PayScale Reviews

3.9

PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Excellent

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

the office space is a little cramped

Great company, great people - hard work is highly valued and recognized!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PayScale is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Not only are they an innovator in the industry, their work culture and benefits are a step above the rest. Paid medical, 401(k) match, unlimited PTO, casual dress, and flexible hours. In addition, the office is all about parties – holiday, summer picnic, Fido Fridays, morning coffee-cart, football tailgating, baseball games, team events, paid lunches, etc. Working here has been a breath of fresh air! I love that I have visibility with the executives and my input on our services and website is valued. In fact, if you have a great idea on how to improve our product and process, it’s welcomed (and often incorporated)!

I am not in Sales, so I cannot speak to the experience in that group, but what I can say is if you work hard and are dedicated to your job, you’ll be recognized and rewarded. Days can sometimes be long/stressful because there is so much work to do and with how fast the organization is growing, it’s hard to keep up! Especially when/if there are people on your team that are not pulling their weight. That said, when/if you work late or over the weekend, it’s your choice – not your manager’s.

The organization is all about internal promotion and most of the time those promotions are well deserved. Despite what other reviewers may have you believe, favoritism is not an issue. Well, unless you consider it “playing favorites” to reward/recognize top performers who are dedicated to their job and their team. If you are looking for a job where you can just skate by, give minimal/no effort to your work, watch videos/surf the internet all day and hope that no one will notice, than this is not the company for you. If anything, I think management needs to come down harder on people who are doing the bare minimum and taking up space.

The majority of my coworkers are fantastic – they have integrity, take pride in their work, and are fun to be around. We work hard and we play hard. The people here have a variety of experience and being an expert in compensation / HR is not required. Anyone can learn to do what we do – but you have to be driven, have a solid work ethic, great project management/time management skills, and most of all be a team player. So if you are borderline obsessed with doing well and not currently being recognized for your efforts, come work for PayScale!

Cons

Due to our MASSIVE growth we have outgrown our space, so the office is a little...cramped, to say the least. Pay could also be higher (especially for the non-sales / non-development teams), though all the other perks make the total reward package better than most.

Continue what you're doing. Though we are a sales driven company, I like that recent efforts have been made to recognize the non-sales groups. Keep that up!

Long time employee, still extremely satisified

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at PayScale as a naive 24 year old with little-to-no related job experience, but the team recognized that I had potential (and, I hope I've realized some of what they saw). I've been continually handed more responsibility and control of our products and my destiny here. It's been a hell-of-a-ride, and I'm still looking forward to what we're working on.

Our product teams have been very lean for a long time, so we're very focused on what we're working on, and everyone on the team makes a big impact.

The culture combined with the work-life balance here is unparalleled. We work hard for 8 or 9 hours a day, then go home. We work on nights and weekends when necessary, but for the most part, that's only necessary in very extreme circumstances (site is crashing). Some of my coworkers have become some of my best friends.

Office location is amazing. Pioneer Square is totally ideal for small companies. It's the transportation hub of Seattle: buses, ferries, trains, bikes... it's really easy to get to. Some of the newest and best restaurants are popping up around us. Also, all the food of the ID/Chinatown -- so good.

Cons

We've been very lean for a long time -- so sometimes you're so busy it's hard to step back and view certain aspects from the high-level.

Continue to invest more in the technology team.

Fantastic people, great pay, and good, clear communication all around.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PayScale is a casual environment with great people who help each other. As someone who didn't have a huge background in sales, my managers at PayScale have given me as much training, advice, and guidance as I've needed to be successful, provided I put in the effort on my own part.

Additionally, I had to take some time off for medical reasons and HR and my managers at PayScale could not have been more accommodating. Every employer I've had has said that they care deeply about their employees' well-being, but none has demonstrated that sentiment to the extent that PayScale has.

The best part about working at PayScale is that our product is just plain good, and it's always improving. There's an honesty and integrity about our sales process that makes me feel good about what I do. I can't say that about any of my past jobs.

