Patterson Companies Reviews

Great Atmosphere and people

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Patterson Companies

Pros

- Good Culture
    -Good Benefits
    -Great People
    -Good business model/competitive advantage
    Overall a great place to work as you have the ability to really drive change and help shape the business.

Cons

-Not very much room for upward movement unless you want to relocate or get into a full blown sales role.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management as the cons are what they are and it is not possible to change that. Upper management is very fiscally responsible and their vision of the future is sustainable and relevant. I feel as though this company truly has it together and is setup for long term success.

Refreshing work-life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies

Pros

I came into the role with an educational background, though little professional experience. I found the team to be supportive, encouraging and willing to train. I learned a lot about the industry and was encouraged to shadow in other areas to look for advancement opportunities.

I also liked that there was an exercise facility that team members were encouraged to use, an adjacent walking path and year round playful activities like grill parties in the summer, baseball-themed contests, indoor mini golf course contest (through the VP offices) and charity raffles around the holidays. I appreciated being able to participate in community involvement efforts.

Cons

I've never worked in an environment with so few outgoing people. It was awkward to walk down a hallway and the passers wouldnt say 'Good Morning', 'Hello' or even make eye contact.

Mid-level managers were visible and engaged, but there were many layers and the higher managers were in the same building but not available/accessible to the regular staff.

Advice to Management

Be present.

It never became more than a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were not many perks to working here. The overall attitude was not very friendly, very judgmental, and it felt like high school.

Cons

Management was very cliquey and immature at times. It was like a campaign for prom king and queen most of the time. Very fake attitudes.
    The salaries are a joke, and the raises are not worth it. They make you jump through hoops to fill this and that questionnaire out asking how to make things better and you get to vent about the same things over and over again but see nothing come of it.
    They pacify you by having you fill these out so when you bring up issues in your reviews they can say they are working on it.

Advice to Management

grow up and open your eyes to every employee and their potential, not just your friends!

For 20+ years my experience was positive, until a reorganization took place eliminating my position along with others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting B-B, some travel, pleasant physical environment.

Cons

Mid-management created projects to better their appearance to upper levels creating stressful environment

Advice to Management

Plan projects allowing adequate time for completion. Poor planning creates chaos, extra work, burnout

6. Great!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, good job. Work with multiple web and windows programs. They have about 30 developers on staff. Pay is a little low for software developers, but it is also in a small town with low housing costs, so what do you expect?

Cons

Was let go unexpectedly on GOOD terms with half of my department due to budget cuts. But, they gave us no notice whatsoever.

7. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Patterson Companies

Pros

Great company. Large company with a small company feel.

Cons

Sometimes decisions are made regardless of the interests of the stakeholders. Result has been turnover.

Advice to Management

Change is good but don't forget about those people that are supporting the legacy systems. They need backfill help.

8. OK

I worked at Patterson Companies

Pros

Benefits were good for the most part..

Cons

Limited personal time - expected to be available 24 x 7, rarely train, newly hired employees very rude

9. Highly ethical and well performing company headquartered in the Midwest.

Current Employee - Security Operations Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Security Operations Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible in regards to work options (work from home, hour shift, etc). Great management team who listens to the employees.

Cons

Technically a bit behind the times, though they are taking great strides to remedy that.

Advice to Management

Spend more time down among the staff. Most of us don't bite!

10. Leadership Issues - Corporate HQ

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy commute, Cheap Lunch, Well Maintained Facilities, Free Hand cream in the bathrooms!

Cons

Passive aggressive management, Boys club, Low pay, Expensive health care benefits, terrible matching 401k, quietly fires people when threat of not making annual revenue target, Leadership will listen to consultants and ignore employees/managers, reviews are few and far between. VP's will make commitments/promises at hiring then lie that they ever made a commitment (get it in writing or don't take the job). Management goes behind the backs of certain managers undermining them to their consultants and staff. Their status of "most trusted company in America" is a joke. The culture breads unethical behavior especially in operations!

Advice to Management

The culture is toxic...fix it! There are a few VP's that yield a lot of power, they lie and stab managers in the back. Fix this!! Know one will come forward because of this power. Fix this too!

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company cares about customers and employees. Great way to start or return to the medical arena, but also a great long term career for the disciplined person. Great starting salary and reimbursements plus uncapped commissions.

Cons

De-centralized, which means some branches are not as good as others. Too much of the training is up to the individual, it takes too long to get all the training completed.

Advice to Management

Create a better standard for training outside of the 2 weeks at home office. Regions should have a trainer that goes into systematic information, 2 weeks is not enough and people do not get consistent training.

Patterson Companies Photos