Paxata

Data Prep for today's Self Service Data Viz Tools

Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very happy to join such a large amount of very smart and successful people who are also still very hungry to make a product and get it out and launched. We are solving a very real problem in a new and innovative way. Everyone is willing to help and make sure you are successful in your job. Great leadership team.

Cons

You must be ready for explosive growth and a true 'start-up' mentality: Doesn't matter how things have been done in the past how can we accomplish our goals today quickly and effectively and bring true value to our customers. Be flexible as you may have to work out items on your own to begin.

Don't change your attitude of wanting to help each and every employee and keep working hard to make us win.

Amazing group of people solving interesting problems

Current Employee - Senior Director, Solution Consulting in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Solution Consulting in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's an early stage startup with the professionalism of a bigger company but the flexibility and individual accountability of a < 10 person company. The senior leadership all have big company and startup experience so there are a lot of common missteps we've been able to avoid.

Cons

Like any startup we run pretty lean and fast so you have to pay attention to the wikis and updates so you don't get left behind.

Also, I came from a large company where I had an office; getting used to a noisy open workspace has taken some getting used to.

As we grow it will take a lot of effort and maybe systematic processes to maintain the culture we have now. It would be a shame to lose the energy

Exactly what a startup should be...

Current Employee - Customer Success in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A team of "A"-players... huge talent that forces you to "step up." A tremendous amount of fun... we laugh a LOT and respect one another in our motley cast o' characters. Massive amount of work, but the ownership of that work is why we're here. Adding to the vision of the company and shaping a new marketplace.

Cons

So much work to be done, not a lot of time or resources to do it. Inevitably, it leads to collisions or the occasional task falling into the spaces between teams. It's not the end of the world, but can add to the scramble. A startup is not for the faint-of-heart... but for the right person, the benefits far outweigh the bumps in the road.

Innovative, cohesive, driven and passionate, Paxata has it all!

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paxata has an extremely experienced and cohesive team with a lot of history in the industry. We're able to explore new and innovative ways to achieve results vs. just repeating what has already been done. We have the people, product and passion to put it all together. An extremely exciting and FUN place to work!

Cons

Aside from the usual start up frenzy, I can't think of any. :-)

Make your work meaningful and experience success on all levels

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every day, you can influence something meaningful - within our technology or solution, our sales or marketing approach, our team dynamics and our future. We think smart, we move fast and we only look back long enough to improve as we go. If you want to work with a team who is honest, willing to challenge and be challenged, and truly wants to change the lives of business analysts all over the world, we are ready for you!

Cons

If you are looking for a hip, trendy place to hang out, where it feels more like a frat-house than a work environment, Paxata is not for you. Yes, we enjoy each other's company but we don't make socializing the most important aspect of being at work.

Fast growing company with strong values and commercial focus at intersection of visualization, semantics, & big data

I have been working at Paxata full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people: The folks here are humble but confident, have experienced success and failure professionally, and are highly ethical
    Unique product: The product vision at the company is really strong and resonates well in the market. We are working on really cool state of the art technologies like d3 and Spark and the engineering team here is strong.
    Great customers: The customers are all top brands in their respective industries and are great work with, like Dannon, Box, and UBS.

Cons

Intense work environment: The company (or at least in engineering) seems to go between some semblance of work / life balance and flat out a few times a year. The founders all lead by example, but it's hard to be that intense all the time.
    Solving many problems simultaneously: We are trying to provide a personal product with a consumer experience that can also scale to the largest enterprises, and that can be really hard to do when you have customers at both ends of the spectrum. It's good to be ambitious, but it can also be really hard to straddle that line.

Some more frequent communication would be good. For a small company it's amazing we don't always know what everyone is up to, but the weekly updates have definitely helped.

A high-growth startup in the making

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are smart and many of them are quite experienced. Every employee has a lot of potential to shape the future of the company. I'm learning a lot about computer science, particularly in interesting topics like distributed programming, columnar databases, and data visualization. Culture that emphasizes the success and career growth of each employee.

Cons

There is a lot to do at this fast-paced startup, though that's also why I joined.

We are growing quickly -- let's make sure we stay as open at 50 employees as we currently are at ~25.