Paul's TV Reviews

Babak Ghaznavi

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Sales  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to master selling skills and public relations

Cons

none at this time thank you

Keep up the hard work!

Great Atmosphere, But Company is Struggling

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working here and learned a lot. The atmosphere and the people were great. Benefits included affordable health insurance (including dental and vision), an HRA account, discounts on TVs / appliances, free lunch Fridays, and a 401K.

Cons

Paul's TV is struggling. Quite a few stores were closed in Michigan / Virginia in 2013. There were also several rounds of layoffs in the corporate office. Not good if you want a stable, long term career. Pay was decent, but not great.

The company won't move forward unless it evolves.

Poorly managed.

I worked at Paul's TV full-time

Pros

Discounts on electronics. Team members are relatively easy to work with.

Cons

No clear objectives from management besides "SELL". Last minute changes and not understanding the market in which you are competing was an epic mistake.

Hire with the intent on cultivating the talent. Let those that are innovators innovate. Have a clear plan/objective for capturing market share and competing with other retailers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

who's driving the bus?

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time

Pros

great name in market full page ad's

Cons

no life 12 hours shifts

your staff can help you if you treat them right

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Sales  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time for more than a year

Pros

ability to make pretty good money off commissions.

Cons

Often work 50 hours a week with no overtime because of the commission structure, which is an either or system. You either make 11.00 or commission if exceeds your 11.00/hr. which means working 50 hrs a week makes it harder to exceed that 11.00/hr mark. In 2013 almost every store was shut down without warning and many people lost jobs. The company does not seem to really care about its employees in the long run.

evaluate company values

Challenging and customer focused

I have been working at Paul's TV for more than 3 years

Pros

Great vision and those who are customer service focused and possess a drive will excel. The opportunities to move up are there for those with a strong work ethic and positive attitude.

Cons

Training, while improving, is still challenging to execute with the current staffing levels in some of the stores. Work/life balance isn't always there.

Gradual decline in pay.

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Chesterfield, MI
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chesterfield, MI

I worked at Paul's TV full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked training people and seeing them grow. I also enjoyed the ability to run my store as no upper management ever came to my store. I was the only store in which they did not come regularly. If you do not mess up they do not show up. I had less stress than other team leads for that reason. The benefits were not bad either, better than most jobs. 401K, health, HRA program, dental and vision.

Cons

Four years ago the compensation plan was very good for team leads. Each year after there has been a pay decrease. Every time there was a change to the compensation plan the upper management would describe it as a great new way to make money and they would never call it a pay cut. The first year Team Leads were paid $2000 for the first two weeks of the month plus any commission. The second two weeks were either your hours or commission, whichever benefited the employee the most. Then it became based upon hitting metrics. If you and your store hit the metrics you would get a bonus along with $500 for being a team leader. It was additionally cut again taking the metrics out of the equation. Finally, we are at $300 in the first pay and then $900 if your store hits budget. If you do not hit budget you are going to make $11.08 an hour even as a team leader. That is the same pay as your regular associate. While there is the potential to make $1200 more a month than a regular sales associate it can be difficult to hit budget many months, especially when the company no longer advertises regularly. Therefore, while you have all of the responsibilities for everything in your store you can go months without hitting budget. What is the point of being a team lead? Additionally, your budget is based upon last years numbers. My store was told we had to increase sales by 80% recently for a month. We did come close but a near 80% increase was not attainable.
         Along with the decreases in pay there was more responsibility. I do not shy away from more responsibility but at some point you need to be compensated for doing more work. I did like training people. Most people I trained went on to different stores and managing other stores. I was given a new employee every few months. It is difficult to train a new person that often and hit sales goals. I feel I was used for that purpose because I was good at it. I was exploited for my talent to train and never compensated for it.

Try to keep employees that are good for you. While I do not play the politics game it did not prevent me from getting to be a store manager. It did, however, hinder me from getting anywhere above the store I was at. The only employees who were promoted to better stores were the ones who kissed butt and were buddies with upper management. People who deserved the positions never got them because many of us refused to do that type of thing. I realize that it is like that in many workplaces but it was very blatant here. The most dependable people were kept at their positions and never were recognized. Many people have left recently with no effort to retain them. That is not a good sign for a company that is striving to have great customer service. Sometimes you have to pay to keep a level of service.

Flexible work schedule with little pay.

I worked at Paul's TV

Pros

Flexible work schedule with little pay.

Cons

No commissions to be made

Learn to support your team

Opportunistic buying team threatens company's future

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Paul's TV full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of the employees at both store level and corporate level have a good work ethic. Can get employee pricing on products.

Cons

Pay structure is constantly changing but never for the better. Product selection has gone from mediocre to refurbished products from loss-leader brands. Buying team is opportunistic and not respected in the CE industry. Just because you can purchase a product for a fraction of it's original cost does not mean that you will make positive margin on it. Even free soundbars need to be able to hook up to the TV that they are given away with.

Listen to your employees. They may have more experience or passion for the product, let alone the industry than you do. Differentiate yourself from competition with something besides lower price or giveaway products. Buying team has no direction whatsoever and the turnover in this department is too high. It is unfortnate the competent buyers left and the incompetent remain. Rash decisions made by the buying team effect the pay of everyone on the sales team and the perception of the company from potential customers.

Opportunity for hard workers

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, free lunches, casual dress code, great team... Paul's is a place where it really matters if you work hard. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, and they often promote from within. I have learned more than I have at any other company. I credit the management team for making that possible, but I also had to seek out the knowledge myself to a point.

Cons

Leadership is not strong in every department. Compensation is on the lower end across the board, but again, hard work is generally recognized and rewarded.

You have an excellent resource in leadership training, with many great ideas on how the leadership at Paul's could improve. Leadership seminars have been great and should be more frequent. Get bad leadership out and good leadership in, and the company will be unstoppable!

Worked for Paul's TV? Contribute to the Community!