Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month(in 38 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best(in 27 reviews)

The company culture was dreary, at best

Client Service Advisor (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsDecent name on a resume

ConsEveryone feels upset or Frustrated

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employees and be more positive

Say Yes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, Great Paid Time Off

ConsConstructive criticism or pointing out a better way to do something= no growth.

Great people, smothering environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsI love the people that I work with, and it looks good to have Paychex on a resume.

ConsThe department I work in is very disorganized and there is a lot of micro-managing going on. This department keeps changing they way they want to do things with no good plan in place to do it. Makes for a very stressful job environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe pros of working here are that bonus checks are normally pretty decent. Paychex as a company is doing well it seem and they like to share that with their employees. Also the 401k and employee benefits are great, I love my health benefits and have no complaints. Most employees are nice and there is a great mix of ages here. Also great health programs with Amazon gift cards as rewards and free flu shots and health screening on site.

ConsThere is a lot of channels you have to go through to move up in the company, while they promote and encourage your growth in the company you have to jump through a few hoops to get there depending on how low on the totem pole you are it is hard to transition from your position due to lack of mid range supervisory positions. Also there is no work-life balance, yes you do get time off but accrual rates are low and it is frowned upon asking to leave early or taking more than 2 days off in a row on PTO. Flex scheduling is non existent and it is hard to fit in life when 8 hours of it is spent at your desk. Also technology is behind here, but it is moving in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to promote work life balance, create options for employees that work for the business and the employees.

Great opportunity for learning

ProsI like the benefits offered to employees, the variety of positions available and the ability to relocate. Paychex is big on training opportunities and having fun in the workplace. They also support a work/life balance.

ConsThey can improve on diversity and inclusion efforts. Although it's a good company to work for, they can always improve of financial pay (not bonuses or commissions but base/yearly salary)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved with day to day workflow to have a better understanding of what your employees do and listen to their feedback to improve on customer service and ethics of the company. Improve on the diversity and inclusion efforts. Have employees who strongly believe in these efforts be apart of the process to volunteer on their own and have better results. Promote based on experience and integrity. Give those who truly deserve to grow the opportunitiy too.

Business to Business sales representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsPaychex is a great company. The benefit package is great and the people are great. Extensive training once hired. The business model is solid.

ConsNeeds to have ore training in the field.

Confessions of a Former HRG

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros2 week initial training followed up by 1 week training after 1st 6 months on job; client training seminars; dedicated support team (payroll, benefits, 401k, safety, handbooks). Good gig for Generalists with less than 2 years exempt experience. You will learn HR from the ground up and have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to a variety of different industries--provided you have a strong/supportive Area Manager and reasonable client load.

ConsThe working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best. It's the same with all ASOs and PEOs, sales will over promise and you, the HRG, will be forced to fill in the gaps between inflated expectations vs. the reality of what you can deliver. Expect clients to expect all guidance/deliverables in 90 days since service is expensive and that's how long client needs to be retained for sales rep to earn their commissions without charge-backs. You will learn that MANY clients are on the 90 day track. ;

Also, if you are a strong HRG, expected to be "rewarded" with 60 plus clients. This will NOT affect your salary or bonus since it's based on entire office performance. What control you do have lies in the client satisfaction surveys, but don't expect that to have much impact if you are one of the lucky few who carries the majority of the client load for your office. Not a meritocracy. Based on favoritism and politics. No rhyme or reason behind the assignment of territories. You will burn out. Maximum tenure should be 3 years. After that your skill set will become obsolete as you will spend more time putting out fires. Also no advancement opportunities internally unless you want to wait 10 yrs for an Area Mgr job to open. The "HRC" job is basically a little bit more pay (but still low compared to external market) and larger client companies. That's about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is below market. You'll have Office Mgrs as client contacts earning more than you do. They have a forward-thinking National HR Manager (who comes from a real professional services firm) who is supported by complacent Regional Mgrs (some have risen up ranks in company with 20 plus years in tenure--not exactly a good thing when promoting change and fresh ideas) and Area Managers equally comfortable with status quo. Don't mean to sound bitter. Just being honest here.

Great Experience made to feel very welcome

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGroup was very friendly and was willing to help in any way. Very good hands on training where needed. Like that there is some flexibility in schedule

ConsLocation is a commute but they have other offices in various locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Sales manager

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEarly years had great leadership, with change of leadership employee morale took turn for the worse and middle managers where not in tune with company objectives. Good solid pay and fantastic training

ConsNot the opportunity it used to have for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics when company was younger,

Great Company

ProsCEO has an interest in our company and puts his heart into it.

Consif you have worked here any length of time, people coming in make more money than you do.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!