PayScale Reviews

4.3
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

1. Featured Review

If you enjoy new challenges, are self motivated, and work well in a warm, but actively changing environment.

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with great people. PayScale puts a huge emphasis on hiring the right people and building an atmosphere and culture that promotes collaboration, teamwork, and a general feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

It can sometimes feel like there is more talk than action - which leads to decisions being made on certain projects that seem abrupt (but are perhaps a result of needing to just choose a course and move forward after a certain amount of discussion). With an emphasis on collaboration and teamwork, it can sometimes be hard to figure out 'who's in charge' of a particular project.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging communication & leadership and don't let current initiatives fizzle out.

Bright Future!

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

work - life balance, real work - life balance, if you come into the office at 5:00 pm there might be a few people...but everyone else goes home! The leadership team has great tenure and truly cares about the employees. Casual office environment. Everyone on the same team, working towards the same goals. FIDO Fridays! Very generous benefits package, unlimited PTO. Moving into a new office in the next few weeks. Huge opportunity for growth, company is doing great and all signs are pointing up and to the right.

Cons

The company moves fast, if you are interested in sitting in a corner and doing the same thing for the next several years PayScale isn't the right place for you. We move quick, things change all the time, have to be flexible and open to new things.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, very confident in your ability to execute over the coming years!

3. Awesome Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic work force that is flexible with your needs. This company really believes in working hard and playing hard. If you bust your butt, you will be rewarded. I can honestly say I am fortunate that I work at a place that allows for endless growth and advancement. I have been working here for almost a year and in that 1 year I have made more money, and have had more fun than I have ever had at any other job in the past.

Cons

No real cons to this company. If you aren't comfortable with working hard or a growing "late stage" start up this may not be for you... I'm not sure who wouldn't want that though.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the people first. As long as the company keeps investing in the people (which there are no signs of them not) there will be continued growth and revenue will keep rising.

5. Hands down best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Compensation Professional and Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with a smarter, more fun, more driven group of people. I seriously have to be careful talking about my job with my friends because I think it gets obnoxious how happy I am. Great level of trust and transparency from the leadership, awesome benefits, and a killer workspace.

Cons

I honestly really struggle with the cons. I guess the biggest con is during Mariner's and Seahawks season it gets a little crowded near our office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't loose the energy and culture - it's so refreshingly different than any other work place!

6. Lots of potential for top performers

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is an unstated policy at PayScale: they under reward low performers and over reward top performers, and that is certainly true. In a good way. Top sales people make enough to retire in a few years, while underperfomers make a fraction of that. There are a bunch of different roles, but for those just starting out their sales career there is a lot of opportunity here, particularly in the Account Development Representative program. At times it can be a grind, always working to make one more call to reach your goals. However, it provides an incredible foundation to the organization and gives you exposure to the wide world of compensation. For people who are consistently hitting their numbers and exhibiting leadership characteristics, it's the best entry point to become an Account Executive. People who have gone through this program tend to have the greatest success once they move into the Account Executive role, both financially and in terms of longevity. There's also a collaborative and congenial work environment, with tons of after hours perks. Pairing that with the integrity of the product we sell (it actually HELPS people), it's easy to see why PayScale is one of the top SaaS companies to work for in the region.

Cons

At times information and expectations can be kept in a silo or not communicated clearly. There are a lot of moving targets here, particularly as the company grows and brings on new staff. It takes a lot of internal motivation and perseverance to really thrive while trying to meet shifting priorities.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly and openly with the staff about expectations and promotions. We can all take bad news, what we can't take (and plan around) is no news. Other than that, keep building new products and expanding, you have an incredible team that's willing to go the extra mile!

Goal Oriented, Progressive and Innovative

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

The organization is constantly looking for new ways to innovate in a space not know for strategic thinking, which in turns helps the current employees. With an innovative organization, they value every single employee's, client's and community's opinions, as they are constantly trying to improve and advance. This has created so many opportunities for current employees and has created a family atmosphere with colleagues.

Cons

With so much always going on in a growing organization, and change happening on a constant basis, some strategies have not had a chance to see if they really work or if they should continue down certain paths.

Advice to Management

Give time for different strategies to take place and possibly intermingle the teams a bit more. Other than that, PayScale has been a wonderful place to work and I look forward to many more years with the company if you'll have me.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture - we know how to have a good time Great work/life balance - very few late nights so far P/E backed - no stupid public company distractions! They invest in their employees - lots of great professional education so far Great space - new building looking awesome!

Cons

The office is great but the neighborhood is very hit/miss. Pioneer Square is transitioning Leadership needs a strategic plan - lots of variables, not a lot of direction Growth can be painful - lots to do, not enough time to do it.

Advice to Management

Invest more in product dev!

9. Nice place to cut your teeth

Current Employee - CS Team in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CS Team in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-PayScale has great work/life balance and is the primary reason I enjoy working here. -There is room for advancement but lately more entry level roles than advancement openings. - The executive team does a good job of keeping the company informed and also remaining approachable despite our rapid growth. - Pay is fair, but I wouldn't say it's above market compared to similar companies. - I feel like my manager is approachable and is open to feedback. Whether the feedback is put into action is a toss up. But I feel heard and that's what is important to me. - PS hires great people who are all hard working, go-getters. I enjoy working with my team and consider many of them friends.

Cons

- Didn't feel like we were ready to deal with all of the growth as of late and it's been an uncomfortable transition. -It's a very dominant sales organization and that department is recognized and rewarded more than other non-sales department which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Let's drink our own champagne and have more pay transparency that we promote to our customers. Right now it's more murky than transparent. Also, equip managers to have those conversations with their employees.

Great growing company, with tons of opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for years, and it's the best company I've ever worked for. Awesome culture, great people, rapid growth in both size and career. Very supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Its a tough sale. Not an easy gig. But work hard, adapt, listen, and you can make a lot of money selling a rewarding product.

11. Great Company

I have been working at PayScale (Less than a year)

Pros

The Culture here is fantastic, very team orientated, motivating, and supportive (even in sales). The growth within the company provides interesting challenges as well as opportunities. Benefits are also great, with an unlimited PTO policy, Fido Fridays (bring your dog to work day), all company parties and events, and the beautiful pioneer square right out the window, Overall PayScale has been a wonderful place to work.

Cons

As the company grows, which is a good thing, it definitely creates challenges from being very busy, to playing catch up, to re-structuring entire processes. This can be difficult but who doesn't like a good challenge :)

RSS Feed </> Embed