Paul Weiss Rifkind Reviews

Brad S. Karp

1. Great

Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere
    Love the cool people that work there

Cons

Could work on their compensation packages

Please improve opportunities

2. Lame place with too many negative nelleys

Former Employee - Staff Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind

Pros

decent salary and nice cafeteria

Cons

Too many people that walk around looking miserable or with a rain cloud over their head

3. I worked as a Summer Intern in 2014.

Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was a great experience. Everyone at the firm, from the department I was assigned to, HR, and top-level management went out of their way to give us insights into their career paths and offer us advice regarding our own.

Cons

Depending on what department you were placed in, some interns had a fair amount of work each day while others were able to be loaned out to the events department. This is not necessarily a con, but it is something to keep in mind.

Thank you!

5. Overall, I got very good experience as a junior associate and worked with very bright and collegial people.

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great name to put on a resume, generally nice and respectful people, challenging work, lots of pro bono opportunities.

Cons

Hours can be brutal, and often depend on who you work with/for and what case team you're on--so whether you have a decent social life is a result of bad luck or good luck (I had a lot of good luck).

6. If you're a lawyer, great. If not...meh.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Subsidized breakfast, lunch and dinner, Monday - Thursday. An annual Christmas party. You can get a car home after 9 PM, which is great for living outside of Manhattan. You have 401k, sometimes an annual bonus, dental and medical. You get vacation and it can be a 9 to 5 job if your manager cares that you have family. If you wanted to work and you weren't that interested in challenging yourself, this is actually a great job. Get up, go to work, do your job, nod a lot in agreement, eat lunch, go home.

Cons

It doesn't seem to matter how hard you work, there's little chance of a promotion and there's a double standard for childcare leave after a pregnancy. Not really clear if anyone at the top gives thought to employees that aren't lawyers. Partners can treat you pretty bad when they feel like it. Not sure why, given they all make a lot of money...you'd think they'd be in a better mood.

It would be helpful if they talked to staff about where the firm was going or if there is any planned change for profit sharing, or opportunities for professional growth. One email a year is all we get. Feels like each department is a different company. Can take a lot to get someone from another department to help you or give you information.

7. Great Pay, Good People, Kind of Boring

Current Intern - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Paul Weiss Rifkind as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good -- with double overtime

Cons

no real responsibilities or exposure to higher up people

8. Excellent co-workers and cases with whom you spend all your time.

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time

Pros

The partners and associates at Paul, Weiss are extremely smart and often interesting and/or endearingly eccentric. Most of my cases were intellectually challenging. The litigation support staff is excellent. It is a great place to learn about litigation and, if you are driven to be to a big time litigator and have the intellectual firepower, to make your career. The firm is generally successful at fostering a liberal, female friendly and gay friendly environment.

Cons

The hours are long and can feel unrelenting. It is a big machine and individuals often get lost. Although people are generally civil, there is a lot of passive aggressive backbiting.

From the perspective of a former associate, it would have been nice if the firm paid more attention to the professional development of its associates, encouraged them to take more vacation days, and provided more transparency regarding career prospects.

9. Great experience, not great life

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time

Pros

Best in class litigation department exposes young attorneys to brilliant minds and Fortune 100 clients.

Cons

Soul-crushing hours and crisis-oriented culture.

10. Good overall company culture.

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, good culture overall (especially in the DC office -- smaller, more one-on-one time with upper level attorneys). Most people at Paul Weiss have senses of humor and are incredibly supportive. Pro bono opportunities are definitely good.

Cons

Work/Life balance is truly brutal (to be fair, though, that goes for any Biglaw firm, so it's not really a Paul Weiss thing). Time-off policies could use some updating for administrative/support staff.

11. It was the beginning of my legal career...

I worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind

Pros

Great people. Great work. I truly enjoyed the Jury Room food and that it was subsidized by the firm.

Cons

The hours were brutal, but that was to be expected given the nature of the industry. They work hard and are fair to their employees.

Extend maternity leave benefits.