Cons

It wasn't really a con for me, but expectations are high, so be prepared to work hard to make your quotas (if in sales). You will be VERY well compensated, however.

Also we need an ice maker and an espresso machine. And sometimes we run out of cups.

High quality of life, low stress, challenging and meaningful work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We're a small tech company that is transforming how compensation data is done. This turns out to be a $1B industry and we're just scratching the surface, so there is huge potential because every business needs to know how to pay their people.

PayScale is a warm and friendly place to work. People have lunch together. Lots of laughter. There's an energetic buzz in the air. And people get to know each other across teams (I'm a developer but I have great relationships with people in Sales, Marketing, Account Management, etc).

Specific for the dev teams:
    We have a very lightweight agile-like process for getting things done. Work/life balance is excellent and it's not on accident -- mgmt explicitly encourages this because it leads to happy developers and better quality code. There is a culture of mentorship and willingness to help each other out as needed.

Code quality is good. Low turnover. I can depend on and trust my teammates to get things done and do it well. Lots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies and keep moving the platform and products forward. We've used a lot of Microsoft technologies in the past but we're rapidly incorporating open-source software across the full stack such as MongoDB, PhantomJS, and Knockout.

Every quarter we have hack day and spend the day writing code, exploring technologies, and eating good food. Many, many projects have turned into features in production. Feels like there's always some fun company activity going on, whether it's a party, trip to the Mariners game, picnic, or even bring-your-dog-to-work day.

Cons

Of course no company is perfect. I have some frustrations about PayScale but really they are so minor that it's not worth writing about. Ok, I'll give an example: there is sometimes friction between depts but you're going to find that at any company with more than a handful of people. Even with friction, I think most people will agree that the outcomes are best for the company.

What are the top or 3 key things holding us back? Let's solve them so we can grow even quicker.

Fun culture, great pay, challenging, but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to work because there really isn't any direct competition. When it comes to salary data, innovative technology, and expertise...nobody really competes. They're growing very fast and have been growing exponentially in both customers and data since I've been here over the past two years.

One great thing about working for a company that focuses on helping other companies retain and grow the best talent, they take care of their people. Salaries are very competitive, if you're successful. I find the job challenging because you're working with all different types of companies and most sales contacts are HR. The biggest challenge is that almost everyone loves the data and tools, but so many organizations today still don't give HR the credit and autonomy that they need to make the business a better place to work. Lots of consultative coaching involved and to be successful, you have to always be adapting and self-evaluating.

Once you are here for a while, there are a lot of external opportunities that open up because its a challenge and other local companies know that if you're successful here, you've got great potential.

I feel loyal to PayScale because they've shown a lot of faith and investment in me personally. I think its really that you get what you put in and they reward those who are enthusiastic and truly believe in the product. Open door management policy is also nice.

Cons

Typical pains of fast-growing companies...many areas need to grow but there are only so many resources to dedicate at a time. Need better branding because most people should know about PayScale by now...but most don't. That will probably come in time.

Company is kind of at capacity and career mobility is somewhat stagnant...not many places to go after sales but again, that will likely change as the company keeps growing.

Base salary could be more competitive for Sr. level AEs who have proven themselves....hard to retain these folks due to base salary and strong competition locally.

Need to send managers to training.

Send the managers to training to learn how to manage people...not just coach on sales strategy. Invest in outside sales training. To be a master, one must never stop training.

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

Cons

Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.

Great people, amazing product!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, hard working people who also know how to have fun and value work-life balance; cutting edge product that is completely changing the industry of salary survey data.

Cons

Ambitious pricing and goals sometimes seem arbitrarily high to me.

Keep in touch with your customer base and let any improvements and updates be driven by what customers want and need. Do not price the products above and beyond the market.

Great team environment and culture!

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment where your opinion really matters. It also seems like the company is really going places and changing the market we work in, so it is a really exciting place to be.

Cons

There is turnover in sales- but it seems to be in line with turnover from any sales dept.

Great experience in a innovative start-up environment

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hard/play hard environment. Lots of team building opportunities and access to executive team.

Cons

Instability due to economy at the time