PayScale

PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Best Place Ever!!!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome leadership team full of very intelligent people who encourage outside ideas for growth! Great people who are invested in their employees and totally transparent about direction of company

Cons

the office is in downtown Seattle, pioneer square (actually there are 2 offices). Commute benefits aren't the best and this will be helpful as the company is growing. that's really it though!! Great place to work

Keep up the great work

If you like silos and poor communication

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing alot, location, work hours and balance, fun activities for the 20 somethings, pay well

Cons

Your experience totally depends on what dept your in. They are all like separate companies that dont talk to eachother and have no consistency in how they operate. Lots of boys club drinking buddy favoritism. HR function is a joke other than benefits and pay are ok which is funny since we make an Hr product. The consumer business is shangri la while the b2b side is understaffed, confused, overworked, under supported yet the primary source of revenue. Sales is an overpaid frat house.

Excellent

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

It is a great place to work

Cons

the office space is a little cramped

Fun yet confusing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is fantastic. Everyone has high energy and are extremely nice. Located in Pioneer Square, you are close to many amazing restaurants and Mariners and Seahawks!

Cons

Management is not as transparent as they should be about bonuses and pay. People who do less work seem to be valued more than people who do it all.

Review with your subordinates how you expect them to perform on a regular basis. How their bonus and pay are affected and what type of goals you want to see from them through out the year.

Great company, great people - hard work is highly valued and recognized!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PayScale is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Not only are they an innovator in the industry, their work culture and benefits are a step above the rest. Paid medical, 401(k) match, unlimited PTO, casual dress, and flexible hours. In addition, the office is all about parties – holiday, summer picnic, Fido Fridays, morning coffee-cart, football tailgating, baseball games, team events, paid lunches, etc. Working here has been a breath of fresh air! I love that I have visibility with the executives and my input on our services and website is valued. In fact, if you have a great idea on how to improve our product and process, it’s welcomed (and often incorporated)!

I am not in Sales, so I cannot speak to the experience in that group, but what I can say is if you work hard and are dedicated to your job, you’ll be recognized and rewarded. Days can sometimes be long/stressful because there is so much work to do and with how fast the organization is growing, it’s hard to keep up! Especially when/if there are people on your team that are not pulling their weight. That said, when/if you work late or over the weekend, it’s your choice – not your manager’s.

The organization is all about internal promotion and most of the time those promotions are well deserved. Despite what other reviewers may have you believe, favoritism is not an issue. Well, unless you consider it “playing favorites” to reward/recognize top performers who are dedicated to their job and their team. If you are looking for a job where you can just skate by, give minimal/no effort to your work, watch videos/surf the internet all day and hope that no one will notice, than this is not the company for you. If anything, I think management needs to come down harder on people who are doing the bare minimum and taking up space.

The majority of my coworkers are fantastic – they have integrity, take pride in their work, and are fun to be around. We work hard and we play hard. The people here have a variety of experience and being an expert in compensation / HR is not required. Anyone can learn to do what we do – but you have to be driven, have a solid work ethic, great project management/time management skills, and most of all be a team player. So if you are borderline obsessed with doing well and not currently being recognized for your efforts, come work for PayScale!

Cons

Due to our MASSIVE growth we have outgrown our space, so the office is a little...cramped, to say the least. Pay could also be higher (especially for the non-sales / non-development teams), though all the other perks make the total reward package better than most.

Continue what you're doing. Though we are a sales driven company, I like that recent efforts have been made to recognize the non-sales groups. Keep that up!

If you're an actual HR/Comp professional, a minority, NOT in sales, and NOT a recent college grad, then stay away.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture: This depends on your perspective. If you like to hang out with other bro-ey type dudes and former sorority girls, then it's the perfect place for you. It's also a great place to start off your career if you have little to no experience. Employees like go out drinking here, and even enjoy a few beers and drinks in the office.

Work-Life Balance: Depending on the role you're in, there's a decent work-life balance that allows one to work from home as long as the manager approves. The employees also love to play ping pong. Often times you'll see the same folks playing ping-pong for hours.

Benefits and Compensation: Full benefits coverage for full-time employees

Cons

Culture: This is not a very diverse employer. They boast such trivial amenities like a ping pong table as if that alone makes up for the lack of professionalism and lack of consistency. It's an amazing company to work for only if you're in sales AND you're really good friends with any of the sales management, or a software developer. With that said, there are very few opportunities for advancement or to develop your career within the organization if you're not in sales. It's best to get some experience then jump ship to a better-paying employer with more career opportunities.

