www.paypal.com

Updated November 18, 2014
3.4

PayPal President and CEO Designee Dan Schulman
Dan Schulman

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 102 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture to push yourself may lend itself to working longer hours and less work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Get ready for lots of change

I worked at PayPal full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, casual dress code

Cons

Leadership can be difficult depending on department. Plenty of leaders who have been there a long time, who should not still be there. Promote from within which is great, providing the person was promoted for the right reasons. Decisions made years ago seem to come back to bite them. Leaders with little or no experience in the department they are managing.

Contract Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

PayPal has great technology available to their employees, housed in a beautiful building.

Cons

I was hired as a contract recruiter, only to learn that what they really wanted was an admin that could juggle their interview schedules through Microsoft. To make it more challenging, no one talks to each other. All communication is done by email or by 'i.m.ing'. Even though I sat 10 feet away from the people I worked with any attempt to speak to them face-to-face was met with the comment 'just i.m.me'. This is the perfect environment for 30 something candidates who want to live their lives staring at a computer for 8 hours a day. This experience was a huge disappointment and let-down.

Your Human Resources Department needs a thorough cleaning.

Short title of review

Current Employee - Fraud Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits & pay is competitive

Cons

Micro management is out of control

The only reason to work here is for the healthcare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare, stock opportunities, 401k plan, build skillet for resume purposes

Cons

Negative toxic place to work. Unless you are Management or higher don't bother. Internal hiring process is pathetic. Management constantly shifting due to misrepresented talent. If you just want to be another replaceable piece of the robot, then this place is perfect for you! They will switch you out tomorrow without blinking an eye, regardless of your talent or time put into the company. Greedy. Saddens me to write this. 6 years ago PayPal flowed through my blood. Now they have become just another greedy organization. Ps. no I was not fired. Even if the company makes billions of dollars in revenue, don't expect any Christmas bonus. You took too long providing their customers, who made their company all that money, excellent customer service and you are punished in return for taking the extra minute by receiving zero bonus. Isn't that ironic? I had the opportunity to work in 3 different departments and found it is a common trend throughout.

A happy worker is a productive worker. Maybe u would not have such high turn over rates if u paid a little more attention to the daily life of your bottom feeders. You know the ones that without them PayPal would not continue to strive and reach new goals!?!!

Great Company but slow to market

Current Employee - Large Merchant Account Manager in Lavista, NE
    Current Employee - Large Merchant Account Manager in Lavista, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great movement, able to gain a lot of experience

Cons

Company is a financial and a technology company. Trying to balance a financial company which is very black and white with a technology company which needs to be innovative is a challenge. You have the people in corporate wanting to roll out every new product and then you have the financial people within the company fighting to ensure every 't' is crossed and every 'i' dotted.

A good company to work for IF you can secure the right position.

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are probably the best of any company that I've ever heard of and I'm not just speaking of health benefits and stock options. PayPal offers everything from tuition reimbursement to a free membership with Care.com.

Cons

If you want a position outside of customer service, you must be prepared to work your behind off and deal with the politics of a large corporate world. And trust me, unless you're a college kid working towards a degree, you WANT to be out of customer service. In the position that I was in, I was one of five in the entire company supporting three rather large departments. I loved my job, but there was SO much drama and cattiness. People have been in these positions so long, it was like High School all over again.

Be more trusting and allow the educated/experienced individuals you've hired to make decisions/judgement calls. The business will be more successful if you can be more nimble and make decisions quickly.

Empowering employer that really cares about employees

Current Employee - Merchant Risk Operations in La Vista, NE
    Current Employee - Merchant Risk Operations in La Vista, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salaries, support personal development and advancement more than any other employer that I'm aware of. Hard to find other employers with as many paid holidays and days of PTO, plus you receive a 30 day sabbatical every 5 years!

Cons

Challenging experiences with customers at times, frequent changes can be hard to keep current on, most roles are competitive against direct peers so cannot just show up and do the bare minimum because it will easily be noticed by management.

Keep supporting advancement and employee empowerment!

Great job for young just out of high school kids.

Current Employee - Customer Service Teammate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Teammate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, management involvement, fun atmosphere. Terrific training programs. Ability to upskill at every turn. Best benefits package I've seen!

Cons

Feel at times like I'm at a daycare. Although their frontline managers are involved their "experience" and leadership qualities seem to be lacking. The pay is also low.

Make sure you're putting the right leaders in manager spots not just warm bodies to fill a spot.

Experience at paypal

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, training and team work

Cons

too competitive due to the higher number of employee for the internal position

Give a chance to new graduates for the new position

Current Employee - Fraud Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer good benefit package

Cons

hard to advance into management rolls

look for better talent