PayPal Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.4

John Donahoe

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Too slow to go to market; poor work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great location with lots of onsite amenities.

Cons

Full-time Job Opportunities arte not as abundant.

Awesome Product and passionate President but lacking true investment in the culture or people

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

David Marcus is a great leader. Incredibly passionate!
    PayPal is a great brand to get behind. Employees really seem invested in impacting the organization and the payments industry.
    People here are very sharp!
    Very good outlook for the company. PayPal will do great things in the payments space!

Cons

Comp is average, lacking compared to competitors in Silicon Valley.
    There is a lot of focus on creating incredible product and services but not enough investment in making it a great place to work for employees. No perks compared to other companies (no free food, snacks, dry cleaning etc). Employee on-boarding is laughable. Recruiting is sub par.
    The systems/tools are horrendous! Way too many tools. Makes ppl unproductive
    There is a lot of "talk" about getting stuff done but there are a lot of obstacles preventing it
    Stale talent is kept around way too long. HR leadership is not as impactful as it should be.

Research people programs/ops (HR/Recruiting) at other local companies to see what you are missing. SO MUCH opportunity for growth in that area.

Great company to work for

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great place to work. salary and benefits are fantastic. people are very smart!

Cons

distributed work force and internal politics can be a drain on entrepreneur

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work now, Lot of politics

Current Employee - CQES Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - CQES Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AC buses , Less work for few who are managers favourite :)

Cons

Lot of changes , Moved CQ dept into PD and Forcing the CQ to do Developmeny . This is not the case with PD . Don't join paypal , no job security . Without any reason they Fire people

Why are you silent ?? Wake up before your stocks goes down to $ 10 USD...

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Solutions Agent  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Solutions Agent in Chandler, AZ

I worked at PayPal full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is by far the best part of working at PayPal. The people are really nice and the work place is very modern and comfortable. Great benefits and incentive to be an efficient worker.

Cons

The work itself. While it is rewarding to turn an irate customer into a happy camper, doing this for eight hours can be mentally taxing. It makes everyone's goal in the building to work their way up to a position where they're off the phone, making it pretty competitive.

I was the kind of person that stayed on the phone with people to make sure they understood everything I was telling them. Customer satisfaction was my main focus but call times always seemed more important to management. That was my only concern during my time there, otherwise keep up the good work.

Not the job presented in interviews, a big disappointment overall

Current Employee - Senior Architect  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, excellent benefits, decent campus and company cafeteria, flexible hours, and marquee brand.

Cons

Hierarchical culture, insular silos, and disconnects between management rhetoric and actions. Frequent re-orgs; some with layoffs. Limited opportunities for professional growth and advancement. Training and conferences are treated as perks for a select few instead of as a necessary investment in employees. Some buildings are crowded; personal workspace and parking are limited.

PayPal uses a highly politicized “stacked ranking” system for biannual performance ratings, forcing a fixed percentage of staff into Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) regardless of their actual performance. New employees are generally not considered eligible for “meets expectations” ratings at their initial six month review.

Because it is used to allocate the annual bonus pool for technical staff, the ranking system creates perverse workplace incentives. (Think: “Game of Thrones”.) Senior managers make the final ranking decisions in a closed meeting. Visibility and perception are heavily weighted. Some allege favoritism. It is not uncommon for the rating assigned by your immediate manager to be reduced by at least one level.

There are many disgruntled employees at PayPal. The cynicism and negativity can be overwhelming at times.

Follow Microsoft's lead. Lose the archaic stacked ranking system along with the perverse workplace incentives it creates. When it comes to what your direct reports tell you, trust but verify.

Require all people managers attend management training annually to refresh their understanding of and commitment to Best Practices. Hold them accountable for people management goals.

Because few employees believe that employee surveys are anonymous, feedback is skewed. If you want to understand what is really happening in the organization, have regular random “skip-level” meetings and give “management by wandering around” a try. You may be surprised by what you learn.

Please Read and Beware before and after accepting Offer

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for less than a year

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Rescinded my offer 13 days after I accepted it. I had 2 other equivalent paying offers (Software Developer) which I had already declined to work for. I would like to suggest people to accept this but don't trust them until you join them in fact don't trust until you work for a month for them. You can be removed whenever. Please don't be at the mercy of their will. Keep your options live until the last moment with this company for your safety.

Please decide first whether you are going to keep your offer or not.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Fraud Investigtor  in  Omaha, TX
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigtor in Omaha, TX

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual dress environment. Great Cafe

Cons

mind numbing. hard to stay focused

No one ever says No if you want to do work that's good for the company

Current Employee - Architect
    Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent compensations, stock incentives, and fortune-500 quality benefits. Leaders at the company are turning everything around.

Cons

Decision making structure needs work, no one can decide what the word responsible and accountable mean

Continue to push on Debate-Decide-Deliver but make sure the people that are Deciding are the right accountable decision makers and not "just the PM"

Not a good place anymore

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location, nice campus and facility.

Cons

Too many meetings - almost 50% of the day time is spent in various meetings.
    Different vertical teams are hard to communicate and the communication can be quite inefficient.
    Politics are floating around everywhere. Lots of re-orgs. The space for career growth is not much.

I worked for PayPal for almost 6 years. Recently, lots of my former paypal colleagues, including myself, left the company recently. Bay Area is a place with a lot of opportunities for talented people. If the management don't care about the talented people you have, they will leave, sooner or later.

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!