PayPal

www.paypal.com

PayPal Reviews in United States

Updated Jul 24, 2014

John Donahoe

Pros
  • PayPal gives you enough flexibility to ensure a happy work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Interesting technical challenges and engaging work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Too slow to go to market; poor work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights
450 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoyed my experience for the most part.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExposure to latest technology and your chance to speak up

ConsPersonal growth can take a hit!

Okay place for a start

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

Prosbeneifts are great, working for a product that you believe in and use.

Consmanagement at this location could be alot better

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all things need to be changed, if its not broke then dont fix it.

Short title of review

Fraud Agent (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGreat benefits & pay is competitive

ConsMicro management is out of control

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant uphill battle with Product organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are decent folks in User Experience Design (UED) that try their best to do what's right for the user. Most senior executives are on the same page with us grunts and they advocate for organizational change (it's slow, but it IS happening). Things like "Customer Driven Innovation Program" are teaching managers how to actually think like a customers, which they've never done on their own before.

The benefits (health, free stuff, etc.) are great, and our cafeteria in San Jose was awesome (but in the other branches, not so much). I didn't get a chance to do the Employee Stock Purchase Program but I hear its super good too.

ConsThe Product Owners are a thick layer of "dead wood" middle management, as one person described it. Often, there are POs that have crazy amounts of control over just ONE webpage sometimes, so it's impossible to change anything on the site because they need to protect their jobs and the jobs of their direct reports. (And yes, they still wonder why we have so many different login screens and Web flow visual designs...couldn't be because the POs refuse to talk to each other, could it? No, ofcourse not.). They also push out features without ever knowing/researching true user needs, or even understanding their own technology. Frustrating!

The big "transformation" programs are a smokescreen. Many teams aren't doing proper Agile (bad story estimation, splitting/merging stories arbitrarily, cooking performance numbers, fudging or ignoring progress surveys), and some POs aren't even Agile trained even though it is required now. I've heard rumors of POs sending their employees to take trainings for them but I can say 100% if thats true or not. It wouldnt surprise me though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI left because I was fed up with the continual mistreatment of UED by Product. We are always involved much to late in the product design cycle. so by the time a PO thinks the bad product they're about to launch should have some design attention, we wind up having to a put a thin layer of paint over a bad foundation. There's still a HUGE "old guard" culture problem at PayPal and the head of Product refuses to recognize it, but instead wants to claim that everything is on the up-n-up. And the head of UED never stands up for us against him!

Unless this changes, PayPal will keep putting out useless, complicated, duplicate products and it will keep losing employees to other companies. Its just bound to happen.

Good place to work - great perks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork on latest payment trends

ConsSometimes difficult to get things done in a fast manner

Corporate Culture Needs an Overhaul

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood benefits, good work/life balance.

ConsThe corporate culture is HORRENDOUS. Coming into PayPal was like walking into a wall of glass shards. It is incredibly political and you are constantly paranoid that someone is out to back-stab you as everyone is only looking out for themselves. The competitive spirit amongst your peers and subordinates is so cut-throat - it's frightening. People here have promotion on their minds as soon as they step foot in the office and whatever they need to do to get to the next salary level, or the next prestigious title - they will stomp all over you without any shame. Don't expect to be trained, except for the usual required company-wide stuff on security, privacy, etc... You will be left to fend for yourself - at least I was and I created my own documentation as I trained myself. Most of the people managers there are newbies and are the worst kind you can ever imagine. Expect to be micromanaged and reprimanded for not knowing the ins & outs of something that is not within your domain....yeah go figure. There is serious nepotism at this company as it seems like everyone that works here are all related. If you are not in one of the upper castes, economic, or social circles, forget it - you'll get nowhere in this company. They will continue to treat you like a servant.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire/promote seasoned people managers as newbies are not cut-out for managing people that have been in the work force for 20+ years and to be treated worse than a dog is not cool - it is down right insulting.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Benefits, passionate people, poor management

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHighly competitive benefits
    Good work-life balance
    Talented and Passionate coworkers

Conspoor management
    do not retain talent
    review process is terrible and only worsens turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to actually reward individual employee achievements instead of grading on a curve.

Good place to work but a lot of politics

ProsPay is good and work-life balance is ok

ConsMiddle management is useless and there seems to be a never ending need to re-org

Awesome technology but culture has changed for the worse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostechnology, perks, benefits, pay scale, tremendous co-workers

ConsVery very political. Opportunities are now based on who you know not based on your work effort/results. Senior Management does not listen to mid-level folks, both IC and Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the reorgs and reward the people who actually do the work.

Great c-Workers

ProsGood benefits. Nice work environment. Good training program and thought out job descriptions. convenient location off the interstate. Good dress code policy.

ConsThere is not a lot of room for advancement. Big company with problems that come from being a big company. Would be nice to see more local managers being promoted.

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!