www.paypal.com

Updated February 28, 2015
3.2

PayPal President and CEO Designee Dan Schulman
Dan Schulman

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 104 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture to push yourself may lend itself to working longer hours and less work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

308 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Was once a great company but now is nothing but turf wars and inconsistent leadership and vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People for the most part are talented and passionate about what they do. Nice amenities (gym, cafes, coffee bar, free sodas), flexibility in work hours, working from home.

Cons

Years ago Paypal had great vision but now is floundering and trying to be "a bank but not a bank". It makes my heart hurt to think about what the company once was and what it has become. VPs are more concerned with managing up and getting face time with the C-level than with managing their businesses and ensuring their teams can be successful. Leadership is inconsistent--constant changes of opinion, of approaches, inconsistency between words and action. People who are glorified sales reps are put in positions of running large businesses that are now floundering. Lack of people development; difficult to get promoted. Negative politics, turf wars and kingdom building run rampant. Have to be a a "yes man" to be successful; can't voice opposing points of view without repercussions. Values and behaviors look good on paper but few people exhibit these. Compensation is low, and often unfair--women on my team made less than the men, directs made more than their directors and VP management doesn't care. I once was a huge advocate for getting people to work here, but at this point the company is off the path to success and instead is becoming a "me too" company--following the likes of Apple, Google, Square instead of leading.

Clean house at VP level--that is where there are redundancies.

overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work/life balance. competitive salary and a 4 week sabbatical after 5 years of service!

Cons

corporate strategic direction can sometimes be sidetracked

stronger, clearer vision for the company

Product Analytics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will work with a lot of great people.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of process in proper data collection. Data Warehouse design is not optimal and is EXTREMELY difficult to mine data. There are too many processes that you have to follow in order to get access to data. If you are in data/analytics, this is not the company for you.

Become a true data driven organization and do a complete overhaul on data management and analytics.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Secure payments. Grand vision. People are helpful. Good work life balance. There is plenty of work to be done and plenty of learning opportunities. You will not be bored.

Cons

Difficulty getting things done in the org structure. New leadership will make org changes to streamline work processes.

Make thoughtful but infrequent org changes. Too many org changes hamper productivity.

Not Great

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Silicon Valley, Good Network,
    Five Words

Cons

Slow in getting things done
    too much politics
    not enough diversity

Really on the edge of something...

Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal

Pros

- Payment is becoming a really hot space
    - New CEO (Dan Schulman) has incredible vision for really becoming the customer champion
    - Paypal is spinning off into a public company, and the potential for the company is huge

Cons

- Matrixed organization
    - Big tech company, things can move slowly at times if you don't know how to push back

Fantastic opportunity lies ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

What I love about PayPal is the ability to move laterally and learn new areas. That is an often under-estimated opportunity to grow. Also, the new president has already established a strong vision for the future that is very exciting.

Cons

PayPal has a lingering culture of slow decision making. Its improving but there are still too many people involved in making decisions and a lack of clarity regarding who has the right to make a decision.

Good place to learn, but hard to deal with the politics

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Interesting work
    - Opportunity to make an impact
    - Decent work life balance

Cons

- Very political
    - Hard to get stuff done

Streamline by cutting layers of middle management

Confusing and unorganized.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an employee without a product, there is a large amount of freedom. (However, most people are not.)
    The pay is reasonably good, and there is a very large acceptance of gigs on the side. This is a good place to put in the minimum workload, get a salary, and build your own startup. There is a fair number of frustrated employees who do exactly that, making PayPal an excellent place to put together a startup team.

Cons

PayPal has a tradition of documenting code poorly, and of performing reorgs every 3 years. This combination makes it almost impossible to change any code: you probably cannot find anybody who knows what the code does. If you find that person -- or if you are a person who knows what the code does -- then the process of getting approval to make a change is tedious, and again, frustrated by occasional reorgs.

People working in Austin or Scottsdale are often more frustrated than those in San Jose.

Stop focusing on powerpoint as a mode of communication. The amount of meetings is devastating.

Hope it get's better and, all things considered, it was probably a mistake staying as long as I did.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A big name to have on your resume. Pretty cushy job that actually drug my technical skills down. Got paid well. Amazing parties.

Cons

Fractured technical leadership. Management is a mess. Massive technical debt and encumbering weight of a system that was has been continually bolted onto with duck tape solutions. The system is almost impossible to actually test and verify. The vast majority of the technical staff had no idea how the entire system worked. Proprietary SOAP protocol for services. Around 2000 internal services that are almost untraceably dependent on each other and often have duplicated/triplicated functionality. Little actual will or ability to reign in the system bloat. Basically a lot of senior people that had many others running in circles just so they could justify their positions.

At one point we were told that if we weren't making every possible purchase with PayPal we shouldn't work there. So there was quite a bit of pressure to drink the Kool-Aid. Internal and incestuous politics with ebay. Very poor on-boarding of new acquisitions and newer ideas. From what I could tell it was a mostly a brain drain and then toss mentality of newer more agile tech and companies.

Rebuild the system from the ground up. Drop the dead weight management and "technical" staff. Best of luck on breaking away from eBay which was an anchor from what I could tell. Splitting off was a great decision IMHO.