Management: Management loves (not likes) to play favorites, so expect to see a lot of favoritism in the form of opportunities going to people that are drinking buddies with the decision makers.

Work-Life Balance: This company likes to hire tons of sales folks and not very many others, so this puts a lot of stress on the non-sales people because they get tons more work. Also, the sales people often do not abide by the rules and do anything to get the sale like making promises that the operations teams can't fulfill. This will often add a lot of unnecessary work time and stress to the ops folks who already have their plates full.

Benefits and Compensation: Very inconsistent pay practices that border on discrimination. They promote some people and give them a hefty pay raise, and they promote others and don't give much of a pay raise at all. They offer pay raises to some with sub-par performance, and they give less of a pay increase to some excellent performers who are not white. Any wonder why there's not much diversity there?

It doesn't matter what advice we give. Their only intent is to make the board of directors money. The CEO is also on the board of directors. Go figure.

Long time employee, still extremely satisified

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at PayScale as a naive 24 year old with little-to-no related job experience, but the team recognized that I had potential (and, I hope I've realized some of what they saw). I've been continually handed more responsibility and control of our products and my destiny here. It's been a hell-of-a-ride, and I'm still looking forward to what we're working on.

Our product teams have been very lean for a long time, so we're very focused on what we're working on, and everyone on the team makes a big impact.

The culture combined with the work-life balance here is unparalleled. We work hard for 8 or 9 hours a day, then go home. We work on nights and weekends when necessary, but for the most part, that's only necessary in very extreme circumstances (site is crashing). Some of my coworkers have become some of my best friends.

Office location is amazing. Pioneer Square is totally ideal for small companies. It's the transportation hub of Seattle: buses, ferries, trains, bikes... it's really easy to get to. Some of the newest and best restaurants are popping up around us. Also, all the food of the ID/Chinatown -- so good.

Cons

We've been very lean for a long time -- so sometimes you're so busy it's hard to step back and view certain aspects from the high-level.

Continue to invest more in the technology team.

Worked at PayScale for 1.5 years

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PayScale has a great culture. The training is much improved. You are selling a product that is a bit of a standalone and the development is great, constantly upgrading. It can be a nice break from a very transnational sale so it is less stressful of an environment. Very good program for Sales Development, and room for them to get promoted to sales.

Cons

I would not recommend this job for a long time sales rep looking to really blossom. This is a great company for young go getters with little to no sales experience. The training is less hands on and more automated. Great training comes in time, which is something I would change. I learned some very key aspects after being there for 6 months and thought, I wish I knew that on day 3.

Promote more internal communication. Since sales is about finding your rhythm, make sure you are providing the environment to get full potential out of all your reps. Several reps from other teams mentioned not getting sales training or attention when they needed it, which you may read in other posts, however, they have fixed this issue since then. I came in as an experienced rep, I knew what had made me successful with other companies, I was anxious to ramp up quickly but there was a disconnect between my learning style and the coaching style. My advice in this case would be to take advantage of the situations where outside experiences may benefit success.

Avoid Sales

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, can walk everywhere.

Cons

Some of the worst sales management I have ever seen or even heard of. Teams work in silo's, dont' share training, ideas or even common goals, they end up competing against each other which is actually encouraged. Young talent doesn't equate to knowledgeable or experienced. One of their executive leaders is downright hostile, unless you are one of the 2-3 people that are in their inner circle. It is borderline verbal abuse. CEO does absolutely nothing about it, this company would be so much better if he paid attention and took some action. Turnover is outrageously high and has been a huge problem for several years but they prefer to bury their heads and ignore it instead of finding a solution. Only a few sales executives actually meet their goals. For a company that consults with other comapnies about high turnover, they need to listen to their own advice.

Instead of trying to be everyone's buddy that you go out and party with, take some action with your poor leadership.

Fantastic people, great pay, and good, clear communication all around.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PayScale is a casual environment with great people who help each other. As someone who didn't have a huge background in sales, my managers at PayScale have given me as much training, advice, and guidance as I've needed to be successful, provided I put in the effort on my own part.

Additionally, I had to take some time off for medical reasons and HR and my managers at PayScale could not have been more accommodating. Every employer I've had has said that they care deeply about their employees' well-being, but none has demonstrated that sentiment to the extent that PayScale has.

The best part about working at PayScale is that our product is just plain good, and it's always improving. There's an honesty and integrity about our sales process that makes me feel good about what I do. I can't say that about any of my past jobs.

Cons

It wasn't really a con for me, but expectations are high, so be prepared to work hard to make your quotas (if in sales). You will be VERY well compensated, however.

Also we need an ice maker and an espresso machine. And sometimes we run out of cups.