PayScale

PayScale Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger

Mike Metzger

Long time employee, still extremely satisified

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI started at PayScale as a naive 24 year old with little-to-no related job experience, but the team recognized that I had potential (and, I hope I've realized some of what they saw). I've been continually handed more responsibility and control of our products and my destiny here. It's been a hell-of-a-ride, and I'm still looking forward to what we're working on.

Our product teams have been very lean for a long time, so we're very focused on what we're working on, and everyone on the team makes a big impact.

The culture combined with the work-life balance here is unparalleled. We work hard for 8 or 9 hours a day, then go home. We work on nights and weekends when necessary, but for the most part, that's only necessary in very extreme circumstances (site is crashing). Some of my coworkers have become some of my best friends.

Office location is amazing. Pioneer Square is totally ideal for small companies. It's the transportation hub of Seattle: buses, ferries, trains, bikes... it's really easy to get to. Some of the newest and best restaurants are popping up around us. Also, all the food of the ID/Chinatown -- so good.

ConsWe've been very lean for a long time -- so sometimes you're so busy it's hard to step back and view certain aspects from the high-level.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest more in the technology team.

Worked at PayScale for 1.5 years

Account Executive (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPayScale has a great culture. The training is much improved. You are selling a product that is a bit of a standalone and the development is great, constantly upgrading. It can be a nice break from a very transnational sale so it is less stressful of an environment. Very good program for Sales Development, and room for them to get promoted to sales.

ConsI would not recommend this job for a long time sales rep looking to really blossom. This is a great company for young go getters with little to no sales experience. The training is less hands on and more automated. Great training comes in time, which is something I would change. I learned some very key aspects after being there for 6 months and thought, I wish I knew that on day 3.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more internal communication. Since sales is about finding your rhythm, make sure you are providing the environment to get full potential out of all your reps. Several reps from other teams mentioned not getting sales training or attention when they needed it, which you may read in other posts, however, they have fixed this issue since then. I came in as an experienced rep, I knew what had made me successful with other companies, I was anxious to ramp up quickly but there was a disconnect between my learning style and the coaching style. My advice in this case would be to take advantage of the situations where outside experiences may benefit success.

Avoid Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood location, can walk everywhere.

ConsSome of the worst sales management I have ever seen or even heard of. Teams work in silo's, dont' share training, ideas or even common goals, they end up competing against each other which is actually encouraged. Young talent doesn't equate to knowledgeable or experienced. One of their executive leaders is downright hostile, unless you are one of the 2-3 people that are in their inner circle. It is borderline verbal abuse. CEO does absolutely nothing about it, this company would be so much better if he paid attention and took some action. Turnover is outrageously high and has been a huge problem for several years but they prefer to bury their heads and ignore it instead of finding a solution. Only a few sales executives actually meet their goals. For a company that consults with other comapnies about high turnover, they need to listen to their own advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to be everyone's buddy that you go out and party with, take some action with your poor leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic people, great pay, and good, clear communication all around.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPayScale is a casual environment with great people who help each other. As someone who didn't have a huge background in sales, my managers at PayScale have given me as much training, advice, and guidance as I've needed to be successful, provided I put in the effort on my own part.

Additionally, I had to take some time off for medical reasons and HR and my managers at PayScale could not have been more accommodating. Every employer I've had has said that they care deeply about their employees' well-being, but none has demonstrated that sentiment to the extent that PayScale has.

The best part about working at PayScale is that our product is just plain good, and it's always improving. There's an honesty and integrity about our sales process that makes me feel good about what I do. I can't say that about any of my past jobs.

ConsIt wasn't really a con for me, but expectations are high, so be prepared to work hard to make your quotas (if in sales). You will be VERY well compensated, however.

Also we need an ice maker and an espresso machine. And sometimes we run out of cups.

High quality of life, low stress, challenging and meaningful work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWe're a small tech company that is transforming how compensation data is done. This turns out to be a $1B industry and we're just scratching the surface, so there is huge potential because every business needs to know how to pay their people.

