PayScale

Updated December 1, 2014
3.9

PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

High quality of life, low stress, challenging and meaningful work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We're a small tech company that is transforming how compensation data is done. This turns out to be a $1B industry and we're just scratching the surface, so there is huge potential because every business needs to know how to pay their people.

PayScale is a warm and friendly place to work. People have lunch together. Lots of laughter. There's an energetic buzz in the air. And people get to know each other across teams (I'm a developer but I have great relationships with people in Sales, Marketing, Account Management, etc).

Specific for the dev teams:
    We have a very lightweight agile-like process for getting things done. Work/life balance is excellent and it's not on accident -- mgmt explicitly encourages this because it leads to happy developers and better quality code. There is a culture of mentorship and willingness to help each other out as needed.

Code quality is good. Low turnover. I can depend on and trust my teammates to get things done and do it well. Lots of opportunity to incorporate new technologies and keep moving the platform and products forward. We've used a lot of Microsoft technologies in the past but we're rapidly incorporating open-source software across the full stack such as MongoDB, PhantomJS, and Knockout.

Every quarter we have hack day and spend the day writing code, exploring technologies, and eating good food. Many, many projects have turned into features in production. Feels like there's always some fun company activity going on, whether it's a party, trip to the Mariners game, picnic, or even bring-your-dog-to-work day.

Cons

Of course no company is perfect. I have some frustrations about PayScale but really they are so minor that it's not worth writing about. Ok, I'll give an example: there is sometimes friction between depts but you're going to find that at any company with more than a handful of people. Even with friction, I think most people will agree that the outcomes are best for the company.

What are the top or 3 key things holding us back? Let's solve them so we can grow even quicker.

Fun culture, great pay, challenging, but not perfect

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to work because there really isn't any direct competition. When it comes to salary data, innovative technology, and expertise...nobody really competes. They're growing very fast and have been growing exponentially in both customers and data since I've been here over the past two years.

One great thing about working for a company that focuses on helping other companies retain and grow the best talent, they take care of their people. Salaries are very competitive, if you're successful. I find the job challenging because you're working with all different types of companies and most sales contacts are HR. The biggest challenge is that almost everyone loves the data and tools, but so many organizations today still don't give HR the credit and autonomy that they need to make the business a better place to work. Lots of consultative coaching involved and to be successful, you have to always be adapting and self-evaluating.

Once you are here for a while, there are a lot of external opportunities that open up because its a challenge and other local companies know that if you're successful here, you've got great potential.

I feel loyal to PayScale because they've shown a lot of faith and investment in me personally. I think its really that you get what you put in and they reward those who are enthusiastic and truly believe in the product. Open door management policy is also nice.

Cons

Typical pains of fast-growing companies...many areas need to grow but there are only so many resources to dedicate at a time. Need better branding because most people should know about PayScale by now...but most don't. That will probably come in time.

Company is kind of at capacity and career mobility is somewhat stagnant...not many places to go after sales but again, that will likely change as the company keeps growing.

Base salary could be more competitive for Sr. level AEs who have proven themselves....hard to retain these folks due to base salary and strong competition locally.

Need to send managers to training.

Send the managers to training to learn how to manage people...not just coach on sales strategy. Invest in outside sales training. To be a master, one must never stop training.

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

Cons

Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.

Great people, amazing product!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, hard working people who also know how to have fun and value work-life balance; cutting edge product that is completely changing the industry of salary survey data.

Cons

Ambitious pricing and goals sometimes seem arbitrarily high to me.

Keep in touch with your customer base and let any improvements and updates be driven by what customers want and need. Do not price the products above and beyond the market.

Great team environment and culture!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment where your opinion really matters. It also seems like the company is really going places and changing the market we work in, so it is a really exciting place to be.

Cons

There is turnover in sales- but it seems to be in line with turnover from any sales dept.

good

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

this place is fun for younger staff

Cons

lots of turnover and bad communication

Poor experience

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, decent work life balance for most, good location if you want to work downtown. They try to have fun events every couple of months. My manager was great.

Cons

Executive leadership is weak, absolutely no collaboration across the sales teams, they compete against each other rather than work together and executive leadership seems to prefer it that way. Very high turnover, can be difficult to make it in the short period of time they give you without consideration of the economy and or region.

Genuinely listen to what your employees are trying to tell you, most of them are too fearful to speak up. Take some much needed action.

Different experiences for different departments

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are on the Sales, Development, or Consumer teams, this is a fantastic place to work. New business teams are treated like gods. Consumer team seems to work about 30 hours a week.

Cons

All other departments are short-staffed, undervalued, highly stressed, and worked to death.

Great experience in a innovative start-up environment

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hard/play hard environment. Lots of team building opportunities and access to executive team.

Cons

Instability due to economy at the time

Great Start-Up

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Company culture is great. They have monthly quota clubs, presidents club, etc..
    * Pay is great. You must understand that NO COMPANY is going to pay for under performing. But unlike other companies PayScale OVERPAYS for over performing. There is money to make if you're willing to do what is necessary......your job!
    * After work for other organization, I realized that the Executive staff has a solid business plan and actually knows what they are doing. Excellent growth, great product, great people.

Cons

* It's a start up and some of the process could be polished a bit but that with any start-up
    * There should be more collaboration between development dept. and the AE's/ Sales Managers. The sales team has a good understanding of some of the enhancements that could be made to the product to close more business.