Paychex
www.paychex.com Rochester, NY 5000+ Employees

Paychex Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Great training for onboarding and ongoing"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Expect to be putting out fires with clients as they were given unreasonable expectations/promises from the sales reps"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

brief review

Senior Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Paychex

Prosgood employee benefits, excellent job security

Conshuge disparity between abilities of managers. Some are excellent, others are dreadful.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate with "lower level" employees more frequently

Paychex is the best company to gain business sales training. They want you to win.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Paychex

ProsPacychex has a great culture. They create a winning attitude and help you maintain it.

ConsTheir sales model is similar to others in that you must call on current clients to get referrals that you did not sell to. Cold calling CPA's to establish to generate leads hopefully. In certain territories CPA's welcome payroll reps, other areas they despise them. Weekly reports must show balanced activity of customers and CPA's regardless if you are getting referrals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Paychex is a well oiled machine with a formula that works for the most part.

Management needs to wake up at Paychex

IT Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

ProsLocal company with stability growth opportunity.

ConsLow wages, poor management with no real vision

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to look down the management path - there are people running the place that really don't know much about our business!

Best place to work but with lower pay

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

I worked at Paychex

ProsThe company is very ethical and feels like home, everyone is very nice and respectful...No dog eat dog corporate mentality. I regret ever leaving the company, they are huge about communications and my boss was a great one, very supportive. The benefits were great and they care about their employees well being, not a typical corporate environment which is great!

ConsThe one and only downfall was the pay, it was not up to par with competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees on the higher end of the pay scale and this would be a job they would stay in for years.

Ok

Senior Payroll Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paychex

ProsGreat benefits.Seems like my job is secure which is important right now. Good training program.

ConsLow pay compared to other payroll companies. No PTO time allowded around the holidays(in their defense, they do tell you this during the interview process but still..hopefully you don't have family that lives far away). To much expected for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe earn our PTO, let us take it when we want. We shouldn't have to work Christmas Eve.

For performers ONLY

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Lehigh Valley, PA

I have been working at Paychex

ProsSuper environment for sales performers, well respected in the industry. Accountants, financial advisors and insurance agents all refer Paychex to their clients. High reward levels including trips and a six figure income. Ultimate job security if you are hitting your number, and the numbers are really reasonable.

ConsStressful for non-performers. If you can't look in the mirror, this isn't the place for you. This is a hunting environment, not a place where you can develop a territory, and take re-orders or residuals after a few years. Every sale is a new client.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for senior sales representatives. Most training stops in the first 6 months of employment.

Paychex is a great place to work.

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex

ProsThe sense of community and great communication.

ConsThey invest heavily in their sales department and not in operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the roles of those responsible for client retention.

Satisfied employee

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Paychex

ProsPaychex offers great initial as well as ongoing training. They have a a good name in the market so prospects feel good about using you. There is a definite need for the services that they sell. If you do a good job then you will be rewarded with plenty of incentives. There are several places you can turn to when developing referral sources.

ConsIt seems as though moving into management is the only way for a salesperson to grow professionally. If you are not wanting management there is not much room for growth. There are several divisions within the company and they are not all on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be helpful if a long term salesperson could have other avenues for advancement outside of becoming a Distirct Sales Manager perhaps Senior or more specialized roles.

There are worse jobs - way worse!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paychex

ProsPaychex is a stable company with good benefits package. There are office locations nationwide which offer employees many internal transfer possibilities. Paychex offers a wide range of business segments which allows employees to broaden their horizons and branch out to new job experiences and skill sets. Everyday presents new challenges in working with clients. It is extremely satisfying to answer a question or resolve a problem for an appreciative client. The positive response from the clients is what makes the hard work and long hours worthwhile. Coordinating systems and people at Paychex is an ongoing effort which management truly embraces.

ConsWhat we have here - is a failure to communicate! Management often says one thing and does another making it difficult for the front line employees to see a clear direction for themselves and the organization as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees

Fun laid back place to work, not necessarily full-filling though

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Webster, NY

I worked at Paychex

ProsGood company, lots of freedom as software developer. Had the ability to come up with my own ideas about the best way to implement the pieces of the software that I was given. Requirements were well documented and reviewed by the group before development starts. Requirements do frequently change but they are willing to listen to ideas, and even make changes based on developers inputs. The work environment is fairly laid back, people often take 10-15minutes breaks during the day to talk to other people. Overall the work was enjoyable and you had the opportunity to create something that would be seen by end users.

ConsThe pay and benefits was lower than other similar jobs in the area. Performance reviews were not overly helpful (but also didn't go into the typical go fill out this spreadsheet and tell me what you did this year). Managers are interested in their employees but don't necessarily have the power to help them. The first line managers were mostly ex-engineers who moved up the ladder and eventually decided to put on a different hat. Some of them choose to ignore the problems they were having as software developers once they were managers, and some didn't. They are all competent though.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and ask for feedback.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paychex CEO Martin Mucci. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees.