PayPal Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

Dan Schulman

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work-life balance unless your a favourite (in 40 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

274 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging, Face paced environment

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to branch out and learn. It's a 'never-get-bored" environment where there's always something to get involved in -- even it it's outside your job scope. If you decide to explore other careers, there are options to do so.

Cons

Life work balance isn't that easy.

Relaxed working environment (internship).

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The working culture and environment is pretty relaxed and had a decent amount of intern activities to participate in. Everyone was very friendly and will help you out if you need it.

Cons

Worked in a newly formed team, so we did not have too much organization and structure.

Fun, open, friendly

I worked at PayPal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The campus is gorgeous. Everyone's so friendly, and they have a built-in gym and an Apple vending machine! They are also very lenient with days off. Not only that, but they work to make sure that as an employee you have all of the technology you need in order to do your job.

Cons

It can get a bit monotonous, but then again, that depends on your job within PayPal.

Have more team building sessions in July so interns can take part too!

Software Engineering Intern Review

I worked at PayPal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1) Great Company to work for
    2) Internships at PayPal are one in a million
    3) Great Pay
    4) Corporate Housing means no need to pay for housing over the summer
    5) Allot of the teams are working in a startup style atmosphere

Cons

1) Communication between teams is difficult because of the amount of teams belonging to a certain vertical.
    2) Leadership is definitely during a transitional period, now that David Marcus has left

Smart people and great opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great experience working for this company. I was given truing and opportunities and was allowed to move around to gain experience with different teams. Salary and benefits were very competitive.

Cons

Long hours and once you reach a certain level it is hard to get the opportunity to move to Director roles or beyond.

Cut down ton the re-org churn every 6-9 months.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart People. Great culture and can-do attitude. Plenty of opportunity. I came in as an individual contributor and became a senior manager. I was given great leadership training as well as exec support

Cons

Re-orgs every 6-9 months create a lot of churn. Work life balance can be difficult at time.

Minimize company re-orgs

Great company... Great people

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoying market lead position, good people and value, flexible hours, good lateral growth opportunities

Cons

Difficult to get things done... No new disruptive ideas... Difficult to get promoted... Company is getting in to large corporate mentality... Too many people

Trim down the fat...Focus on execution and reward people who do the work not the one who report the work

Great place to work and innovate!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mobile first! if you are looking for focusing your career in Mobile Payments. This is the place to be.

Cons

Not agile, very slow to make things happen. Needs a start-up dose to move fast.

Need the company to make fast decisions.

Fast maturing company with cohesive leadership (even while new president is being recruited) and excited rank and file

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people oriented corporate culture across eBay...top management at eBay really cares about career development, diversity, open and honest culture
    Work life balance generally good, with flexible work from home culture (ok to phone in especially given the sprawling global employes presence across most teams...though that means APAC and EMEA hours in the workday)
    Investors see paypal as a "hot" company with a lot of runway potential ahead, albeit in a highly competitive field

Cons

Still building processes of a smoothly oiled mature company, though has been an incredibly fast learning org over the past few years
    Performance assessment process has gotten broadly mixed reviews, so is being revamped

Not sure we have nailed exactly how our core product is value add to consumers who face the choice of swiping cards at point of sale...should really move forward now with creating a loyalty program to even the playing field with credit cards.
    Spend more time training employees in execution skills, not just asking them to execute better

Adding good apples to a bad barrel

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great brand name. No one is in charge, so you can set any direction you like. Well, until your legacy employees complain. Great Indian food, if you like that.

Cons

These people are out of control and uneducated They filled an entire building directly from India and they wonder wtf why are these under qualified people making decisions that 8th graders from the USA would not make. Look at customer complaints of frozen accounts inside a black hole.

If you hire someone to do a job. Let that person do that job. Give them the tools, support and management cover to make it happen. Through the years and direction changes the company has experienced "bright flight" -- those bright enough to make the move elsewhere have left. Those remaining are embroilled, embittered, passive agressive "barnacles" on the hull of the ship. If you hire someone to brush clean the barnacles, you also need to protect their back when those barnacles start crying: "I don't want to leave, I don't want to change, HR complaint, save me from the new manager who "has meetings and measures my work"