PayScale Reviews

PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

Cons

Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.

Great people, amazing product!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, hard working people who also know how to have fun and value work-life balance; cutting edge product that is completely changing the industry of salary survey data.

Cons

Ambitious pricing and goals sometimes seem arbitrarily high to me.

Keep in touch with your customer base and let any improvements and updates be driven by what customers want and need. Do not price the products above and beyond the market.

Great team environment and culture!

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment where your opinion really matters. It also seems like the company is really going places and changing the market we work in, so it is a really exciting place to be.

Cons

There is turnover in sales- but it seems to be in line with turnover from any sales dept.

good

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

this place is fun for younger staff

Cons

lots of turnover and bad communication

Different experiences for different departments

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are on the Sales, Development, or Consumer teams, this is a fantastic place to work. New business teams are treated like gods. Consumer team seems to work about 30 hours a week.

Cons

All other departments are short-staffed, undervalued, highly stressed, and worked to death.

Poor experience

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, decent work life balance for most, good location if you want to work downtown. They try to have fun events every couple of months. My manager was great.

Cons

Executive leadership is weak, absolutely no collaboration across the sales teams, they compete against each other rather than work together and executive leadership seems to prefer it that way. Very high turnover, can be difficult to make it in the short period of time they give you without consideration of the economy and or region.

Genuinely listen to what your employees are trying to tell you, most of them are too fearful to speak up. Take some much needed action.

Great experience in a innovative start-up environment

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hard/play hard environment. Lots of team building opportunities and access to executive team.

Cons

Instability due to economy at the time

Great Start-Up

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Company culture is great. They have monthly quota clubs, presidents club, etc..
    * Pay is great. You must understand that NO COMPANY is going to pay for under performing. But unlike other companies PayScale OVERPAYS for over performing. There is money to make if you're willing to do what is necessary......your job!
    * After work for other organization, I realized that the Executive staff has a solid business plan and actually knows what they are doing. Excellent growth, great product, great people.

Cons

* It's a start up and some of the process could be polished a bit but that with any start-up
    * There should be more collaboration between development dept. and the AE's/ Sales Managers. The sales team has a good understanding of some of the enhancements that could be made to the product to close more business.

Big opportunities for those who are willing to work for them!

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

I've worked for this company for a couple years and am surprised to see some of the negative reviews posted here. I have received nothing but support from the upper management, and also have been able to earn a great living and have a better lifestyle than any I could have expected at my age (mid twenties). This company requires hard work, but there is huge reward for good performance. Some of the other reviews talk about turnover, and like any company that has a sales team, there is some turnover. However, the management staff is very fair and very clear about expectations. In my experience, the people who have left have been very set in their "selling" ways, and not willing to take advice from their peers when their tactics don't work, or they are the type of person who spends the day on Facebook or some other personal business and then hopes to have a sale land in their lap. The last thing I would say is that the people at this company are really wonderful. We regularly go out for happy hours, we've gone to Mariner's & Seahawks games, as well as a number of random fun activities (whirleyball, curling, etc.). Overall, I feel lucky to work for a company that has been willing to invest in me as much as they have.

Cons

The company is a "start up", and sometimes you have to be willing to go with the flow. There isn't always perfect structure to all processes.

Great Sales Experience

I have been working at PayScale

Pros

The Sales Managers really take the time to invest in their Account Executives, and it shows. The AEs who don't make it are likely not cut out for sales in general, or are used to a more transactional type of sale (one call close) and unable to adapt to our unique product and sales process. The ones who succeed are rewarded by recognition from peers and management, but more importantly (to me) with cash. There are no caps on commissions, quarterly bonuses, and there's a year-end bonus as well. Management's philosophy is to overpay for overperformance, which is something I've really appreciated during my tenure. It's a fun place to work with a great team atmosphere.

Cons

It is a small/mid-sized company, so there is not a clear cut process for every situation. You have to be willing to take extra time to learn the product and troubleshoot out on your own, and know when to lean on your manager for guidance.

Help sales be more effective by providing them with up-to-date marketing material