Paychex
www.paychex.com Rochester, NY 5000+ Employees

Paychex Reviews

Pros:
  • "I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Expect to be putting out fires with clients as they were given unreasonable expectations/promises from the sales reps"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Can Judge really recognize what's happening in cubicle world?

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsIt is a successful company!

ConsGood ole boy network where you have to "grow up" within the company to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that some of your leaders are not quailified...perform 360 reviews and not with "safe" people.

Paychex needs to listen to their employees more!

Developer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsTo be in the security team and work on projects.

ConsMundane maintenance work along with lack of work for an intern. Biggest problem is that manager seems not to have read my resume and understand all the leadership experience I have; she tends to go on about how I should attend large meetings to listen to upper management present and learn from them. Also doesn't help that I tend to "run out of work" and my team doesn't communicate as well as it should; a lot of repeated work occurs because of this. The other HUGE problem I have is the ridiculous dress code for IT employees. There's NO reason that IT employees need to be dressed in a suit everyday just to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours. When meeting with clients, yes, you need to dress up more; but regular, day to day work, there's no reason why we can't wear just a generic collared shirt and nice jeans/khakis

Advice to Senior Managementthe IT department needs to be allowed more casual dress. You also NEED younger people in this department; there's alot of slow business processes and people unwilling to change because you don't have a good mix of a younger crowd with new ideas.

Good place to start your career but not a good place to retire.

Agency Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible, Family Oriented, Opportunity, Well known, Experience

ConsToo many levels of managment, which often leads to lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementBridge the gap between departments. We are suppose to work together not against one another.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paychex, a great career starter...

IT Support (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsPaychex can be a great place to work. Having a lot of knowledge and skills does not mean you can advance in the company or get paid a lot. It is a great place to start your career and get the skills needed to get a well paid career. Paychex offers tons of training and do pay for school.

ConsHaving the knowledge and skillset does not mean easy promotion or salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do have a great recognition program and the employees are well recognized, but the employee's worth is not shown in their paycheck.

Good place to work

IT Support (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsGreat benefits and amazing stability top the list. It takes time to climb the ladder, but you know you have a job/career to go to each day. That is indeed priceless. That and they are flexible enough to allow us to work 4 10 hour shifts that result in 3 day weekends.

ConsI had to take a hefty pay cut to take this position. This combined with a 2 year commitment before I can move up to a new position within IT are the biggest downfalls. At the end of the day I know I have a job to go to every day, and a career to advance. In my opinion the good well out weighs the bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work towards a partial "work from home" culture to help employees save gas cost.

Great place to receive training. Be ready for the fast pase and high stress.

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Owings Mills, MD

ProsA great place to start a career. Paychex has a great training program.

ConsIs fast paste and high stress never enough time to truly support the clients the way you want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your management team. Don't just replace them every 2 years.

great training opps. little vacation, low pay, but nice enough otherwise.

Developer V (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsGood place to get training. The company is stable and large enough to feel secure that it will be around for awhile - we have never had mass layoffs. At the same time, the company is still small and new enough that opportunities for advancement still exist. One of the most stable companies in Rochester. A lot of females work in IT at Paychex compared to the IT departments in other companies - approximately 50% of IT workforce is female - including approximately 50% of management. If you can get by the lower than average pay, and 2 weeks vaca it is a nice place to work with good opportunity.

Cons2 weeks vacation to start at all levels - non-negotiable. The pay is low compared to other companies in the area. Individual groups within IT all work in silos. Senior IT management isn't technical - hard to push modern technologies into production (still have working COBOL, PowerBuilder and Delphi apps in production!) - however we are getting there with some recent J2EE and .NET development.

Advice to Senior Managementretire

Great company and great people

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Bernardino, CA

ProsThe company is based on good old fashioned principles. No worries about our financials -- the company has no debt.

ConsPayroll gets boring after awhile

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money on technology and marketing.

It's tough... but it's good training in sales

National Sales Support (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsEmployee Growth and Benefits.
    Training in sales and customer service.
    Gain proper social skills and develop friendships with your co-workers.
    Makes the sales environment competitive and fun.
    If you meet your sales expectations you can make Conference, which is a trip to Maui or Atlantis.

ConsLong hours, a lot of rejection, impossible quotas.
    Low hourly pay.
    Will do what it takes to steal a sale from you.
    An inability to call the western regions of the United States after the time of 1 PM. It makes it very difficult to generate leads to the Sales Reps in that time zone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it fun.

Great company, Highly recommended.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Manchester, NH

ProsGreat company with no micro-management.
    Reps are given the autonomy to make business decisions and create mutually beneficial relationships with CPA's and Bankers to generate refferals. Managers are supportive and want you to suceed so are more then happy to offer support and advice. If you have a bad month they will analyse the reasons for this and even go on appointments to help you get back on track. Sales Manager that can walk the walk is great.
    Its not an easy job but I am satisfied with the workload and the compensation at Paychex. We are treated with respect and its not a hard product. You just have to get in front of as many people as possible.

ConsNone. The job is tough but most the employees seem to enjoy the challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much paper work

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paychex CEO Martin Mucci. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees.