Patterson Dental

Paul A. Guggenheim

temporary graphic designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Dental as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

everybody i met liked their job, each department worked toward a common goal, understanding and easy to work with about time off

Cons

i honestly enjoyed every aspect of working here

keep up your desire to value your employees

The market is changing and there not. Get on board with the changes

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Loyalty. Working for a well known distributor. Technology products are top notch. ESOP is great once your qualified.

Cons

Focus is on technology while the supply side is suffering. Management is made up of sales people that couldn't make it in sales so there managing. No one has real business sense and decisions reflect it. They are losing market share in all areas.

Go back to school and get a business degree. Manage people not egos. Come up with a better training program for new hires so they aren't clue less and unsuccessful.

Career ending company

Former Employee - Service Technician
    Former Employee - Service Technician

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good starting pay. Company vehicle (if you're lucky). Decent benefits and investment options after six months of employment. Branch was close to home.

Cons

Leadership is ineffective and spineless. If diplomacy is your second major, then you will be a shoe in for the position as this is a "good ol' boy" environment. Leadership will not defend technicians when dealing with doctors. The doctors complain about every little detail of work being performed and are constantly micro-managing projects when their desires have already been address through technical drawings and contractual agreements. Seniority means nothing when management assigns personnel to job assignments. Technicians are expected to have at least 5 different bosses. The dispatcher, accounts payable, supply coordinators, peer technicians, operations manager, and branch manager. Not to mention the doctors and their office administrators. No one communicates and everyone expects you to be at their beckon call. If you are a veteran, you will be a workhorse despite any technical proficiency you may have. Received several injuries due to lack of training and senior techs brushed it off and laughed, while upper management only comply with doctor notes to avoid legal ramifications. They will let personnel go at a drop of a hat, with no explanation, and then black ball any attempt at trying to gain employment or even attempt to block unemployment benefits. I had great expectations with this company but found out quickly that they are more worried about the money than the people who can either make or break them.

Grow up, get some leadership training, be honest and direct with your people, and don't treat the people, who make you money, like dirt and maybe this could become a better company.

Shafted

Former Employee - Territory Representative in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Territory Representative in Warwick, RI

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I applied to Patterson Dental online through a Career Builder posting. After taking an online test, I heard from the BA to come to the local branch to take another more extensive test, both basic math, calculating percentages, profit margins and other functions. Two weeks later I was called for an interview with the branch manager. (You will not get called for an interview unless you pass the tests.) After a ride along and speaking with a few of the senior reps I had a second interview with the branch manager and after about 5 weeks from applying I was offered a scratch territory in a group D branch. (Group A branches tend to be in the larger markets, Group B little smaller and so on) After basic training, 2 weeks in Minnesota in January!!!) week 1 - Carew International give us the "Dimensions of Professional selling" process and in week 2; a meeting of all the home office upper management including the President and Vice President, HR, then at the end of the second week a final test. (I am only assuming I passed all the tests because I was never given my grades) I was only given a list of doctors that had already been cherry picked through 8 times over. See, In the decentralized model Patterson was using at that time, a group d branch was a cookie cut idea from the home office. Truth of the matter was the territory was to small for a group D branch. All the tenured reps in the branch had the best accounts because of longevity and they are the ones who make the big bucks. Soon after i was hired my branch manager quit and took a job back in the field with a vendor. This left our group D branch without a manager for 9 months before someone was hired, someone without any experience.(and in my personal opinion someone who was in the good old boys club. Even my previous manager was in it. (Funny feeling when you don't agree with some of their methods and ethics) About Just over a year later our branch was closed, we were absorbed by the next closest group A branch about 100 miles away. Three years after i was offered a job advancing my career and left Patterson. I can say that the top tiered reps can make 250K plus easy, they have also been in their respective territories for 20+ years. (for every million you sell expect to get roughly 30-40K and unless you can push a ton of cotton balls your focus is on the equipment side. The industry is tough to break into and is extremely relationship focused. it takes a lot of time to build a relationship with a dentist because most of the good ones are already taken and they can be extremely loyal to their current supply rep. So If you can build relationships and hang on for 7-10 years you can make any territory work. I made 54,000 the last year I was with Patterson Dental still on the base plan which is salary plus commission job. One you eclipse 3 million in sales you want to be on the accelerated growth plan which becomes a 100% commission sales job, but at that point as long as your residual business is at that 3 million dollar mark your pulling in close to if not more than 100k, good luck

Cons

I was unfortunate in my tenure at Patterson, I enjoyed the people I worked with except my direct managers. I wish they were actually managers. There was more of a need to be coached at the beginning, I felt alone in the middle of the ocean left to sink or swim, not given individual support. In three years not once did a manager get in my car to meet one of my customers - NOT GOOD

Never put someone into a management position without having prior management experience. Help new reps getting established. Promote the best candidates, not just the ones that are in the good old boys club.

Great Culture.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lifestyle is great. Potential income is impressive.

Cons

Sales growth is SLOW. Plan on 5-10 years before you make the real $...not 2-3 like you are led to believe.

Help beginning reps get established before hiring more reps.

ok

Former Employee - Teir I Eagelsoft HW in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Teir I Eagelsoft HW in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the managers are OK
    good benefits

Cons

stuck in a cubicle for long hours

none

Disappointing

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to run your own business.

Cons

Inequality of sales territories ; too many sales reps.

they do not care about their employees

Current Employee - Service Technician
    Current Employee - Service Technician

I have been working at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

management, corporate, pay. they will work you in the ground and then not give you a raise

realize what you have in your employees. you always talk about Patterson being a "family" and a "team" but it's not even close.

Great company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible Hours, great employees to work with, benefits were great with lots of options and easy to renew online your benefits each year along with free company stock and great training.

Cons

Company is one of the higher priced margins and product pricing is higher then competitors with no room to come down as it's company philosophy to sell at highest margins possible and justify that by providing better service

Dishonest company, high turnover rate, looks the other way when it comes to integrity

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Patterson Dental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None really, met a few good people.

Cons

The company only cares about themselves. Pay cuts, turnover and lying to employee's about pay/bonuses. Only heard negative things from dental offices. Surprised they're still in business

Take care of your employee's. Hire competent people.