PayPal

Updated January 25, 2015
3.4

PayPal President and CEO Designee Dan Schulman
Dan Schulman

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 104 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture to push yourself may lend itself to working longer hours and less work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Dynamic and fast paced culture with smart people

Current Employee - Senior Manager In Technology and Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager In Technology and Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are definitely smart, smarter than the large company I used to work for before I got to PayPal. There is also an emphasis on agility and moving quickly to deliver projects.

Cons

Processes could use optimization. They seem clunky, not well documented, let alone made well known and this tends to create confusion in the engineer ranks.

Fix the processes with light weight, quick but effective work flows.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people here. Many work very hard, long hours, plenty of overtime. Company stresses work life balance but not so easy in this valley. Benefits are great, on site health club, 401K match, medical/dental/eyes, plenty areas to eat on campus and 4 week sabbaticals for every 5 years of employment. You rarely have to leave.

Cons

Constant re-orgs, and a lot of last minute "fire drills" which puts many people into working late evenings and weekends.

Hopefully with the new president and the split from eBay, 2015 will be the year we actually live all the company statements.

A good place to start your career in the financial industry.

Current Employee - Debit Card Team in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Debit Card Team in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loads of room for upward mobility
    Excellent Benefits
    Friendly work environment
    Employees all seem to genuinely like working at PayPal

Cons

Time keeping is very strict and even trips to the bathroom are clocked.

Keep up the good work with the work environment. However, trips to the coffee machine and bathroom should not be timed.

Great company!

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

Awesome company culture, great benefits, flexible schedule, tuition reimbursement

Cons

There aren't any cons as far as I know.

Keep up the great work!

What a ride

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company ordinarily compensates their employees well (including granting a 4 week sabbatical after 5 years of service), and the vast majority of people I worked with were awesome! There are periodic social events (though there are fewer outside of the San Jose, California location), free drinks (soft drinks, coffee, tea, etc.), sponsorship of community events (like World Usability Day), and community involvement is encouraged. There's also a significant degree of diversity in the lower echelons and more than a few career opportunities (if you're in San Jose).

Cons

Work/life balance can get seriously out of whack - there were weeks I worked 80 hours to get a project done and the only reward for going above and beyond was a "thanks" from my direct supervisor. You also have to constantly watch everything you say and do - even the things you think are innocent, like telling people other companies are hiring - there are people who will calmly throw you under the bus if it benefits them (but this is true everywhere). Diversity isn't nearly as pronounced at higher levels and career opportunities outside of San Jose are pretty minimal. Also, there is a significant loss of knowledge capital after people have taken their sabbatical.

Bring back the 4 core values. The employees may have gotten really "good" at them, but they need to be kept in the forefront of everyone's mind. Focus more on keeping long-time employees and avoid "brain drain". Strengthen career opportunities outside San Jose (which is in the top 10 most expensive cities).

A Great Company for Younger People

Current Employee - Collections Agent in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Collections Agent in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time

Pros

PayPal is a company that prides itself on doing the right thing. While I'm a collections agent, there is so much more to my job than taking money from strangers. We are taught to also cultivate relationships with our account holders. It is one the main reasons that I have lasted so long in this call center environment.

On top of the decent starting wage, the company has generous bonuses and a little over $5,000 a year in tuition reimbursement. I was stunned at just how quickly that paid. PayPal also has an on-site gym, game room and other perks.

This is a job that could easily become a career if you are young and willing to put in your time. Get to know as many people in as many departments as you can. This will lead you to increased opportunity for you in the future here.

PayPal rarely ever terminates employees. You have to really screw up. They have a way with training employees in such a way that you know that you are valued and this makes you want to improve yourself. In the year that I have worked there, I have only seen one employee walked out (absences/tardy policy violations).

Cons

If you are not willing to learn and grow in your position, you will not prosper here.

Changes are fast here. If you are not on your A game, you will fall behind.

Internal opportunities are available to everybody, but can be difficult to obtain.

Saturday shifts are very difficult (everybody works the Saturday morning shift - even those that work evenings).

Consider flexibility in shifts. The 10 hour days are no longer available. Would love to work longer and fewer days a week.

High expectations - Good compensation

Former Employee - Supervisor Customer Solutions in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor Customer Solutions in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal

Pros

High performers receive excellent pay increases. Company listens to feedback from employees and wants to keep its edge as the leader in payments

Cons

Progress is hampered by eBay. eBay staff believes they are entitled and has developed too many policies and hurdles to progress. You work hard, some people can't handle it - develop anxiety.

I enjoyed working there and feel that management needs to continue to push for progress and that means separation from eBay.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Business Support II in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Support II in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome management
    Flexible schedules to fit your growing life
    Great starting pay
    Always changing in positive manners
    Has awesome benefits
    Paid time off and other compensations are great
    Retention is lower
    AZ's best company to work for 2014

Cons

Not much negative for the company per-say
    Just doing a call center job is mentally draining

Keep up the great work, hands down best management team I've ever had, so much support. It feels like a family.

Good Companies

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

Good Work life balance. Helpful people.

Cons

Constant re-organisation. Lots of project managers.

Stop re-orgs.

Great experience for a Quality analyst

I worked at PayPal

Pros

1. Structured environment with many training opportunities
    2. Focuses on individual goals
    3. Great work life balance with many amazing provisions like Gym, Dance Studio along with non-profit initiatives like eWIT

Cons

Frequent change at C suite caused some change in the processes