PayScale is a warm and friendly place to work. People have lunch together. Lots of laughter. There's an energetic buzz in the air. And people get to know each other across teams (I'm a developer but I have great relationships with people in Sales, Marketing, Account Management, etc).

Specific for the dev teams:
    We have a very lightweight agile-like process for getting things done. Work/life balance is excellent and it's not on accident -- mgmt explicitly encourages this because it leads to happy developers and better quality code. There is a culture of mentorship and willingness to help each other out as needed.

Code quality is good. Low turnover. I can depend on and trust my teammates to get things done and do it well. Lots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies and keep moving the platform and products forward. We've used a lot of Microsoft technologies in the past but we're rapidly incorporating open-source software across the full stack such as MongoDB, PhantomJS, and Knockout.

Every quarter we have hack day and spend the day writing code, exploring technologies, and eating good food. Many, many projects have turned into features in production. Feels like there's always some fun company activity going on, whether it's a party, trip to the Mariners game, picnic, or even bring-your-dog-to-work day.

ConsOf course no company is perfect. I have some frustrations about PayScale but really they are so minor that it's not worth writing about. Ok, I'll give an example: there is sometimes friction between depts but you're going to find that at any company with more than a handful of people. Even with friction, I think most people will agree that the outcomes are best for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat are the top or 3 key things holding us back? Let's solve them so we can grow even quicker.

Fun culture, great pay, challenging, but not perfect

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIts a great place to work because there really isn't any direct competition. When it comes to salary data, innovative technology, and expertise...nobody really competes. They're growing very fast and have been growing exponentially in both customers and data since I've been here over the past two years.

One great thing about working for a company that focuses on helping other companies retain and grow the best talent, they take care of their people. Salaries are very competitive, if you're successful. I find the job challenging because you're working with all different types of companies and most sales contacts are HR. The biggest challenge is that almost everyone loves the data and tools, but so many organizations today still don't give HR the credit and autonomy that they need to make the business a better place to work. Lots of consultative coaching involved and to be successful, you have to always be adapting and self-evaluating.

Once you are here for a while, there are a lot of external opportunities that open up because its a challenge and other local companies know that if you're successful here, you've got great potential.

I feel loyal to PayScale because they've shown a lot of faith and investment in me personally. I think its really that you get what you put in and they reward those who are enthusiastic and truly believe in the product. Open door management policy is also nice.

ConsTypical pains of fast-growing companies...many areas need to grow but there are only so many resources to dedicate at a time. Need better branding because most people should know about PayScale by now...but most don't. That will probably come in time.

Company is kind of at capacity and career mobility is somewhat stagnant...not many places to go after sales but again, that will likely change as the company keeps growing.

Base salary could be more competitive for Sr. level AEs who have proven themselves....hard to retain these folks due to base salary and strong competition locally.

Need to send managers to training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend the managers to training to learn how to manage people...not just coach on sales strategy. Invest in outside sales training. To be a master, one must never stop training.

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

ProsThe company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

ConsOther departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.

Great people, amazing product!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIntelligent, hard working people who also know how to have fun and value work-life balance; cutting edge product that is completely changing the industry of salary survey data.

ConsAmbitious pricing and goals sometimes seem arbitrarily high to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in touch with your customer base and let any improvements and updates be driven by what customers want and need. Do not price the products above and beyond the market.

Poor experience

Sales (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood product, decent work life balance for most, good location if you want to work downtown. They try to have fun events every couple of months. My manager was great.

ConsExecutive leadership is weak, absolutely no collaboration across the sales teams, they compete against each other rather than work together and executive leadership seems to prefer it that way. Very high turnover, can be difficult to make it in the short period of time they give you without consideration of the economy and or region.

Advice to Senior ManagementGenuinely listen to what your employees are trying to tell you, most of them are too fearful to speak up. Take some much needed action.

Great team environment and culture!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCollaborative environment where your opinion really matters. It also seems like the company is really going places and changing the market we work in, so it is a really exciting place to be.

ConsThere is turnover in sales- but it seems to be in line with turnover from any sales dept.

Worked for PayScale? Contribute to the Community!