PayPal Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.4

John Donahoe

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Too slow to go to market; poor work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

271 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced culture, smart people, well positioned in its space.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many smart people who are very driven to get things done. Still a very startup culture.

Cons

Sometimes feels like there is lack of focus, too many priorities. Very matrixed environment makes it harder to execute.

Focus and simplify. Align ES on top goals!

Company is good. But the top management above directors are pretty bad

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Company and the working culture is good. It was once a best place to work and not any more. Peers and your reporting managers are good. But after that no one is good.

Cons

The management people don't know what they are doing. They lack ideas and innovation. They don't bring in any innovation or world changing ideas. If it comes from the bottom down they won't appreciate it. They don't recognize you for anything. I have worked here for 6+ years as a contractor and proved several times. But they never wanted me to convert in to a full time employee. The VPs are bureaucratic. They want work from me but they don't want full time employees. Because they need all from IITs and MITs. What an idea? Beware this company's code is the stupidest way of doing things. All dirty if and while loops. For that they dont need any body from IIT or MIT. Even a normal school kid can do it.
    They will never promote you.

There are reduntant VP positions. Allow people to innovate and appreciate them who ever they are. PayPal is going down with lack of innovation and appreciation from people. you can sustain only because of the existing customers for few more years. But for sure if you don't take any action you are going down PayPal.

New hires beware

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for less than a year

Pros

So-called "Work and life balance"

Cons

When they layoff, the new hires are likely to become victims - happened to me in 2008. Looking in retrospective it is unclear what the motives are to open these positions in the first place, when the decision makes clearly knew what was coming. Beware when you get an offer from them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great location with lots of onsite amenities.

Cons

Full-time Job Opportunities arte not as abundant.

Not a good place to work now, Lot of politics

Current Employee - CQES Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - CQES Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AC buses , Less work for few who are managers favourite :)

Cons

Lot of changes , Moved CQ dept into PD and Forcing the CQ to do Developmeny . This is not the case with PD . Don't join paypal , no job security . Without any reason they Fire people

Why are you silent ?? Wake up before your stocks goes down to $ 10 USD...

Please Read and Beware before and after accepting Offer

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for less than a year

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

Rescinded my offer 13 days after I accepted it. I had 2 other equivalent paying offers (Software Developer) which I had already declined to work for. I would like to suggest people to accept this but don't trust them until you join them in fact don't trust until you work for a month for them. You can be removed whenever. Please don't be at the mercy of their will. Keep your options live until the last moment with this company for your safety.

Please decide first whether you are going to keep your offer or not.

Lots of politics and scapegoating

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, explosive opportunity in payments space. Great stated company values. Large variety of projects to work on. Great sense of community at the IC through Director level.

Cons

GE mentality has taken over VP and Sr. Director level. Politics and positioning are everything. Calibration curve is used inappropriately on high performing teams forcing sub-standard ratings to be assigned even though everyone is excellent.

Actually behave in alignment with the stated corporate values. Get rid of the calibration curve and trust managers to accurately assess real performance.

Senior Risk Manager

Current Employee - Senior Risk Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Risk Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of potential to be THE digital wallet. Steepest learning curve ever for me.

Cons

Could've been better if it weren't for the bureaucracy

Not enough perks-High Turnover-Culture Caters to a specific non-American Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Informal like college, good work life balance-can work from home, turtle pond, ability to work anywhere on campus, Open minded managers, I have an intelligent team

Cons

Food is not free and rather expensive (i.e. $9 salads and/or sandwiches) should be subsidized, 65% of population is Indian, coffee machines always out of order, bathrooms are dirty (i.e. automatic toilets and sinks don't work), most company events serve only Indian food, small gym, communication is bad (i.e. no one is accountable and teams make up their own rules on how to do things) High turnover due to constant restructuring, onsite carwash is $24 and they do a bad job, medical doesn’t pay 100%, shuttles only pick you up in SF or SJ no where else in the bay area, If you are not from another country besides the US you are screwed (they hire their own), free fruit is gone within minutes of delivery due to hoarding from certain people from differing cultures (they act like they are starving), not staying competitive with Google perks.

Give cultural awareness training. I lost count of how many times I’ve been shoved to the side in an elevator from a person not born in this country rushing to exit even though I was the first one on it. Don't allow people to hire friends with no talents.
    Keep up with Google perks!

Awesome Product and passionate President but lacking true investment in the culture or people

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

David Marcus is a great leader. Incredibly passionate!
    PayPal is a great brand to get behind. Employees really seem invested in impacting the organization and the payments industry.
    People here are very sharp!
    Very good outlook for the company. PayPal will do great things in the payments space!

Cons

Comp is average, lacking compared to competitors in Silicon Valley.
    There is a lot of focus on creating incredible product and services but not enough investment in making it a great place to work for employees. No perks compared to other companies (no free food, snacks, dry cleaning etc). Employee on-boarding is laughable. Recruiting is sub par.
    The systems/tools are horrendous! Way too many tools. Makes ppl unproductive
    There is a lot of "talk" about getting stuff done but there are a lot of obstacles preventing it
    Stale talent is kept around way too long. HR leadership is not as impactful as it should be.

Research people programs/ops (HR/Recruiting) at other local companies to see what you are missing. SO MUCH opportunity for growth in that area.

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!