Patrick Engineering Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Jeffrey Schuh

Patrick's been great!

Pros

I have been exposed to a wide variety of work, and have seen my work translate into design-build construction, built by Patrick's construction team. Patrick has some great programs for employees such as Project Management training, an active Young Professionals group, regular Lunch and Learns, and a variety of company events throughout the year. I have found the people at all levels to be great to work with. We are busy, and I am never board.

Cons

None really. Patrick's benefits are only average, but I have been given flex time on a few occasions, and the compensation seems to be a bit above market, so it balances out.

Advice to Management

One of the benefits of Patrick is that the leadership team knows most of the staff by name and face. Don't lose the personal touch as the company grows.

2. Leaders Only

Former Employee - Gone in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Gone in Lisle, IL

I worked at Patrick Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Those who put in their heart and soul will be discovered and shown to the door. If you like to skate by with a mediocre performance you may just have found your new parking place. The company is on an elusive hunt for leaders, no meaningful description of a leader had ever been provided.

Advice to Management

Provide a clear concise direction for your business. Get your team on board and provide continual and constant communication. The feeling of team and team building with a clear direction and career future will go a long way. Focus on your human assets to bring you long tern business assets.

3. Needs improvment

I have been working at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom to do your job

Cons

compensation is mediocre and lots of office politics

It's been fun, but challenging to frustrating.

I have been working at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of company owned vehicles to use.

Cons

Long hours are expected with little benefits for months on end. Often resources are not available to productively complete assignments. No real plan for people's development is put in place.

Advice to Management

Not enough meat in the middle to get work done.

Great Firm, But Needs to Make Some Re-adjustments

I worked at Patrick Engineering full-time

Pros

Wide range of project types and locations, very good middle management, impeccably good. Team leaders, and senior/project engineers are unmatched, and go well out of their way to help entry level staff learn and develop. Nice office spaces, outstanding marketing department, good starting salary, good connections with transportation entities.

Cons

Keeping things constructive here: -Vital Admin/HR roles have been reduced and overworked -Poor performance slips by unnoticed, good performance goes unrewarded Lots of these reviews say Top Heavy, and I disagree. It just seems top heavy because its shaped like an hour glass. The real problem is that there are not enough middle managers/engineers. Mid level engineers are overworked to the brink and leave, only to be replaced with entry level staff.

Advice to Management

I loved working here, but some adjustments do need to be made. 1. Hire more middle level experienced engineers, and once they're on board keep them rewarded and happy. 2. Do a better job of recognizing poor performance and eliminating it. 3. Keep your eyes on staff retention and satisfaction, and less on the contribution margin. contribution margin doesn't effect the quality day to day work, an employee's eagerness does.

7. Great people at a great company

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Lisle, IL

I worked at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Patrick Engineering for 3 years. I worked directly with who is now the President and I still consider him one of the best supervisor's I've had. The environment is positive and the employees are all quality people with great work ethics.

Cons

The only con I can think of is no longer relevant since the person responsible for my negative opinion is no longer with the company.

I'm hoping that things will change someday.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Clean, modern office building. 2. Aesthetically-pleasing, well-produced marketing literature. 3. There are still a number of capable, intelligent technical experts working in the various Business Groups.

Cons

1. Overtime is unpaid. 2. No cost-of-living salary adjustments, no bonuses. 3. Short-term metrics and utilization take priority over career development and professional training. 4. Questionable hiring practices; rampant nepotism/cronyism; lack of cultural diversity 5. Rampant micromanagement. 6. High percentage of involuntary turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often. They will be the future of Patrick.

Slightly above average salary, but abhorrent corporate culture.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty brochures thanks to an incredible marketing department. The salary starts above average to get you on board, but don't expect any raises thereafter.

Cons

Poor communication and no resources invested in employee development. Rampant micromanagment with the two-fold detriment of decreasing work productivity and occupying managers time that could better be spent on business development.

Advice to Management

Providing employees with the proper training would provide bountiful dividends not just in improved work and efficiency, but also show the employees that they are valued.

Enjoyed my time here but found a better opportunity

I worked at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Fair compensation, Fair raises, Nice offices, Variety of project work, Relocation options, Willingness to invest in the tools to get the job done

Cons

Wanted me to work a lot of overtime with no hopes of compensation, Little professional development, Often I felt like if I wanted to gain more experience in a certain area I was pressured to do it on my own time, Managers try to have their hand in everything instead of delegating responsibilities

Advice to Management

delegate roles and tasks

Underwhelming

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I worked at Patrick Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From my perspective they treated the engineers well. They are the ones bringing in the money. They offered summer hours and managers were flexible with the schedule.

Cons

The overhead groups were completely understaffed, and hard work (for overhead staff) was very rarely recognized. Inconsistencies with management and poor communication on all levels.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, and give credit where credit is due. When you recognize an employee for their hard work it motivates them to continue working harder.

RSS Feed </> Embed