at times can be done perfunctorily which makes things worse. And you are literally always on your toes, walking on egg shells as another viewer put. I always felt sick to my stomach coming in to work, I swear I thought I was developing ulcers. While I was there I knew of 5 analyst that had moved on in a span of less than 3 months. That speaks for itself. Im just happy to have moved on. I would highly dissuade anyone from working here, unless you are desperate, and even, then you will highly dislike it unless you are a sociopath.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually invest in your analyst. Be respectful. Teach.

People are "let go" without warning or reason

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsYou dive right into research and are completely informed on all project details and goals. You are given a high level of responsibility right off the bat. Good if you can last a year there then put it on your resume; leave before they let you go.

ConsThey do not let people grow in this company. You will not get close to anything near a tenure or time for a raise; you'll be "let go" without messing up or any type of forewarning. Everyone is constantly walking on egg shells because they see others get let go all the time. Management is controlled by Sunny Patpatia himself and his senior analyst. The rest are for disposable use.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooks like your plan is working.

Unprofessional Upper Management

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation is pretty good, especially for those coming right of college with no experience. Business analyst usually starts at about $22.50/hr + benefits (sick, vacation, health). You are exposed to a broad range of sectors within the financial industries. You learn how to be a perfectionist, or at present presentation.

ConsThis can be the most terrifying place to work since management expects perfection starting on day 1 of your employment. Upper management has little respect for their employees. There is extreme micro-managing because there little trust in the organization. It seems like everyone is always walking on egg shells. Independent working and thinking is not a top priority, as upper management prefer their analysts to just "do" the task at hand, instead of understanding the bigger picture. Communication is very lacking in their organization. Only the top management know what projects are about, while analysts are told to perform specific researching tasks --without ever know why they are doing what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse like scare/fear tactics and instead, learn to build trust and respect among your organization, it would make for a happier and more productive work environment. Good luck.

Worked for Patpatia & Associates? Contribute to the Community!