Paul's TV

Paul's TV Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Babak Ghaznavi

Challenging and customer focused

ProsGreat vision and those who are customer service focused and possess a drive will excel. The opportunities to move up are there for those with a strong work ethic and positive attitude.

ConsTraining, while improving, is still challenging to execute with the current staffing levels in some of the stores. Work/life balance isn't always there.

Okay place to work

Sales (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

Prosability to make pretty good money off commissions.

ConsOften work 50 hours a week with no overtime because of the commission structure, which is an either or system. You either make 11.00 or commission if exceeds your 11.00/hr. which means working 50 hrs a week makes it harder to exceed that 11.00/hr mark. In 2013 almost every store was shut down without warning and many people lost jobs. The company does not seem to really care about its employees in the long run.

Advice to Senior Managementevaluate company values

Gradual decline in pay.

Team Leader (Former Employee) Chesterfield, MI

ProsI liked training people and seeing them grow. I also enjoyed the ability to run my store as no upper management ever came to my store. I was the only store in which they did not come regularly. If you do not mess up they do not show up. I had less stress than other team leads for that reason. The benefits were not bad either, better than most jobs. 401K, health, HRA program, dental and vision.

ConsFour years ago the compensation plan was very good for team leads. Each year after there has been a pay decrease. Every time there was a change to the compensation plan the upper management would describe it as a great new way to make money and they would never call it a pay cut. The first year Team Leads were paid $2000 for the first two weeks of the month plus any commission. The second two weeks were either your hours or commission, whichever benefited the employee the most. Then it became based upon hitting metrics. If you and your store hit the metrics you would get a bonus along with $500 for being a team leader. It was additionally cut again taking the metrics out of the equation. Finally, we are at $300 in the first pay and then $900 if your store hits budget. If you do not hit budget you are going to make $11.08 an hour even as a team leader. That is the same pay as your regular associate. While there is the potential to make $1200 more a month than a regular sales associate it can be difficult to hit budget many months, especially when the company no longer advertises regularly. Therefore, while you have all of the responsibilities for everything in your store you can go months without hitting budget. What is the point of being a team lead? Additionally, your budget is based upon last years numbers. My store was told we had to increase sales by 80% recently for a month. We did come close but a near 80% increase was not attainable.
         Along with the decreases in pay there was more responsibility. I do not shy away from more responsibility but at some point you need to be compensated for doing more work. I did like training people. Most people I trained went on to different stores and managing other stores. I was given a new employee every few months. It is difficult to train a new person that often and hit sales goals. I feel I was used for that purpose because I was good at it. I was exploited for my talent to train and never compensated for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep employees that are good for you. While I do not play the politics game it did not prevent me from getting to be a store manager. It did, however, hinder me from getting anywhere above the store I was at. The only employees who were promoted to better stores were the ones who kissed butt and were buddies with upper management. People who deserved the positions never got them because many of us refused to do that type of thing. I realize that it is like that in many workplaces but it was very blatant here. The most dependable people were kept at their positions and never were recognized. Many people have left recently with no effort to retain them. That is not a good sign for a company that is striving to have great customer service. Sometimes you have to pay to keep a level of service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible work schedule with little pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedule with little pay.

ConsNo commissions to be made

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to support your team

Opportunistic buying team threatens company's future

Team Leader (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsA lot of the employees at both store level and corporate level have a good work ethic. Can get employee pricing on products.

ConsPay structure is constantly changing but never for the better. Product selection has gone from mediocre to refurbished products from loss-leader brands. Buying team is opportunistic and not respected in the CE industry. Just because you can purchase a product for a fraction of it's original cost does not mean that you will make positive margin on it. Even free soundbars need to be able to hook up to the TV that they are given away with.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They may have more experience or passion for the product, let alone the industry than you do. Differentiate yourself from competition with something besides lower price or giveaway products. Buying team has no direction whatsoever and the turnover in this department is too high. It is unfortnate the competent buyers left and the incompetent remain. Rash decisions made by the buying team effect the pay of everyone on the sales team and the perception of the company from potential customers.

Opportunity for hard workers

ProsGreat benefits, free lunches, casual dress code, great team... Paul's is a place where it really matters if you work hard. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, and they often promote from within. I have learned more than I have at any other company. I credit the management team for making that possible, but I also had to seek out the knowledge myself to a point.

ConsLeadership is not strong in every department. Compensation is on the lower end across the board, but again, hard work is generally recognized and rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have an excellent resource in leadership training, with many great ideas on how the leadership at Paul's could improve. Leadership seminars have been great and should be more frequent. Get bad leadership out and good leadership in, and the company will be unstoppable!

What a Joke

ProsVery convincing sales pitch....tempting offer that is mostly hot air and smoke.

ConsPyramid scheme pay structure makes you work 55-60hr weeks or earn commission. Commission pays can be as low as .03% of the volume of the product, and the state of michigan has literally 2 commission salesmen. (All the rest come nowhere close to the unrealistic sales needs) Absolutely no upward mobility, and horrible scheduling. Many employees are declined vacation days, though they are maxed in accrued hours and are collecting no more

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting corners for pennies, you have lost thousands in sales and replaced your sales staff with horrible clerks who write negative margin and represent your company in an atrocious way...very similar to sams club products with similar service anymore! I have worked for Pauls for 3.5 years.

AVOID AT ALL COST-you've been warned

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsHard to think of anything...this place is a big con game...reminiscient of The Boiler Room or Glengarry Glenross movies.

ConsYou want to work 55 hours a week, every week for $11/hr? They don't mention the hours in the hiring process.

Great if you're a workaholic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsFree lunch Fridays, casual dress. There are some good people here, but they end up frustrated, disgruntled and leave.

ConsEverything else. This is the type of company that sucks workers dry then discards them for new ones. All negative reinforcement. Pay is below average, bonuses are gone, and raises are a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are your most valuable asset. Treat them with respect.

Growing company with decent benefits but deteriorating upper management

A/R Coordinator (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros100% covered medical insurance, $2000 per year on medical expenses (in 2012)

ConsThere's a culture of keeping underpaid AND underperforming employees throughout the company but especially in the accounting department. Employees that performs well often leave for positions in other departments. Middle management in accounting lack a sense of cultivating new employees.

At the time of my departure the benefits were beginning to get taken away.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartments need to work together to cultivate employees within their area of interest. Create a more defined company goal and culture for all employees.

Worked for Paul's TV? Contribute to the Community!